A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Mache Eggs  (Read 1501 times)
Tags for this thread: paper_mache , easter_egg , egg  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2012 12:47:14 AM »

Several years ago I made paper mache eggs for my children & grands instead of traditional Easter baskets.  I began with large inflated balloons, I covered them first with 2 layers of torn tissue paper pieces dipped in Mod Podge.  This was so the inside would look more finished.  Next I added several more layers of newspaper pieces.  After they dried, I deflated the balloons, filled & decorated them.  I filled & sealed the first 3 before decorating & designed the other 2 to remain open.  Sorry the photos aren't very good but it was before digital cameras---the grands are both in their teens now.

Cameron's bunny:  I painted it white & actually sprayed it with artificial snow.  A bit messy but, at the time, I didn't know of any other way to make it furry looking.  The ears & legs are cut from mat board & glued on.  If I were making them today, I'd use the sculpting snow & foam core board---much easier.

Jaycees quilted egg:  This is my favorite.  I Mod Podged pieces of fabric all over the egg & used a glitter glue to outline each piece go give it a quilted look.  The wide ribbon, tacked with hot glue, finished it.  Next time I'd paint it white first so the dark newspaper underneath wouldn't show thru.

Dena's flower trimmed egg:  Simple with the flowers & ribbons glued to the top but more elegant than some of the others.

Terri's lace trimmed egg:  I cut this in half horizontally & finished the edge with paper mache pieces before painting.  I carved the design into the top & painted on plenty of Mod Podge to smooth the openings.  I glued a narrow strip of posterboard around the inside of the bottom half to create an edge so the top would fit properly.  Both halves are trimmed with lace & the cutout design is edged with glitter glue.

Jeff's bunny face:  This is done the same as Terri's except that I used paper to make a hinge on the back so I could prop it halfway open with a dowel rod.  The rabbit face was a design I found in a craft book, enlarged & carved into the top half of the egg.  I also carved slits so I could thread the ribbon thru them.

We were able to use them more than once because we used a craft knife to cut a small opening in the bottom of the sealed eggs & extract the goodies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012 06:51:03 AM »

These are amazing; each and every one of them!  I don't have kids or grandkids, but I feel like I need to remember this anyway so I'm pinning (with credit).  Also, rocking it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012 09:43:24 AM »

Very cool idea, I love the pic of the giant egg next to the little cutie!  The quilted one is my favourite Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
PeachieClean
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012 01:48:06 PM »

These would be awesome with little hinges and latches to make candy chests!  I bet you'd be able to just glue them on too...  These are really awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012 02:31:44 PM »

Thanks ro you all.

alteredmommy That little cutie is now finishing her junior year of high school & is 5'9" tall with a size 11 foot.  That's how long ago I made the eggs.

PeachieClean I recall that I considered hinges at the time & think it would have worked but didn't have any on hand & was rushed to finish them at the last minute.  I think I would have had to screw/bolt & glue them on so they'd hold.   Instead, I just glued strips of paper across the seam & propped it with the dowel rod so it would dry in the position I wanted it. 

TheMistressT Age doesn't matter in this case. I made them for my ADULT daughters, SIL, & 2 grands.  They all enjoyed them.  Also, made in a smaller size, a basketful would present a delightful centerpiece for a table.  Just use smaller balloons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Find Lasting Happiness: Be Nobody
Jason Reynolds: What Are You Reading?
Lynn Cullen: What Are You Reading?
Chef Heather Bertinetti on Baking Desserts
David Menasche: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...