Several years ago I made paper mache eggs for my children & grands instead of traditional Easter baskets. I began with large inflated balloons, I covered them first with 2 layers of torn tissue paper pieces dipped in Mod Podge. This was so the inside would look more finished. Next I added several more layers of newspaper pieces. After they dried, I deflated the balloons, filled & decorated them. I filled & sealed the first 3 before decorating & designed the other 2 to remain open. Sorry the photos aren't very good but it was before digital cameras---the grands are both in their teens now.
Cameron's bunny: I painted it white & actually sprayed it with artificial snow. A bit messy but, at the time, I didn't know of any other way to make it furry looking. The ears & legs are cut from mat board & glued on. If I were making them today, I'd use the sculpting snow & foam core board---much easier.
Jaycees quilted egg: This is my favorite. I Mod Podged pieces of fabric all over the egg & used a glitter glue to outline each piece go give it a quilted look. The wide ribbon, tacked with hot glue, finished it. Next time I'd paint it white first so the dark newspaper underneath wouldn't show thru.
Dena's flower trimmed egg: Simple with the flowers & ribbons glued to the top but more elegant than some of the others.
Terri's lace trimmed egg: I cut this in half horizontally & finished the edge with paper mache pieces before painting. I carved the design into the top & painted on plenty of Mod Podge to smooth the openings. I glued a narrow strip of posterboard around the inside of the bottom half to create an edge so the top would fit properly. Both halves are trimmed with lace & the cutout design is edged with glitter glue.
Jeff's bunny face: This is done the same as Terri's except that I used paper to make a hinge on the back so I could prop it halfway open with a dowel rod. The rabbit face was a design I found in a craft book, enlarged & carved into the top half of the egg. I also carved slits so I could thread the ribbon thru them.
We were able to use them more than once because we used a craft knife to cut a small opening in the bottom of the sealed eggs & extract the goodies.