A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilted Fabric Cuff using the BERNINA 330  (Read 1146 times)
Tags for this thread: sponsored_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 15, 2012 10:01:44 AM »

Sponsored Content
* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here.
* To read more about the machine used in this project, explore BERNINA's website here.

Quilted Fabric Cuff using the BERNINA 330

Looking for a project to help you use all those odds and ends left over from other projects?  How about a fabric cuff?

I used a selection of green fabrics from my scrap pile for this project, and one subtly patterned white piece for accent.  I cut each piece into rectangles 2 inches wide and 4 inches long.

Then it was time to sew.  This was my first project on my BERNINA 330, so I had to set up my thread, including my bobbin.  This part always gives me anxiety with a new machine because I used my first machine for years with a bobbin tension problem I couldn't seem to fix.  With the BERNINA, a thread cutter next to the bobbin housing cuts the bobbin thread to just the right length, so you don't even have to pull the thread through!  No anxiety here!

The BERNINA 330 has this flashy computer screen that tells you what stitch you've selected, the needle position, stitch width and length, and even the number of the presser foot you should be using.  These were the default settings for stitch #1, the straight stitch:

I just kept it here and started sewing!  Super simple - the machine does all the work!  To secure my stitches, I used the quick reverse button, conveniently located right where my hand happened to be every time I needed it.

Once I had all my scraps stitched together, I folded the new patched piece of fabric in half and ironed all my seams.

Then, I sewed a piece of batting (also in my scrap bin!) to the fabric side of one end of my cuff.  The BERNINA 330 came with so many tools and accessories, I didn't know what half of them were for!  The height compensating tool sure came in handy for this project.  I placed it next to my cuff to help the feed dogs catch my fabric.  Perfect for a close-to-the-edge seam!

I folded the cuff back on itself with the batting sandwiched in the middle, and top stitched the two sides.  For the ends, I rolled the fabric and batting over and sewed in place.  Here's another spot where the height compensating tool came in handy:

See how without it, the foot sits at a slant?

Problem solved!

I then had the difficult task of choosing one of the 40 stitches to add some decorative embellishments to my seams.

I went with #40.  Again, all the details were taken care of by the BERNINA, I just started sewing!

Lastly, I added the button hole.  The BERNINA 330 came with an automatic button hole foot.  I chose stitch #10 for the button hole, chose my location and started sewing.  When the left side of the button hole reached the length I needed for my button, I hit the quick reverse button once and the machine took over from there, completing the rest of the button hole with just a press of my foot!

Perfect button hole:

A few hand-sewn attachments, and your cuff is ready to be worn!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012 01:09:34 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 01:31:39 PM »

I love that automatic buttonhole foot.  Lovely project, Abbeeroad. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012 06:32:14 PM »

So many pretty decorative stitches available!

I love this idea. I have tons of fabric scraps that I can't seem to part with. This would be a cute project for them. Hmmm... maybe xmas gifts for all the cousins this year Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 4
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 3
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 2
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Dreamweaver - Overview
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...