A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help Whats the best way to make a replica of this shirt?  (Read 615 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fariyprincess
« on: June 25, 2005 07:30:09 PM »

Any clues? Is iorn best or silkscreening. Now i have a friend from church who has a factory that makes clothes and he has the machines at home but i am not sure which machines. I want to give him like an idea of some sort of what i want. I don't even know whch poem i am gonna use i am still in the process of finding a good one i am thinking of even using lyrics
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005 07:35:32 PM »

if he silk screens, that may be quite expensive.. i've never done it but i've heard its expensive.. you should check out the silk screening threads....

i think if you were to use iron ons (especially on a dark shirt, unless you use dark iron ons) you would have the filmy background in all the letters and spaces between words.. you've probably noticed it on the edges of iron on projects before

another alternative you may want to consider is free hand writing or painting it directly onto the shirt... i know there are good fabric markers out there... but i can't make any brand recomendations...

if you really want the shirt to be special (and have a lot of time to work on it) you could embroider...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
fariyprincess
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005 10:39:43 PM »

thanks for your input embroding would be an idea i want to buy like a chep cotton shirt liike from wal mart and hopefully whenever i find the recpie and make it look and feel vintage then do the wording but then the words won't look "worn" hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratjen37
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005 10:47:26 PM »

You could make some stencils (is the text on the shirt the same words/phrase over and over?), or if it's a paragraph you could just paint it out (with a tiny paintbrush to make it look handwritten).  If you want the "vintage" look, you could try acrylic paint, and do a thinner coat.  Wash the shirt a bunch b/f you paint, too, so maybe it looks more worn.

There's lots of tutes on this site for painting shirts (lots in the Stencil category), so check 'em out! I wouldn't recommend iron-on lettering for that, personally, just because A) it seems like it'd be more of a bitch to do, and B) it never feels quite as handmade and fun....

And while I'm here, BOO to Jessica Simpson, but I dig her shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Hobart, dishwasher as man and machine.
ratjen37
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005 10:49:12 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7746.0

I also just found this thread on how to make clothes look more vintage, but I think the paint would be fine.

Oh, and DON'T embroider it!  The shirt would be AMAZING if you did, but it would take like six years to finish.  Don't be that masochistic... Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Hobart, dishwasher as man and machine.
LRS
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005 03:42:43 AM »

A bleach pen might create an effect you like.  Practice first on scrap fabric (similar to the t-shirt) so you can test the look. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Lord Nibbler Futurama
How to Draw Lola
How to Draw Lin Chung
How to Draw Leonardo
How to Draw Leela
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...