A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 141
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 235910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1370 on: August 29, 2012 09:56:18 AM »

Challenge: Detention With Snape!
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Bracelets galore!

I've been a few days late in posting this, as I did it nearly a week ago.  Last Thursday was my last day off of summer which sounds impressive, but I really only got 2.5 weeks off of work.  For those two weeks I worked to make as many items for my shop as possible.  My goal was to have my work desk empty before the start of the semester. This led to me planning and setting up tons of jewlery.  Nearly all of which I was missing some small element to complete.  For example, I had several bracelets set up with all their charms & clasps, but no beads.  Others I had made bead pins for, but was missing charms.  And partway through this, I ran out of a specific kind of jump ring that I use.  None were to be found in town, so I had to order them and wait for them to arrive. 

Well, with so many items underway, my desk was a mess.  Thursday I managed to complete 16 bracelets, and Friday afternoon I got 2 more done for a total of 18!  Like I said, some had been started and were at various points of completion.  Others were just a thought in the back of my head.  Sadly, I forgot to take an absolute "before" shot, but I did take one partway through the day on Thursday.

And here's the 16 I completed Thursday!

(I should have waited till Friday morning to get those last 2 in the picture.)

And here are some thumbnails of a few of the bracelets, just for fun.  (Kaylee/Firefly, Tea Time, Let it Snow, and Green Tea)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
tiamatfire
« Reply #1371 on: August 29, 2012 12:32:26 PM »

Wow Jennie, great bracelets!  I especially love the Kaylee one (once upon a time I was briefly a penpal to Jewel Staite!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1372 on: August 29, 2012 06:08:43 PM »

Oh my goodness Shocked ....jenleahlynn & jennieingram, y'all have been busy!
jennie, the peek at your work station makes my crafty space look like a tornado hit it.

Just 2 more days until Fall Semester! 
I'm off to update projects; then, I'll be back with some Fall Updates & Sneak Peeks. Cool
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012 06:10:35 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #1373 on: August 29, 2012 07:50:59 PM »

~*Fall 2012 Sneak Peek*~

Hello Summer HPCers!  What an amazing and busy Summer Semester!  You have certainly exceeded my wildest craftalong dreams; I never could have imagined that so many people would adore crafting classes and challenges with a HP twist.  I am thrilled, and I just hope that next semester is even more inspiring and fun!

The Summer Semester has lasted 16 weeks.  In that 16 weeks, HPCers have posted 510 projects (over that really since many of y'all had multiple pieces in a submission...i.e. jennie's bracelets).  That is an average of 31.9 projects posted each week and an average of 4.6 projects per day! Shocked  Just WOW!!!  Well done students!

The Fall Semester will start in a mere 2 days.  I want to first thank the Fall HPC Staff; y'all have been amazing! Kiss  The Fall HPC Staff has such a wealth of ideas; prepare yourself for lots more fun in the Fall! Grin

Now for the exciting bit, FALL SNEAK PEEKS!
---All classes will be available in the Fall: Transfiguration, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Potions, Astronomy, History of Magic, Herbology, Arithmancy, Study of Ancient Runes, Divination, Care of Magical Creatures, Muggles Studies, Alchemy, Flying, and Apparition.  And your professors have come up with fabulous homework that really will get your crafty gears turning.

---After much discussion with my Deputy Headmistress jennieingram, I have decided not to do House Points next semester.  In the end, I don't want even one new craftalonger not wanting to craft because they fear hurting their house's chance of winning the House Cup. 

---Now after a bit of brainstorming, there is something wondrous and new coming in the Fall that should ease any pain caused by the loss of House Points; I don't want to give too much away...but I bet you will be jumping at the chance to collect these. Cool

---Final Fall Sneak Peek, HPCers will be able to start taking their OWLs!  Ordinary Wizarding Levels, better known as OWLs, are advanced crafting projects.  OWLs are to be more complex, challenging projects.  There is no hard and fast rule on how many hours a project should take, because speed and difficulty levels are too subjective.  What we are really looking for is a project that will be a personal challenge to you and takes at least 3-4 weeks to finish.  To get you started on your OWL brainstorming (NO CRAFTING YET!), I have listed the OWL Exams below.  Please hold onto any questions about OWLs until Fall starts so that you are able to read all the instructions regarding OWLs.

PREVIEW OF OWL EXAMS

--Transfiguration: Option 1-Practice your vanishing and conjuring spells by taking a large amount of supply and crafting one piece.  Option 2- Craft something with a dual purpose.  Option 3- Craft your Animagus.

