A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cross Stitch: Wash or Don't Wash  (Read 1174 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JTravis10
« on: May 16, 2012 05:44:47 AM »

Hi All:

I am a quilter/knitter that is new to cross stitch.  I am finishing my first big project, and wanted feedback on whether or not to wash it.  In different books and different websites, people seem to feel very strongly about this.  Each side seems to think it is terrible if it is not done their way.  I would love to hear what you all think, and some pros and cons.  Thanks. 

Jack
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012 12:59:22 AM »

I've never really bothered.  None of them have gotten dirty enough during stitching to merit a wash in my opinion.  Smiley  I think Shout makes a special color catcher sheet thing that you can throw in with a wash when doing laundry.  It does work really well to prevent colors from running and ruining things.  I don't know if they work with hand washing, but I would guess that they would. 

If you do choose to, I have heard good things about hand washing with some special types of gentle soap made for needlework or any sort of gentle soap without artificial coloring. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012 08:59:17 AM »

I don't bother either, if I was going to wash my cross stitch, I would get it dry cleaned and blocked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meghacg
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012 05:55:50 PM »

Washing gently should be fine if it gets a bit dirty. Only thing to keep in mind is watch out if you've used red thread, they're more likely to leech... That and avoid hot water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EricaMarie
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012 08:56:53 PM »

I find washing them makes them feel sort of odd. Like when you dry jeans on a line & they get all stiff. The only time I wash is if it gets dirty (which is rare), but I use mostly hand-dyed floss & I'm afraid it'll bleed. I do have a bigger piece with a cat paw print almost dead center, it would not wash out Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
XenLoLo
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012 10:50:13 PM »

With my cross stitch projects, I do wash them. I get a glass brownie/casserole type of pan

( like pictured in this image - not my image!
http://iweb.cooking.com/images/products/enlarge/159018e.jpg)

fill it with warm water and just a little bit of mild dish soap. I then submerge and swish around my project to get it nice and wet, but not super sudsy or anything. then I rinse with cold water gently. Fold it up in a towel, pat it to get some water out and then take out my iron to iron it gently to get all the crinkles out from the hoop and dry it the rest of the way. I find that a lot of grease from my hands being on it comes off and once its ironed, its super nice to present to someone or frame etc. And it smells nice! haha. I do not throw it in the washer or anything like that. I don't know how that would turn out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlesquares
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012 11:27:09 AM »

I just commented on another post about this, but here's my two cents:

If you have a large amount of white that you don't want to be yellow, then WASH IT!

no matter how obsessive you are about washing your hands while sewing, the natural oils in your skin will collect on the threads and fabric and that will cause them to yellow at a much faster rate over time.

I've been watching this happen on one of my pieces that I had professionally framed before washing it in 2007 (p.s. i had originally said i framed it in 2005 in a different post but i am pretty sure it was actually 2007). I took the picture down when i moved 6 months ago then put it back up a couple days ago and was struck by how yellow the white had actually become. It wasn't TOTALLY dramatic but it was definitely not the white it used to be and it was not the way it should look only 5 years after completion.

I also like washing because it makes ironing out all of the crinkles and creases much easier and effective and framing it so much nicer and more professional looking.

I don't wash EVERYTHING before i frame it, mostly because i'm pretty lazy about it haha, but if there is a large proportion of white or light colors then I wash it for sure.

p.s. I use Orvus quilt soap to wash my pieces. and i do it the way XenLoLo described above
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012 11:28:23 AM by littlesquares » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for pictures of most of my work!
http://little-squares-cross-stitching.blogspot.com
stardustandcookiecrumbs
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012 07:50:50 AM »

With my cross stitch projects, I do wash them. I get a glass brownie/casserole type of pan

( like pictured in this image - not my image!
http://iweb.cooking.com/images/products/enlarge/159018e.jpg)

fill it with warm water and just a little bit of mild dish soap. I then submerge and swish around my project to get it nice and wet, but not super sudsy or anything. then I rinse with cold water gently. Fold it up in a towel, pat it to get some water out and then take out my iron to iron it gently to get all the crinkles out from the hoop and dry it the rest of the way. I find that a lot of grease from my hands being on it comes off and once its ironed, its super nice to present to someone or frame etc. And it smells nice! haha. I do not throw it in the washer or anything like that. I don't know how that would turn out.

This is basically what I do. I've only been cross-stitching for a few months but my mother has been for 25+ years and this is what she taught me. I roll mine in a thicker cotton dish towel to absorb most of the water then iron between the folds of a thinner cotton towel (such as the single layered ones that are often embroidered).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Chewy Flourless Chocolate Cookie Recipe
Easy to Make Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies
Easy Chocolate Covered Bacon Recipe
Easy Homemade Molten Chocolate Cake Recipe
Easy to Make Homemade Truffles
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...