A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,404
Currently Running With Scissors:
873 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 141
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 235354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

special_occasion
« Reply #1210 on: August 13, 2012 10:59:55 PM »

Thanks Pinkleo, you've gone to a lot of effort for us.

Congratulations to everyone but obviously and specifically to Slytherin  Wink

I could be wrong but I'm seeing 5 most valuable players and 1 bronze medal (good work rossie) coming from us: nicely done snakes!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012 11:19:19 PM by special_occasion » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliis
« Reply #1211 on: August 14, 2012 04:30:02 AM »

This has been really great and super fun challenge! Three Hoorays for out clever and creative headmaster Pinkleo! Everybody together:

hip hip Hooray! Hooray! Hoorayyyyy!

Also Hooray! to our Team Captain Eiseldora who kept cheering us through this challenge!

I'm also really exited and honoured about my gold medal! Thank you! Let's do this again!
*joins other Ravenclaw team members as they throw Captain Eiseldora in The Black Lake*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Road goes ever ever on...
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: August 14, 2012 04:59:51 AM »

Congratulations, Gryffindor.

I don't think I mentioned how much I liked the racing brooms in the trophy case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
pottermouth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1213 on: August 14, 2012 06:02:23 AM »

Congrats, Gryffindors! What a game! A Hagrid-sized hug to pinkleo for all of her hard work and to eiseldora for being a fantastic coach!!! Now let's hang up our uniforms and don our SPEW aprons! Wow! There are so many exclamations, my Giddy-ometer must be on eleven!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1214 on: August 14, 2012 07:39:41 AM »

Y'all have me giddy Grin; I am thrilled that you enjoyed our quidditch match.  It was truly hard to pick winners. (Thank goodness I had help for my list was huge!)  And now we are a step closer to the Fall Semester....I am so excited!!!  Your HPC Staff and I have so much planned!  Look for a special visitor soon to announce our last summer challenge. Cool

Now let's hang up our uniforms and don our SPEW aprons! Wow! There are so many exclamations, my Giddy-ometer must be on eleven!!!!
:::tee,hee::: I find on Craftster that I use exclamation points tons!  And Kiss for joining SPEW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #1215 on: August 14, 2012 08:52:35 AM »

need to catch up on a few completed project posts...

Class: Transfiguration
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Transforming yarn into AWESOME YARN
Brief Description: I have pulled out my cauldron and produced a potion that transforms plain, 100% wool yarn (Full O’ Sheep Yarn which I got for 99cents) into 100% AWESOME yarn.  I have used 2 different cauldrons for my potions; both seemed to worked fabulously for this potion.  Here's what I did...
Project Pictures:
Both received a vinegar and water soak in the sink

Then wet wool was transferred to their respective cauldrons, stockpot & crockpot.  Everything is food safe that I'm using so don't worry about my cauldrons.

Next, colors were selected; I'm using Wilton Icing Colors (Delphinium Blue, Royal Blue, and Red-Red) & (Juniper Green, Leaf Green, and Kelly Green)

Added the color to the cauldrons (icing color was diluted with hot water before adding)

Simmer until color is absorbed by yarn...truly magically how water turn clear

Drain yarn (I also rinsed mine in hot water...not cold or you will felt the yarn!) & hang to dry

Now you have AWESOME YARN!

(I'm going to be using this technique to liven up some clearance wool that I shall make into SPEW squares)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012 09:02:24 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #1216 on: August 14, 2012 09:01:43 AM »

Challenge: Detention
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Kitty Ghan
Brief Description: There were so many WIPs that could have served Detention, but I thought I should focus on something for my kiddos so I decided to finish my daughter's Kitty Ghan (which I started May 27, 2012).  She picked out this pattern and yarn colors and is beyond thrilled that it is finally done...which makes me so very happy!
Project Pictures: (not the greatest pics Tongue)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012 09:03:01 AM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #1217 on: August 14, 2012 10:18:50 AM »

@Naantje: Love the poem!  Crafting words is one of the hardest spells.  And the most amazing & touching weddings I have been to are ones that have been "on-a-budget."  No fears, as long as there is love, then there is no other worries to have.  If someone dares speaks a harsh word or thinks a disparaging thought, then it is because of the sadness within their soul, and not a reflection upon you. 

