A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 141
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 248098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AugustBell
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #750 on: July 08, 2012 06:24:53 PM »

That Lumos night light is SO COOL!! What a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trifle
« Reply #751 on: July 08, 2012 08:18:27 PM »

@Ant Bee, I believe no one here would be able to say no to a week-long HP scavenger hunt, esp one with rhyming clues on scrolls!! You'd probably be able to get some extra credit for sharing some of those Wink

@AugustBell Smiley Thanks, I can't keep my eyes off it, and it only took a couple of hours!! Now I just need to figure out a way to sound-isolate the driver, which makes a really irritating sound.

Ideas anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teaandcraft
« Reply #752 on: July 08, 2012 09:06:29 PM »

@Trifle - wow! That night light is AWESOME! I've never seen an EL project before, it's so exciting to see new things ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #753 on: July 08, 2012 09:18:44 PM »

Thanks, Trifle!

It was fun, even if my mother and sister were laughing at me as I tried to secret squirrel some of the "Owl" deliveries while the Nephews were obliviously playing nearby.  The kids loved it though, it's the 2nd annual HP Hunt- Last year's ended with giant golden "Dragon" eggs in a nesty patch of grass at the top of a meadow.  It was not easy to beat that memory, I tell you what.

I love the nightlight, is there a tutorial somewhere for us less technically inclined folk?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Eiseldora
« Reply #754 on: July 08, 2012 09:47:17 PM »

@Ant Bee, I believe no one here would be able to say no to a week-long HP scavenger hunt, esp one with rhyming clues on scrolls!! You'd probably be able to get some extra credit for sharing some of those Wink

@AugustBell Smiley Thanks, I can't keep my eyes off it, and it only took a couple of hours!! Now I just need to figure out a way to sound-isolate the driver, which makes a really irritating sound.

Ideas anyone?

make sure your fan is clean and balanced. Normally the sound is caused by part of the fan blade hitting the side of the case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trifle
« Reply #755 on: July 09, 2012 05:36:53 AM »

@Eiseldora, there is no fan, it just produces a frequency that humans can hear, because this is the frequency that the light requires, apparently.

@Ant Bee, have you had any previous experience soldering? If not, I'd def recommend having a friend with some experience the first time, it's the kind of thing that makes you wish you had 5 heat-resistant hands. OR: you can just order the required lenght of wire plus driver and just connect the two with a click when you are ready. They call it ready to use EL wire kit and sell them online, good people. If you are willing to get into the soldering business, there are lots of tutorials actually and EL wire is really easy, because you don't need to think about + and - much. As far as my project goes: I cut a piece of jewelry wire the same length as my EL wire and experimented with it and the size of the lettering, until I was pretty certain I could use as much as possible from the EL wire. This was the most arduous task of all, and, as I mentioned, working with the transparent thread to secure it in the spots where it just didn't want to stay close enough to the cardboard. I made holes in the cardboard with a nail Smiley very basic. And if I had bought the easy to use EL wire, I could have completely skipped the step with the soldering, but we have all the tools so why not use them Smiley But basically it is just like working with a really thick tread, except you need to be careful not to bend it too much. EL wire rules! I have been eying it for a very long time, but it wasn't until seeing a live demo and some very cool completed projects recently that I finally realized how easy and rewarding it is.
These scavenger hunts sound better and better...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #756 on: July 09, 2012 06:57:11 AM »

Thanks, Trifle, this "EL wire" of which you speak sounds darn cool. I'm going to have to add this to my list of crafting skills I want to learn. (...and crafty bits I want to buy!  Move over yarn, there's a new kid in town!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Eiseldora
« Reply #757 on: July 09, 2012 12:52:25 PM »

@Eiseldora, there is no fan, it just produces a frequency that humans can hear, because this is the frequency that the light requires, apparently.

Well if it doesn't need ventilation then Styrofoam might help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo_roses
« Reply #758 on: July 09, 2012 05:54:44 PM »

Just like when I had homework to do in the muggle world, I've procrastinated with my wizarding homework as well. Roll Eyes I finally have some things to show you, though!

Class (or House Pride Item): Knight Bus Challenge
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Unpaper Towels
Brief Description: I made these for my new friend DesignVigilante in the MAF swap. Little does she know that the towels will "absorb" any overheard conversations while on the Knight Bus, and magically transfer that audio to me!
Project Picture:

Class (or House Pride Item): Reducio Challenge
Project Name: HP Coasters
Brief Description: To let my family (they're muggles) see the amazing things that I've seen, I reducio'ed some photographs and transfigured them into coasters. Something in the transfiguration process caused the photos to stop moving, but that's okay. This way they don't have to remember to hide the coasters when they have guests.
Project Picture:

Class (or House Pride Item): Herbology
Project Name: Tree Stamp
Brief Description: A stamp made of the rare rubber tree ;P (bottom left)
Project Picture:

Class (or House Pride Item): Charms
Project Name: Beach Cover-up
Brief Description: You may use Aguamenti against me, but I won't care if I'm wearing this!
Project Picture:

Class (or House Pride Item): Transfiguration
Project Name: Cheesecake
Brief Description: My oh-so-yummy transfiguration project consisted of turning cream cheese, sugar, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and more ingredients into a peanut butter chocolate chip cheesecake! I'll admit, it isn't *completely* finished. It has to sit underneath a cooling charm overnight so that the process doesn't reverse. Tomorrow, it'll be ready to eat!
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
Eiseldora
« Reply #759 on: July 09, 2012 06:27:02 PM »

Class:Herbology
Project Name: Oak Tree
Brief Description: I traced a stencil of an oak tree and filled it in with water color markers. I was reading about different positive symbols and the oak tree is supposed to be a good symbol for me. Since I'm learning to stencil I found a stencil of an oak tree. To practice I traced the image onto a piece of paper and colored it in, but I might make it into a freezer paper stencil in the future.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 141 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheese Cave Advenutres with Cheese Expert Dennis Cottin at Artisanal
Hickory Smoked Barbecue Ribs Recipe
Yougurt Marinated Chicken Recipe
How to Cook Creole Fish
BBQ Chicken with Roasted Veggies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...