A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Horrible book  (Read 1059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
« on: May 15, 2012 01:43:36 PM »

I read a book a while back that I didn't like. I hated it and for me to say that about a book means it was pretty bad. I mean, I read anything and everything, but this book was so bad I don't even remember the title.

But I kept it because you don't throw book away, right? Even horrible ones that make you want to break windows don't get thrown away just out of respect for books in general. But that's what swaps are for. When I took the dust jacket off I learned that the actual book was not embossed with the book info, which is really weird but worked really well for my project.

Personalized for my partner. She marked out her last name here, which I don't blame her for. (I'm actually stealing these first 2 pictures from her C-ster photo hosting. I should probably also mention this swap was done a while ago, like 2 years ago I think.)

I glued the pages together, cut out the middle, and made a secret compartment, complete with her favorite picture of the swap's Star, Emily Autumn.

But the real star of the show is what I did with the pages I cut out. I couldn't throw those away, either, because they were still part of the book (I know, I'm bad) so I blended them up with some roses and made this:

It's a bowl, if you can't tell. Unfortunately it didn't survive shipping around the world so well, but I think she got it fixed Embarrassed It was a lot of fun molding the paper on the bowl, but it was hell waiting for it to dry. I'm not one much for patience.

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 02:39:18 PM »

I love the idea of the bowl, and the altered book even more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
EerieNoodles
I may not be perfect, but I'm so close it's almost eerie.

Trust Life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012 03:54:36 PM »

Omg, what a great idea!
As a former librarian I love books too, but some of them vex me. You've made this one beautiful and useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spidermom
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012 08:43:01 PM »

cutting up/tearing up books is horrifying!
but you made lovely stuff with it so its A-OK!
the bowl is just gorgeous, love it <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ramblings-- http://friendlyneighborhoodspidermom.blogspot.com/
more stuff--http://www.pinterest.com/spidermom78/
jexxican
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012 05:48:43 PM »

Generally I would have been mortified to destroy any book but this one was sooooo bad I was actually really glad to do it. It was started by one person then he died and Stephen King's wife finished it, so if you come upon a book like that DON'T READ IT! And me telling anyone to NOT read is amazing. I'll read literally anything, except Twilight and "romance" novels.

And I know you guys can't see it but the bowl was really cool because you could still tell that it was made using literature because of the lettering still being apparent on the paper. And the roses in it kind of leached out kind of some sepia coloring making it look really old, like I'd used a really old book. It was amazing. I should try it again sometime, but... books!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Filming and Editing Tech Videos
Tips for Conducting an Interview
Walter Mosley Talks Adapting Books to Films
That Awkward Moment Junket
The Nut Job
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...