A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Daughter's Prom Dress - No More Circle Skirt Hems Please!  (Read 4416 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2012 06:16:55 AM »

As we all know, finding things off the rack that actually FIT is darn near impossible. Well this was my daughter's senior year, her last prom, and I didn't want her to have to go through all the heartbreak of finding the perfect dress in the shop and then not being able to get her fit. So we went a little different direction this year. I decided we'd buy a corset (no, I didn't make that part) and then build a dress around that. We ordered the corset online and had a hard time understanding the fitting guidelines because we didn't want it to be too tight but tight enough to be slimming. Needless to say, we had to send it back a few times and we were getting to the wire of having to have it. The last resend we received from the corset company was exactly the size we needed, but somehow in a different style (we had ordered an all black one, yet somehow received a white with black one). We didn't have time to send it back and still get the rest of the dress made, so we went with it. Turned out to be a really good mistake!

So anyway, I made the skirt and the purple "top" that went under the corset. I say "top" because it was actually just a length of fabric draped over her neck and tacked with a few stitches in the front and back. It was made about 20 minutes before she was supposed to walk out the door. I guess it would be better termed a modesty panel than an actual top! LOL  The skirt was just three different length circle skirts gathered onto the waistband and the final hemming of these skirts got finished about 30 minutes before she was due to walk out the door! Needless to say, I was sweatin' it!

But all worked out in the end and she was very pleased with the final outcome. She received lots of compliments and had a great night!

The Front (She's her father's, I'd never stick my tongue out in a picture!  Wink):

The Back (We replaced the black cording with purple):

The Attitude!  Cool:

I would just like to point out that I am exceedingly new at sewing with a machine and this is my first garment with it! If I can do it, trust me, anyone can!

And now she wants me to make her graduation dress! Ok, but just NO MORE CIRCLE SKIRTS TO HEM PLEASE!!  Shocked

Comments and critiques greatly appreciated!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

47 different personalities and a craft for each one! Wink
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 09:05:42 AM »

That looks spectacular. I'm so glad she's happy with it, anyone ought to be. The purple looks so good with it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012 10:06:50 AM »

looks great.  I love how the skirt and corset compliment each other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012 04:47:54 PM »

Wow! Looks great. And the way you've made it, perhaps there will be options to wear the two pieces in other ways as well, so it won't be like the one-off dress that lives in the cupboard forever-after. The shoes were a great finishing touch too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012 05:12:30 PM »

Thank you all so much! It's great to hear when I had sweated it so badly! Shocked)  And yeah, j_en, we were kind of thinking that way too. The corset would look great with jeans and a jacket and the skirt can always be worn for some of the "fancier" events she'll be going to in college! And the shoes...probably 15 different stores to find the right ones! She'll love knowing someone else noticed them! Thanks again all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

time
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012 02:50:36 PM »

Looks great! I feel your pain on the hems. Hemming circle skirts just suuuuuuuuuucks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StitchWench
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012 07:15:54 AM »

Your daughter should be rapt with that ensemble! It's fabulous. I'm a shoe-aholic & the shoes are amazing. I love the black & white theme with the accents of purple, so clever. Next time the accents could be hot pink, sizzling green, brilliant blue . . . the list is endless. Congratulations to both of you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012 04:44:21 AM »

Yeah, time, you put that very well! Still unfortunately a bit of an understatement in my opinion, but we'll go with it!! LOL

StitchWench...yeah, she was quite proud of both the dress and the shoes and is looking for any excuse she can to wear both!! I think it would look great with the other bright colors too...but we'll keep it a secret, otherwise she'll be expecting me to get more fabrics and cords to keep up with the looks!  Wink

Thank you both for the props!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SHELIAANN1969
Crazy 4 Crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012 06:21:29 AM »

WOW! It's gorgeous! I am 43 but I want one of those *prom dresses*! lol

You did a fantastic job, I am in awe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ToadallyDee

"Ugly Toad Girl"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012 02:21:55 PM »

Thanks so much SHELIAANN1969!! Trust me when I say, though, that if I can make it...you certainly can too!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tricks to Dressing Slimmer
How To Dress For A Sporting Event
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Plus-Size Style Tips
Best Dressed Stars: Sports Illustrated Model, NYFW and More
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...