A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: securing capelet to ballet costume?  (Read 683 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2012 10:01:50 AM »

So I'm doing costumes for my daughters' ballet studio.  They're doing Little Red Riding Hood.  I've made the costume for Red, and the satiny capelet.  But that thing slides around like crazy when she dances!  I need to somehow secure it, but it has to be removable.  She isn't wearing it at the beginning of the first scene.  Then the mother puts it on her, and she immediately exits the stage.  This is when something could be fiddled with to secure it, before she goes on in the next scene.

Sorry, the capelet is at the studio so they can practice with it.  So no picture, but it's pretty basic.  Ties at the front neck.  We'll stick bobby pins in to secure the hood, but I need to think of something for the shoulders.

The strap is underneath the peasant top.  I'm sure there's a simple solution, but my brain is a little fried from working on ballet costumes about 20 hours a week for the past three months!  It's a good thing it gets me a hefty discount on the girls' tuition, or the stress would outweigh the fun.  Thanks for any and all suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 11:18:38 AM by dulcet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 11:50:33 AM »

If the peasant top will stretch a little, put press-studs (?snaps in american english?) or velcro on the straps and the capelet. That should help it stay in place without moving. If that doesn't work, if the material is too heavy, then you could add ribbons to the fastening at the front on both sides that would be long enough to cross over in front, then go underneath the arms and tie/fasten at the back.

Those are the first solutions that come to mind, otherwise, I will think a little harder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012 12:32:01 PM »

So I did end up putting a little tab of bias tape inside the capelet that snaps closed around the leotard straps.  Red said that it worked just fine, but I didn't get to see, as I was in back helping.  I always wonder if they just say that so they don't hurt my feelings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Lip Liner
Double Dare: The Right Way To Brighten Up Your Eyes
Beauty Test Lab: Becca Brush
Expert Reveals Summer Habits That Are Harmful To Your Skin
Beauty Test Lab: One Minute Polish
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...