A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Placemat Quilted with Decorative Stitches using the BERNINA 350PE  (Read 1814 times)
Tags for this thread: sponsored_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 15, 2012 10:33:28 AM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here.
* To read more about the machine used in this project, explore BERNINA's website here.

Placemat Quilted with Decorative Stitches using the BERNINA 350PE

I've been meaning to make a placemat to put under my daughter's plates and bowls when she eats.  At four years old, she frequently makes a mess while eating and a placemat would greatly reduce the cleanup time after meals.  Luckily, the BERNINA 350 Patchwork Edition comes with walking foot.  A walking foot is great for sewing projects with multiple layers like a placemat because it helps ensure that your top layers are feeding at the same rate as your bottom layers.    

I wasn't really interested in making a placemat of particular proportions so I simply picked out my fabrics and started cutting.  The first thing I did was cut out a rectangle of fabric slightly larger than what I wanted the finished size to be for the back of the placemat.  I also cut some batting the same size as my rectangle of fabric for padding.  I then randomly cut out smaller rectangular panels of coordinating fabric.  I made sure that when they were pieced together they would roughly equal the size of the backing I cut out. I also grabbed some double fold bias tape from my stash.

I sewed the smaller rectangular panels together in strips so that they would be easy to piece together.  The three smallest rectangular panels on the right lined up nicely for one long strip.  I sewed the flower and the striped blue panels together and then sewed the striped red/orange/green panel to that.

It helps keep your final pieced panel nice and smooth if you iron the seams down as you sew.  It is definitely an extra step but I find that it makes the finished product a lot nicer.

When I was done, my final front panel was roughly the same size as the fabric that I cut out for the back of the placemat.

I sandwiched the batting between the backing and the front fabric panel.  The right sides of the backing and the front fabric panel should face out like they would on the finished product.  

Then it was time to use the walking foot.  It was really easy to switch feet.  To remove the current foot, you just pull this little lever and pull gently on the foot.  It slides off.  Then you push the new foot into place and push the lever back to lock the foot into place.

When attaching the walking foot, you need to make sure that the "U" shaped arm is hooked onto the screw that you use to replace the sewing needle.  It is what helps the foot "walk" on the fabric to feed the layers through evenly.

After the walking foot was attached, I simply started stitching the placemat.  

I had a lot of fun trying out different stitches on the placemat.  I was curious how well they would come out using the walking foot.  As you can see the BERNINA 350PE works just as nicely with the walking foot.

The BERNINA even stitches a great blanket stitch.  Cheesy

After quilting the layers together, all that left was to attach the bias tape.

I then cut a length of double fold bias tape a little longer than the length of one of my sides.  I opened it up and placed it right side down on the front of my placemat, matching the edges up with the edge of the placemat.  I simply straight stitched down the length.

If you don't want any raw edges on your bias tape, fold down the little edge of the bias tape before sewing. You only have to do it for the strip that is on top.  So for the first strip you don't have to do it all, for the second and third you need to fold down the first end, and both ends for the last strip.

When I was done, I decided that the little linen panel needed something.  The great thing about the BERNINA is that you can stitch letters and since it has a memory you can save combinations of letters to stitch words.  I decided to go with "eat" followed by a little heart stitch.  

To select a letter, I hit the "A" button.  The arrow buttons on either side of the "A" button allow you to scroll through the options.

To save it in the memory, I hit the memory button located directly above the "A" button.  You use the exact same process to save stitches except you hit the "#" button and enter the stitch number first and then hit the memory button to save.  

Look at how fun that stitch is!

I loved using the walking foot for this placemat.  I have tried to make layered projects before and it's a pain trying to make sure that all layers are fed through evenly.  Often I end up with a tiny bunch at the end. Even though I used a ton of different stitches and sewed them every which way possible, the fabric never puckered or bunched oddly.  

The best part was being able to use such fun stitches with the walking foot.  

I've never made a quilt but I'm thinking I need to before I have to send this machine back.  

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 01:08:23 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 10:45:50 AM »

Love how you incorporated the decorative stitching, rlynn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012 11:47:41 AM »

I LOVE the eat stitch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012 12:07:47 PM »

How cool that you could personalize what you made and quilt with the stitches at the same time!  Is that a buttonhole stitch I see? It is just so neat and tidy!

I like how easy it was to replace the feet...I know my older machines are a pain because you have to unscrew a bolt and then screw it back in! UGH!

Cute fabric and cute project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susanab
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012 12:11:27 PM »

just when ive convinced myself that i don't need no fancy stitches....awwww, they just add so much fun! nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012 02:01:04 PM »

The little EAT<3 stitches and the blanket stitches are to die for! I feel like it would be so amazing to quilt a big bed sized quilt with these fancy stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012 02:01:58 PM »

Super cute! I think I need a whole set of placemats like this! Absolutely love the decorative stitching on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012 05:03:52 PM »

Oh wow, I'm learning so much reading about all these projects.  A walking foot, how handy!  And it look so easy!  Such a pretty little placemat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Head-to-Toe Fashions For Less Than $50
How To Wear Trendy Short Suits
2013 MTV Movie Awards: Red Carpet Fashion - Selena Gomez, Emma Watson
Kim Kardashian Dons Some Sexy Maternity Wear at the MTV Movie Awards
Cheap Ways to Rock Coral For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...