A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sharpies. Alcohol. T shirt. ;D  (Read 2079 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2012 06:40:23 PM »

Grin This was such a fun recon.
This

started out life as this..

Using this tutorial as inspiration, I set to work attacking my rather boring plain white T with a multitude of coloured sharpies and rubbing alcohol. It's a wicked easy technique, so much so that my not-quite 5 year old Bear was working on his own shirt at the same time. Stretch the clean T shirt over the top of a plastic cup, holding it in place with an elastic band. Draw on your design with sharpies. Then drop rubbing alcohol (or vodka, whatever floats your boat..) on to the ink and watch your wonderfully psychedelic pattern emerge. Once it's dry, chuck it in the dryer to heat set the colours.. et voila, one fabulously coloured shirt created by your own fair hand.
I live in tank tops in the summer, so of course the shirt had to give it's life (and sleeves) to my tank top collection. I took in the sides, then cut the neckline into a tank (yay rotary cutter!). I finished the raw edges of the neck and arm holes with binding made from the scraps. It's not bias binding because I couldn't cut enough from the remnants on the bias. Cut into strips 1.5" wide, as long as the scraps would allow, and then folded around the raw edges, and top stitched with a zig-zag to allow enough stretch to be comfy and wearable, the binding itself is left with raw edges to it will roll and fray with wear.

I'm super happy with how it turned out, I'm going to get a ton of wear from this now the warm weather has finally come to MA. And I have a couple more plain white Ts in my closet that might have to give their lives to my new addiction...
Comments and critiques gratefully received as always. xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jealousdoll
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012 11:43:38 PM »

Holy cow that is awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charlieandwillow

Professional viking-tamer & bear-wrangler.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012 05:14:26 PM »

So apparently throwing it in the dryer for 20 minutes didn't really set the colours. I've washed it once, and it faded horribly. I am going to try this technique again, but I think next time I'll try setting the colour with a hot iron. And remembering to wash it on a delicates setting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Supervillain Origins: Bane
How to Apply a Base Coat for a Werewolf Face
How to Apply a Prosthetic Latex Piece
Finishing the Werewolf Makeup
How to Set the Werewolf Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...