A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ironing wool to make it shiny--can I ever get it even?  (Read 756 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MagicalGirl
« on: May 12, 2012 06:29:05 PM »

Hi all!
For complicated reasons, I'm planning on sewing myself a big honking Ruritanian flag. (For those of you who don't know, Ruritania is a fictional European country from a series of books by Anthony Hope.) For related reasons, I want the making of said flag to be as old-school as possible, which means I'm shying away from nylon "flag fabric." Wikipedia tells me that flags used to be made of a lightweight worsted wool fabric called bunting, bunt, or tammy, which was "heat-pressed" to make it very shiny.
So my current plan is to buy some lightweight worsted wool fabric and iron it on high to make it shiny, but I'm really worried it will come out uneven and blotchy. FWIW, it's a stripy flag, so I could iron the stripes after I've cut them and they'd be narrow enough that I could use the back of the iron and not have to worry about the steam holes. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice?
Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012 11:45:31 AM »

Well, if you want to go REALLY old-school, you could buy/borrow a real cast-iron iron and heat it on a woodstove. Because it's a flat piece of metal, you won't get any unevenness from the steam holes on a modern iron.

But really, you could just cut a scrap for testing and see how much pressure, how long, how much movement, and how hot you need to non-steam-iron your wool to get the shininess you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

novacasia
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012 07:24:08 AM »

You could also make the flag out of silk -- then it would already be shiny.  You can also paint the design using silk fabric paints.  The silk would allow the flag to fly in the wind better and is a historical fiber for flag construction.

Dharma trading company has great information on this subject: http://www.dharmatrading.com/silkpainting/

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Erin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Save an Image as a TIFF File in Photoshop CS3
How to Save an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Select Foreground and Background Colors in Photoshop CS3
How to Select Multiple Objects in Flash CS3
How to Select With a Marquee Tool in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...