A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Bucket using the BERNINA 350PE  (Read 1268 times)
Tags for this thread: sponsored_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 15, 2012 10:30:39 AM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here.
* To read more about the machine used in this project, explore BERNINA's website here.

Fabric Bucket using the BERNINA 350PE

I collect clutter like nothing else.  I have come to realize that rather than fight the urge I just need to find ways to hide it.  Fabric buckets are a great way to do just that.  Here's a super simple tutorial for making a set of fabric buckets of your own.  With the BERNINA 350 Patchwork Edition, sewing through the thick canvas that gives these buckets their shape is a snap.

You need:
Fabric - cut into a rectangle the size of your choice.  This one is roughly 16 inches x 9 inches.  Fold the fabric in half for a rough idea of how big your finished bucket will be. I do recommend that if your pieces are larger than 24 x 16, you might want to consider using some interfacing or other stabilizer to help your bucket keep its shape.  
Canvas - cut to the same size as the fabric

You will find a straight edge and dressmaker's chalk handy but they aren't essential.

First, I got the BERNINA 350PE ready to do a little work.  The BERNINA 350PE has several little features that make sewing a more relaxing process.  I am rather fond of the little needle threader.  My first machine had one, but when I moved up to a better machine, I was aghast to discover it had no threader.  I was happy to see one on the BERNINA.

In addition, BERNINA has put a thread cutter in just about every place you might need one.  This is great for folks like me who tend to forget to haul their scissors to the sewing table.  There is one on the upper left side of the machine.

There is also one near the bobbin winder for when you are done winding your bobbin.

And finally one located inside the chamber that holds the bobbin while you are sewing.  

Once the BERNINA was threaded and ready to go, I took my two rectangle pieces and folded them together so the short ends met.  On the canvas it doesn't appear to matter which side, but the fabric should be right sides together.  Then I used a straight stitch to secure both sides of the fabric.  I left the short ends, opposite the fold, open.  If you check out my other projects, it will become apparent that I am in love with snap on sole #20.  It's an open embroidery foot which allows you to view your fabric and the stitches more easily.  I am a control freak so this totally appeals to me.  

I did the same with the canvas but I left a 2 inch opening in the middle of one side.  This is important so you can turn your bucket right side out later.

I matched up the side seams on both pieces.

Then I folded the canvas and the fabric so I was left with what looked like houses.  

To create the base of the bucket, I took a ruler and dressmakers chalk and marked a sewing line roughly 3 inches in from the tip of the point.  The deeper the line the more narrow the base.

I kept them as similar as possible since they are nested together in the final step.

I stitched along the lines I marked on both the fabric and canvas.  This is where I really noticed a difference between the BERNINA 350PE and my old machine.  I have made these buckets before and sewing over the side seam on the canvas can be difficult since the canvas is three - four layers thick there. I didn't even notice on the BERNINA; she really handles the canvas smoothly.  I might have to make up a ton of these as gifts before I have to return her.  

After all the corners were sewn, I snipped them off leaving roughly 1/4 of an edge from the seam.  

I then turned the canvas so the seams were on the inside.  Here you can see the 2 inch opening I left in the canvas when I stitched up the sides.  

I placed the canvas inside the fabric and shifted it around until they fit neatly together.  Not sure if you can see in the photo, but the canvas part had the seams facing inside and the fabric had the seams facing outside.  The rights sides of both should be facing each other; this is extremely important.

I stitched along the top edge to secure them both together, making sure to backstitch at the beginning and the end.

Then I reached into the hole on the canvas and pulled the whole thing right side out.  I used a ladder stitch to close up the opening.

I pushed the canvas back inside the fabric.  Look, it's a bucket, perfect for stashing trinkets.  I highly recommend that if you are making one, to just go ahead and make two or three.  

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 01:05:00 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fishydrew3
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 11:22:47 AM »

Thanks!!  I just made one for my daughter to put some small toys in.  It looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To each their own
DawnsTrees
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012 01:56:10 PM »

Cute! I can see a ton of uses for these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012 05:22:44 PM »

These are such a great idea!  I totally have clutter to hide!  Better to hide it inside some cute fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Do megapixels really matter on digital cameras?
How to Photograph Running Water
How to Photograph Landscapes
Photographing a Common Toad
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...