A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Babylock BL3-407 Changed my needle and now NO stitches at all! Yay!  (Read 829 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RissaSan
« on: May 16, 2012 06:38:59 PM »

Wow, I have not posted using this Craftster account since I was 15!! Crazy how time flies, but here I am and in dire need of some crafty assistance.

My mother gave me life, and also the gift of serging with her Babylock bl3-407. She had used it for many years when she was my age, then packaged it up around '97 and there it sat in her craft space until this year. When we unpackaged it, it was still threaded! So we cleaned some dust out of the parts and I set to learning how to stitch on it. She still had the original manual and more, so when it came time for me to change threads, I didn't have any problems.

But THEN.
But then I had to go and get cocky and try to change the needle to a different size and weight for my fabric. That's when all hell broke loose, because I changed the needle (with a proper needle, mind you!) and rethreaded and... nothing. The machine literally does not form any stitch of any kind. At most, the needle thread will make a faux stitch on the front side of the fabric, but because the bottom two loopers aren't doing anything with eachother, the "stitches" can just be gently pulled out in one long unbroken piece. I have spent several hours trying to diagnose what is going on here, and so has my mother and I'm torn between throwing the damn thing out the window, and huddling in a corner away from it crying.

Does anyone have any kind of wisdom or experience they can impart? I realize the machine is older, but I can't understand how it could go into a box in good condition, come out of a box in good condition, be used gently, be threaded correctly and work, and then when a single needle is changed, just refuse to do anything. There has to be something I'm just missing in the complexity of the serger, right? All hope is not lost, right? RIGHT? Ugh. Anyway, if any of you crafty ladies or gents have any suggestions, I would be most appreciative.

Cheers,
Marisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Hate is easy, love takes courage ♥
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012 01:03:06 PM »

Have you completely unthreaded it and then rethreaded it?  I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me with various sergers I have used.  I swore up and down that I had it threaded correctly but then when I would take all the thread out and start from scratch...it would work. (?!?!?!?!) 

I have a Babylock BL3-418 and I have loved it.  It is a work-horse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Jaxster
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012 04:01:59 AM »

I've had this problem, once it turned out the needle was bent... You couldn't tell until I took it out. Another time it was in the wrong way.. The flat side goes against the shank,obvious I know... But I've made this mistake a couple of times.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Light Eye Makeup
How to Do Purple Eye Makeup
Summer Beauty Roundup
Stacy Keibler Talks Beauty at Her NewBeauty Cover Shoot
DIY Olive Oil And Honey Face Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...