--Defence Against the Dark Arts: Option 1-The patronus is an effective charm against dementors and to call for help when in need, though difficult to master. Craft something using your patronus animal.  Option 2-Craft something inspired by one of the DADA professors.

--Charms: Research the different charms and show your mastery of a particular charm by crafting something inspired by it.  For example, Alohomora is an opening charm; craft something that opens or has an opening.  Another example, Confundus is a confusion charm; craft something you find a bit confusing.

--Potions:  Option 1- Show off your ability to work with many ingredients by showcasing 3 different colors/pattern/textures.  Colors can be monochromatic.  A variegated yarn or one fabric swatch with various colors within it counts as one color.  Option 2- Research different potions and show your mastery by crafting something inspired by it.

--Astronomy: Option 1- Craft a star chart.  Option 2-Interpret the solar system into a craft.  Option 3-It is believed that we can only see 5% of the universe, the rest is made up of Dark Matter and Dark Energy which is invisible to us. Create something where at first glance you can only see a small portion, but when you look closer you can find the rest of the details.

--History of Magic: Option 1-Create 4 different items, one item for each house, these items should reflect your interpretation of the characteristics of each house.  Option 2- Craft 3 items which represent 3 characters within the Harry Potter series.   Option 3-Craft something using a vintage pattern, material, or technique.

--Herbology:  Research magical and mundane plants, and show your knowledge by creating something inspired by one or more plants that could be found in a wizard’s or witches’ garden.

--Arithmancy: Bridget Wenlock was a famous thirteenth-century Arithmancer, and the first to establish the magical properties of the number seven.  Your OWL exam is to turn in something that involves the number seven.

--Study of Ancient Runes : Option 1-Use an intricate charted design; you may create your own design for this project.  Option 2- Create something that contains 7 or more letters/symbols.  Option 3-Create a set of runes; these can be presented in one or more pieces.

--Divination:  Option 1- Create at least 4 items you need for a successful reading.  Option 2- Create a dream item.  Option 3- Create something inspired by the zodiac.

--Care of Magical Creatures:  Option 1-Even in the muggle world, we are surrounded by fascinating and breath-taking creatures.  Craft something inspired by an everyday animal you find magical.   Option 2-Dragons are terrifying yet awe-inspiring; craft something inspired by these magical creatures.

--Muggle Studies:  We all know the Tales of Beetle Bard, but did you know that muggles have a vast array of fantastical stories?  The most fascinating are known to muggles as fairy tales.  Study these tales and craft something inspired by them.

--Alchemy:  Option 1- Alchemists have, through their mystical quests, made significant contributions to our world.  These include metalworking, production of inks, dyes and cosmetics, ceramics and glass manufacture, preparation of extracts and liqueurs and the invention of gunpowder.  Honor the work of these alchemists by creating something from one or more of these contributions.  Option 2-Alchemists seek to create the fabled Philosopher’s Stone. Create something themed around the Philosopher’s Stone.

~*Look for more details about OWLs September 1st in the HPC Fall Semester.*~

Well, that about wraps up my Fall 2012 Sneak Peek.  There are still Fall Staff positions available; PM me if you are interested.  And I hope to see you in the Fall!  Until then, I wish you happy crafting! Grin
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012 07:42:07 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1374 on: August 30, 2012 06:51:22 AM »

jennie, the peek at your work station makes my crafty space look like a tornado hit it.

Um, you can only see part of my desk in those photos.  It is now pretty darn clean, but even when I had completed all my bracelets, both ends of the table were still full of bead boxes & trays of beads, charms, tools, etc.  My "desk" is actually a kitchen/dining table that I got secondhand, and put in my office.  Someone on campus was selling it, along with 6 chairs.  I didn't want the chairs, but it turned out that someone else did, so we split the cost!  DH and I also found a tiny laptop desk to keep my laptop on, so I could keep the whole space for crafting.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #1375 on: August 30, 2012 07:43:36 AM »

Um, you can only see part of my desk in those photos.  It is now pretty darn clean, but even when I had completed all my bracelets, both ends of the table were still full of bead boxes & trays of beads, charms, tools, etc.  My "desk" is actually a kitchen/dining table that I got secondhand, and put in my office.  Someone on campus was selling it, along with 6 chairs.  I didn't want the chairs, but it turned out that someone else did, so we split the cost!  DH and I also found a tiny laptop desk to keep my laptop on, so I could keep the whole space for crafting.  Cheesy
:::daydreaming about the day I have a craft room:::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #1376 on: August 30, 2012 12:22:38 PM »

Last-minute entry! (Well, I've got an even more last-minute one planned for tomorrow... For Astronomy, I've crocheted a star with which I want to yarn-bomb something in London. That way, part of me won't have to leave. I like leaving things behind in places that are dear to me.)

