A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,914
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop


Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stuffed James "Sulley" Sullivan using the BERNINA 330  (Read 994 times)
Tags for this thread: sponsored_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+
 
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Offline Offline

Posts: 4677
Joined: 21-Jan-2010

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger


View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 15, 2012 10:03:53 AM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here.
* To read more about the machine used in this project, explore BERNINA's website here.

Stuffed James "Sulley" Sullivan using the BERNINA 330

My son will be three this May and he LOVES the movie Monsters, Inc. We are even planning a monster themed birthday party.  His favorite character is actually Mike Wazowski, but when I made a stuffed Mike a few weeks ago, the first words out of his mouth were, "Can you make Sulley, too?"  What else could I say but, "Of course"?



This guy is made from a modified version of Draw! Pilgrim's Chewbacca pattern.  I added the horns, shortened the legs, and altered the face to look like Sulley.

I found some awesome turquoise fleece in the fabric store that was the perfect color for Sulley, but I needed to add some purple spots.  A little bit of paint fixed that problem.  I had a helper for this part:



Once the paint dried, it was time to start sewing.  I was a little nervous because my old machine hated sewing fleece.  I would have skipped stitches all over the place and always had to decrease the stitch length to compensate.  So I tested the fleece by sewing each of the arms and legs right sides together with an opening at the top for stuffing.  To be even more daring, I decided to use stitch #8, the overlocking stitch, since my son will likely be a little rough on the finished product, and I wanted the seams to be able to take a beating.  I set my BERNINA 330 to the desired stitch:



Oh - it looks like I need presser foot number two for this stitch (see the #2 down by the foot icon?).  A quick switch and I'm ready!



The BERNINA 330 flew through the fleece without any problems!  No stitch length adjustment necessary!  And I love how I can see the layers on the right side of the overlock foot, which ensures that I catch all my layers.



All that thread burned through my bobbin pretty quickly.  Since the machine came with a fully wound bobbin out of the box, I had yet to wind my own bobbin.  Once I pushed the engaging lever against the bobbin, the thread started winding all on its own!  I didn't even need to use my foot!



The bobbin stopped winding automatically, too.  Once it was safely back in its casing, I was ready for some detail work on Sulley.  I really needed some extra space here, so I was glad that I had the slide-on table for the BERNINA 330.  It gave me a nice flat surface to work on.  



Another great feature of this machine is that the foot control pedal is so wide.  It really helped me gain the level of control I needed.  With the wide pedal, it was easy to adjust from going fast for those straight stitches, to slow for the details and curves.



Once I had the details of Sulley's face completed, I placed his front and back pieces together, with his arms and horns tucked in between, making a nice monster sandwich:



Again, I got a little nervous when It came time to sew all those layers together, but the BERNINA 330 didn't even notice.



By the way, all this sewing took place during nap time, and my son didn't even stir.  This machine is quiet!!

I flipped Sulley right side out, stuffed his body with poly-fill, attached his legs with an overlock stitch along the bottom seam of the body, and he was done!

And of course, where would Sulley be without Mike?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 01:10:39 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Offline Offline

Posts: 31272
Joined: 25-Sep-2004

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.


View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 11:15:28 AM »

LOVE IT! Such the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
 
Jump to:  



FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search



your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Siddhartha Mukherjee on the Emperor of All Maladies
C.J. Chivers Talks About the Gun
Author Ann Pearlman Talks About the Christmas Cookie Club
Found Book Trailer by Margaret Peterson Haddix
A Courtesan’s Scandal Book Trailer by Julia London
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping




Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2014, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.