A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Luggage tags using the BERNINA 350PE  (Read 8762 times)
Tags for this thread: sponsored_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 15, 2012 10:31:38 AM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here.
* To read more about the machine used in this project, explore BERNINA's website here.

Luggage tags using the BERNINA 350PE

Early this April I traveled to San Diego for a conference.  Waiting at the San Diego airport baggage claim, I suddenly became aware of a problem.  I own a black bag.  And so does every other single person apparently. As I watched black bag after black bag roll out onto the carousel, I realized that my life would be easier if I had a cheerful luggage tag to catch my eye.  

Good thing I'm crafty.  

I checked out a few tutorials online but they were all a bit too complicated for me.  We are talking about a luggage tag after all and I didn't really wish to spend an inordinate amount of time making one.  So I decided to come up with my own design.  And then I made seven of them.  This is a super simple project but the nice thing about the BERNINA 350 Patchwork Edition is that with so many decorative stitch options, the luggage tag doesn't have to look boring.

The first step is to gather and prepare all the supplies.  To make one luggage tag, I used:
  • Sturdy fusible stabilizer - 10 inches by 3 inches
  • Fabric - 10.5 inches by 3.5 inches
  • Clear vinyl - 4 inches by 2.5 inches (get the thicker kind, it's easier for the machine to sew)
  • 1/2 inch double fold bias tape - 3 inches
  • Grosgrain ribbon - 17 inches

But really, if you are making one, you might as well make several. I started out with three but quickly realized that I should just make up a bunch.  I think they would make lovely gifts for people who like to travel.

I wanted my luggage tag to have that gift tag look, so I trimmed off the corners.  

When I was done cutting one side, I just folded the stabilizer in half and used the freshly trimmed corners as a guide to cut the other side.

Then I put my 10.5 by 3.5 fabric piece right side down and then centered the stabilizer on top of it.  I carefully folded and then ironed the edges over all the way around the stabilizer.  

When I was done one side had folded over raw edges and the other side looked nice and crisp.

I then prepped the vinyl window by taking the 3 inch long piece of double fold bias tape and sandwiching the vinyl between the layers.

I placed my bias tape and vinyl sandwich under the presser foot.  The foot I am using is an open embroidery foot, snap on sole #20.  I like it quite a lot because of its open design which gives you a good view of your fabric and stitches.  

Selecting a stitch is really quite easy with the BERNINA.  You simply find the stitch you want to use on the handy reference card.  The decorative stitches are numbered 23-74.  In order to select the stitch you want, push the button marked with a "#" sign, and then enter the desired stitch number on the number pad located on the front of the sewing machine.  Here I am selecting my favorite stitch, stitch 68, which produces the sweetest leaf design.  

The little edge of your window is a perfect canvas for decorative stitching.  With the BERNINA, finding a decorative stitch is not a problem; it's choosing one that becomes the challenge.  Of course, since I was making seven of them, I wasn't limited in my choices.  I trimmed the bias tape so that it was flush with the vinyl.

After I prepped my vinyl window, I took the fabric covered stabilier and placed the vinyl window on it so that the decorated bias tape edge was tucked just under the beveled edge.  Using the zig zag stitch, I attached the window to the fabric covered stabilizer, making sure to leave the decorated bias tape edge open.  A lot of people have trouble sewing vinyl because it has a tendency to want to stick.  I actually have a special teflon foot for my other sewing machine when sewing tricky vinyl and leather.  But I didn't have any of those problems using the BERNINA 350PE.  She stitched through it all without even a hiccup.

It should look like this when you are done.

Then I folded over the 17 inch grosgrain ribbon, folded the fabric covered stabilizer, and sandwiched the ribbon in between the open edges of the stabilizer.  Using a zig zag stitch I secured the ribbon.  

The final step is to sew all the way around the tag with a straight stitch.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the BERNINA can sew through two layers of super durable stabilizer without a hitch.  

And now I have a luggage tag to help me find my bag amongst the sea of suit cases on the baggage carousel.  I'm also thinking this would work lovely for ID badge holders if you just make the ribbon long enough to fit over your head.

See?  Much better.  My black suitcase suddenly became just a little bit snazzier.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 01:06:50 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

susanab
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 12:27:45 PM »

how sweet are these?!
these will make terrific gifts--it's also a nice way to say, "honey, we are going on vacay!!"
thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.com
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012 12:51:44 PM »

Great project idea and something you can also do for gift tags. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012 01:58:31 PM »

These are totally adorable and look pretty easy! But I'm most impressed with how much stabilizer that machine was able to go through. As someone currently stuck on a project right now because my machine won't go through that same stabilizer I'm definitely jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012 02:03:59 PM »

We always tie a bright ribbon on our bags when traveling, but these would be so much classier and cuter! Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012 04:45:20 PM »

Those totally would snazz up a black suitcase!  They don't seem too terribly difficult to make either!  Thanks so much for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012 05:06:22 PM »

Ahhh, these would double wonderfully as gift tags and luggage tags.  The decorative stitches are so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012 06:33:39 PM »

LOVE these! They would make perfect gifts for my coworkers who are always travelling. Another great use for little fabric pieces too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Acne in Photoshop CS3
How to Remove Dark Circles Under Eyes and Wrinkles in Photoshop CS3
How to Remove Red Eye in Photoshop CS3
How to Rename a Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Rename a Layer in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...