A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
785 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hello BERNINA 350PE!  (Read 689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 15, 2012 10:28:17 AM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here.
* To read more about the machine used in this project, explore BERNINA's website here.

Hello BERNINA 350PE!

Hi!  My name is Robin, also known as rlynn around the boards.  I applied for the chance to be a Master Craftster, but I didn't really think I would get chosen so imagine my surprise when I found out that I would get my hands on a BERNINA sewing machine.  Squee!  

I was partially raised by my Grandma Betty, who was an original Jill of all trades.  I grew up watching her make all sorts of things, mostly sewn goods.  She lived through the depression era so she had a tendency to hold onto everything in the hopes of turning it into something new.  Ha!  And I wonder why I have a hard time throwing anything away. One of my favorite memories is sifting through her big box full of buttons. While I definitely picked up the craft bug from her, I didn't turn to sewing until I was 27 and pregnant with my daughter.  My husband bought me a cheap little machine from a big box store and I sewed until I literally killed the thing.  By then, I discovered my love of sewing, so, of course, I had to buy a new machine.

My favorite things to sew are quick projects that can be completed in one night.  I'm notoriously impatient and I like seeing the finished product the same night that I start it.  I'm also super busy with raising my glorious little Aria Jae, going to school full time to get my doctoral degree, and teaching an undergraduate class.  Quick projects don't eat up a lot of time and they still feed my soul.  And that is what sewing is for me... it's a time to rejuvenate.  In a way it's my own form of meditation.  

When I heard I had been selected to try out a BERNINA, I was actually a little nervous.  I get attached to my sewing machines.  I get so comfortable with them that trying out a new machine can sometimes be awkward.  It's like going on a date after you've been with the same person for years.  But I was also super excited; I've never used a machine of this caliber before.  

The BERNINA 350PE came with an automatic buttonhole foot as well as a presser foot with four different snap on soles. I fell in love with snap on sole #20, which is an open embroidery foot.  I liked having a clear view of the fabric and stitches.

She also came with bobbins, needles, and thread... (not pictured is the fun variegated thread and the fifth bobbin because they are currently being used)

If that wasn't enough, BERNINA also included a walking foot with three different soles.

And finally an assortment of accessories like oil, a brush, screwdrivers, and compensating plates (you ask what those are? Read about them in my Easy Dress project).

Once I got over my nervousness, the BERNINA 350PE was incredibly easy to use.   I'm in love with just about everything about her... the numerous decorative stitches, the strong motor, the gorgeous and EASY buttonholes... In fact, I've fallen so in love with the BERNINA 350PE that every time I mention having to send her back, I follow it up with a little sigh.  I don't know that anybody is catching onto my hints!  

Thank you Craftster and BERNINA for the wonderful opportunity to try out this delightful machine!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 01:04:29 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 02:17:39 PM »

You and that Bernina look like you were made for each other!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stacy Keibler Dishes On Her Red-Carpet Style
Cozy Up in These Cute Kitschy Sweaters Right Now
Get Stars Looks For Less From Celeb Boutique
Capes No Longer For Superheroes
Prabal Gurung For Target
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...