A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 303,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stuffed James "Sulley" Sullivan using the BERNINA 330  (Read 1371 times)
Tags for this thread: sponsored_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Offline Offline

Posts: 5296
Joined: 21-Jan-2010

All you need is love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 15, 2012 10:03:53 AM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here.
* To read more about the machine used in this project, explore BERNINA's website here.

Stuffed James "Sulley" Sullivan using the BERNINA 330

My son will be three this May and he LOVES the movie Monsters, Inc. We are even planning a monster themed birthday party.  His favorite character is actually Mike Wazowski, but when I made a stuffed Mike a few weeks ago, the first words out of his mouth were, "Can you make Sulley, too?"  What else could I say but, "Of course"?

This guy is made from a modified version of Draw! Pilgrim's Chewbacca pattern.  I added the horns, shortened the legs, and altered the face to look like Sulley.

I found some awesome turquoise fleece in the fabric store that was the perfect color for Sulley, but I needed to add some purple spots.  A little bit of paint fixed that problem.  I had a helper for this part:

Once the paint dried, it was time to start sewing.  I was a little nervous because my old machine hated sewing fleece.  I would have skipped stitches all over the place and always had to decrease the stitch length to compensate.  So I tested the fleece by sewing each of the arms and legs right sides together with an opening at the top for stuffing.  To be even more daring, I decided to use stitch #8, the overlocking stitch, since my son will likely be a little rough on the finished product, and I wanted the seams to be able to take a beating.  I set my BERNINA 330 to the desired stitch:

Oh - it looks like I need presser foot number two for this stitch (see the #2 down by the foot icon?).  A quick switch and I'm ready!

The BERNINA 330 flew through the fleece without any problems!  No stitch length adjustment necessary!  And I love how I can see the layers on the right side of the overlock foot, which ensures that I catch all my layers.

All that thread burned through my bobbin pretty quickly.  Since the machine came with a fully wound bobbin out of the box, I had yet to wind my own bobbin.  Once I pushed the engaging lever against the bobbin, the thread started winding all on its own!  I didn't even need to use my foot!

The bobbin stopped winding automatically, too.  Once it was safely back in its casing, I was ready for some detail work on Sulley.  I really needed some extra space here, so I was glad that I had the slide-on table for the BERNINA 330.  It gave me a nice flat surface to work on.  

Another great feature of this machine is that the foot control pedal is so wide.  It really helped me gain the level of control I needed.  With the wide pedal, it was easy to adjust from going fast for those straight stitches, to slow for the details and curves.

Once I had the details of Sulley's face completed, I placed his front and back pieces together, with his arms and horns tucked in between, making a nice monster sandwich:

Again, I got a little nervous when It came time to sew all those layers together, but the BERNINA 330 didn't even notice.

By the way, all this sewing took place during nap time, and my son didn't even stir.  This machine is quiet!!

I flipped Sulley right side out, stuffed his body with poly-fill, attached his legs with an overlock stitch along the bottom seam of the body, and he was done!

And of course, where would Sulley be without Mike?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 01:10:39 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Offline Offline

Posts: 33891
Joined: 25-Sep-2004

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 11:15:28 AM »

LOVE IT! Such the best!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 DIY Face Masks Made With Superfoods
How to Find Your Bridal Beauty Team
Pop Art Halloween Makeup Tutorial
Scary Halloween Mask Tutorial: Damsel of Death
How to Do Doll Makeup for Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2015, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.