Thank you so much, Pinkleo! This really means a lot to me. People keep raising their eyebrows and looking sceptically when the budget comes up, especially since *gasp* we're planning a STEAMPUNK wedding. Everybody has been really enthousiastic about the steampunk part though (once we've made clear what that is exactly) but they seem to think "If your average normal wedding costs 12.000, a themed wedding must cost even more!" It is reassuring that there are people out there who support us. We don't want to simply accept that a venue costs 40% more for a wedding than for a birthday party of the same size, or that the cake doubles in price because it's a wedding cake. And sorry, I can't justify spending "only" 950 on a wedding dress I'll only be able to wear once... Guess I'm really my mother's daughter, she borrowed her sister-in-law's wedding dress to get married in! I'll be wearing a white lace blouse with a black satin corset I already own, a long white skirt with a border of crocheted gears and a burgundy bustle over that. The fabric for the bustle is from a 15 second-hand dress and my mother will sew it, I'll crochet my own gears and I'm on the lookout for a blouse and a skirt. I'll be able to wear each separate piece again later, combined in different outfits so I'll often have that warm feeling from my wedding day.

We'll be crafting so much! We both enjoy creating things, and it can save us so much money Smiley I should really convince my fianc to join craftster, he's made amazing steampunk goggles and a really nice modded hip flask already. So far, he's resisting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1218 on: August 14, 2012 10:40:23 AM »

People keep raising their eyebrows and looking sceptically when the budget comes up, especially since *gasp* we're planning a STEAMPUNK wedding.

Eh, ignore the snarky replies.  My husband and I planned a *beautiful* wedding for under $3,000. (Which is actually a little under your budget!)  Because I was in graduate school at the time, I couldn't do everything myself, as I might have done otherwise, but I did a lot of it on my own, or with the help of friends and family.  I did end up buying my dress, but I got a huge discount on it for renting the groomsmen/father's tuxes at the same place.  

For favors, I asked my mother-in-law to make her family caramels, which she makes every year for Christmas. And my mother (who owned a gift shop at the time) bought Swiss fudge from a famous candy shop in the town where I grew up at wholesale cost.  She also ordered the favor boxes from one of her suppliers for next to nothing.  We sat around filling them in the hotel room the night before the wedding.

For flowers, we did our own, as I was taking a floral design course at the time.  My professor was kind enough to donate the use of her classroom, all the pins/wire/tools we needed, and even donated a ton of flowers that she had left over from another project.  So the day before the wedding my mom, dad, and a couple who are best friends with my parents, helped me put together 15 centerpieces, arrangements for the alter, bouquets and boutonnieres.

We got a really good deal on the venue by getting married on a Sunday (instead of Saturday which is popular here).  My uncle happily served as DJ with the help of my laptop and some speakers & sound equipment rented for $60.  And we had a stunning cake that I picked out of the shop window.  Because she had "already designed it", she took off the standard design fee.  She even worked in the extra flowers from my bouquet.

Oh, and I made the groom's cake myself on the DAY OF my wedding!  It's a tradition in some parts of the US to make a cake for the groom that is more reflective of his personality.  I made a cake that looked like a pint of Guinness right before going to get my hair done.  Cheesy

Update:  Here's a link to the post I did here on Craftster about our wedding: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=53280.msg3464924#msg3464924
Proof positive that you don't need a ton of money to create *beautiful* results.  You just need to have love in your heart while you work towards it!!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012 10:45:57 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1219 on: August 14, 2012 10:48:22 AM »

Pinkleo, the Kitty Ghan came out beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 141 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
How to Slow Cook Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Halloween Snack Ideas - The Rookie Cook
How to Make Seared Duck Breast - Food Done Right
How to Make Baked Beans
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...