Class: Arithmancy
House: Slytherin
Project: Fipoemnacci - the power of love
Description:
I had a hard time to be inspired by the Fibonacci sequence, I just could not think of craft ideas for something worthwhile. The ideas I had would have taken too much work to complete, and more skill than I had. Yesterday however, I saw a haiku in the ThinkGeek newsletter, and I was inspired to craft with words! I also thought of the "elfje", which is a style of poem often used in education here. It's structed as 1,2,3,4 and 1 word per verse. Each verse should be solid on it's own, so "I - am a - girl of whom - they would often say: - frightening." doesn't quite meet criteria. The final verse should really capture the entire poem. (Elfje is the diminutive form of elf, which means either the mythical creature or eleven, the number of words in this style of poem.)

For my poem, I've taken the concept of the number of syllables from the haiku, since it seemed more of a challenge and would give me the chance to write more verses. As in the elfje, I set the requirement that each verse should be strong on its own. The number of syllables in each verse grows like the Fibonacci-sequence, up to the ninth fibonacci-number (34), and from there the sequence is reversed. Sometimes I found it really hard to count the syllables, since you really have to say each word in English to count vowels, where in Dutch you can usually go by spelling. "Sometimes" looks to me as if it has 4 syllables, but you only say 2! Anyway, I think I managed to get all counts right, so here's the poem:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
indigo_roses
« Reply #1377 on: August 30, 2012 05:20:34 PM »

Just like when I was in muggle school, I apparently procrastinate at Hogwarts too. Roll Eyes

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Detention with Snape
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: mom's necklace
Brief Description: My mom caught her necklace on the dishwasher a few months ago. She gave it to me to see if I could fix it while still using the original clasp. After taking it apart, I'm surprised it didn't break sooner - the thread was almost worn through at multiple places.
Project Picture:

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Inter-house unity
Project Name: Gryffindor Hoopla
Brief Description: I made this for PixieFireFly, one of my Gryffindor friends.
Project Picture:

See you in the fall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
teaandcraft
« Reply #1378 on: August 30, 2012 05:55:02 PM »

Challenge: Reducio
Project Name: Mustard yellow Blythe Hat
Brief Description: I was practicing a spell to make a crochet hat, but something went seriously wrong - it turned out tiny! But, happily it is just the right size for a Blythe doll, so it's still going to get some use ^_^

Challenge: Detention with Snape
Project Name: Haberdashery storage
Brief Description: I started altering this storage box ages ago, but had only done the first coat of wood stain! But with Snape looming over me I found the motivation to finish it - and finish it quick! ~_^

I can't wait for next semester - the O.W.L. challenges look great! ^_^ I wish I had made a Portkey so I could have finished all of the challenges for this semester ... maybe next time! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspo t.com.au
ShardaeDobby
HP extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 30, 2012 10:51:46 PM »

Challenge: Divination
Project Name: Butterfly Bracelet
Brief Description: It took me awhile to find an omen that represented something good to me (or at least an omen that inspired me). And then I stumbled across an excerpt talking about how butterflies were considered to be signs of good luck/fortune. I knew this had to be my inspiration because it said the ancient Greek for butterfly was Psyche(a name I used in Latin back in HS).

Butterflies stand for freedom, change, and major transformation. For me, I'm desperately in need of something that reminds me that when the other shoe drops it might not always be a bad thing. So I created a bracelet with a butterfly charm to symbolize that.

(Apologies for the darkness of the photo)

(A little better of an image)

Challenge: Arithmancy
Project Name: Fibonacci Earrings
Brief Description: I created some earrings with jump rings and seed beads following the fibonacci sequence, starting at one and ending at 8.

Challenge: Herbology
Project Name: Secret Keeper
Brief Description: Initially I was going to make a rowan wand, but the bowtruckle in the tree didn't like me taking a branch so I made something representing the rowan by using its characteristics. I used an old box I had because the rowan symbolizes protection. The white is from the rowan's flowers which symbolize cleansing and safekeeping. The red recalls the color of its berries. The star inside the lid is representative of the star that resides at the base of each berry another protective symbol. The box was initially yellow and I kept the inside that color instead of covering it to represent inspiration, a lesser recognized symbolism of the rowan.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012 10:56:25 PM by ShardaeDobby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ride across the Black Lake to the Fall Harry Potter Craftalong
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Trick-or-Treat Bag
How to Make a Sock Skeleton
How to Create a Cat Mask
How to Make Halloween Favor Bags
How to Make Color Prints with Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...