A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
738 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 141
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 237793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Naantje
« Reply #1070 on: August 06, 2012 03:00:50 PM »

I've totally been beaten by the beater challenge  Cry

We bought a second hand table when we moved in together, and it was quite damaged: the colour had faded in some places, there were scratches, ... We bought it voor 10, so it was really cheap, and we figured we'd just paint it and we'd have a really nice table. We used it for about 1,5 years as it was, but past saturday, I had had enough and told my boyfriend: that is it, we're buying an electric sander, we'll take the table apart and we'll sand it down and paint it! And so we did. We sanded the thing down on saturday, cleaned away all the dust and I gave it its first coat of black paint. It was looking nice and smooth and glossy, but it definitely needed a second coat of paint since coverage wasn't all that even. So yesterday I put on the second layer and we left it to harden for the time they said.

I was quite disappointed: with the second coat, you could kind of see the marks from the roller and it wasn't really very smooth at all. I think this is maybe because I use a shorter roller, as something inside the longer roller had broken off and it wouldn't stay put on the handle... We reassembled the table today, forgot to take a picture, and had dinner around 9. And dang it, there's scratches in the paint already! And not just minor scratches, but really bad ones. I'm SOOOOOOOOO frustrated, this was supposed to be (according to the can) good covering paint that was very durable, fit for indoor nd outdoor use. But it didn't even survive one meal!

I'm not sure if I should post this project, I do have progress pictures, and I'll have a picture of our once-again damaged table. I do feel proud for finally beating procrastination nd for trying out something new and intimidating, but I just wished it turned out to be better. (To top it all off: our SD card became corrupted, so I nearly lost all of our pictures on the card, including the progress pictures! I did manage to recover them though, I did the quick format as my computer told me I would need to do, and then used recuva and got all my precious photo's back!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Ant Bee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1071 on: August 06, 2012 08:26:42 PM »

Naanjte, How frustrating! Good for you for giving it a try, tho.

The challenge says to "Try something new" so I think this definitely counts toward the challenge so go ahead and post a pic if you like. A big part of crafting is the stuff we try and discover we don't like, or it doesn't work the way we want it to- that doesn't mean those crafts weren't worth-while. Professor Pinkleo will ell you whether it counts or not in the end.  It's good you tried it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
rossie
« Reply #1072 on: August 06, 2012 08:27:52 PM »

Class: Quidditch, Cheering/Spirit
House: Slytherin
Project: Snake hair bow
Description:

Both my kids like getting all girly, so hair pretties are in demand.  This is a simple chiffon bow made by gathering two rectangles of fabric and slapping a satin strip around the middle to hold everything in.  

I chose the olive green because it reminds me of taipans, which are common in this part of the world, and what Slytherin doesn't have a little bit of snake in them?  Mwahaha!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #1073 on: August 06, 2012 08:37:57 PM »

Challenge:Quidditch Keeper
Project Name:Premie/newborn pumpkin hat
Charity: This will probably go to the local NICU, or perhaps to the drive that Debbie Macomber does called "Knit 1 Bless 2"

(The long green string will be cut the minute I find my goshdang scissors.  I blame Nargles.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

« Reply #1074 on: August 06, 2012 08:41:47 PM »

Rossie, that look great!  Go Slytherin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

special_occasion
« Reply #1075 on: August 06, 2012 08:45:02 PM »

Slytherin is coming up with some very nice things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icekibby

Leopardprint Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: August 06, 2012 09:09:02 PM »

Class: Quidditch, Broomstick
Project: besom bookmark
Description: This is a scan from prior to rounding the corners and adding a tassel. The image is micron pen and watercolour on watercolour paper, backed with dark blue scrapbook paper. I'm adding one of our temple's besom chants to the back in white gel pen. It's going to be for a grimoire page trade.

I have something made for a charity auction, just need to get a photo of it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist: http://www.wists.com/IceKat

Will swap for 1:12 exotic & magical dollhouse furniture and accessories, amigurumi, magical poppets.
rossie
« Reply #1077 on: August 06, 2012 11:02:05 PM »

Class: Quidditch, Keeper
Project Name: Toiletry Bags
Description:  For my Keeper project, I am crafting for a charity that collects handmade things and bundles them up for recipients in need.  They also distribute personal care items like toothpaste, brushes, etc., and need toiletry bags for all these bits and pieces.  I made two this afternoon, and will try and get some more done over the week Smiley 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Naantje
« Reply #1078 on: August 07, 2012 01:27:56 AM »

Class: Quidditch, Beater
Project Name: The table that loved its scratches
Description:
When my boyfriend and I moved in together, we bought a 10 second hand table that needed some TLC to become a rocking piece of furniture once more. It was heavily scratched and the colours had faded in many a spot, but the piece of furniture itself was heavy duty. We had the table for 1,5 years and used it in its damaged state all that time, but last weekend I had had enough of our procrastination!

We took it apart and sanded it down and realised that in our newly found enthousiasm, we'd forgotten to take a before shot! Here's the "during":

As you can see, our cat is wondering what has happened to our table Tongue

We emptied out our shed to create space for painting: it was nice enough weather for painting outside on saturday, but heavy rainfall was expected in the evening. It was a good call, because rain started pouring from the sky about 5 minutes before I finished off the table top, and then I still needed to do the legs. See how smooth and mirror-like the surface was after the first coat! Unfortunately, the table wasn't coated very evenly and there were still some brownish spots...

Sunday brought the second coat of paint, and on Monday, when the paint had dried as long as the can said it would need to, we reassembled the table and moved it back inside.

As you can sort of see (it's more telling in real life!) the table top misses that smooth, glossy quality. You can really tell the marks from the roller Sad

And this, depressingly, is what the table top looked like after just one meal (though the flash did wash out the black a bit):

Apparently the paint is not quite so strong, heavy duty, durable paint as the can wanted us to believe... Or maybe our table had been in a scratched and stunted state for such a long time that it couldn't go through life looking smooth and glossy. Maybe it liked its scratches and scars, and its angry at us for mending them. After all, I do fear that we did not give our patient a say in this procedure.

I did try something new, but I think that when it comes to painting furniture, I'll invite my mother over for a couple of days and delegate the task to her. She's quite often achieved amazing results with some paint to revive old and damaged furniture, so I'll leave that to her, and stick to painting walls mysellf. Non-glossy paint is a lot more forgiving!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
SootBerry
« Reply #1079 on: August 07, 2012 05:06:59 AM »

..Is it okay to join while the Quidditch challenge is on? I don't want to upset any numbers or averages or anything. (Team Ravenclaw ftw!  Wink Cheesy )

I've been lurking on craftster & checking in on this thread for what seems like forever and I don't think I can hold myself back from joining in much longer.  Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 141 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Camera Settings For Panoramic Stitching
In choosing a Digital Camera do Megapixels matter?
Photography and the Green Screen
Motion Capture Texturing Tutorial
3D Editing Systems Review
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...