A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where can I get materials to pretty up a Pram?  (Read 1116 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AMYoung3
« on: May 10, 2012 08:05:54 AM »

This is my "new" 1960's Pedigree Pram that I rescued from a Goodwill. I went in looking for baby dolls to make molds of and stumbled across this beautiful buggy. Being crazy about antique/vintage items, I could not pass this up. Plus I am looking to fix it up for future use. If anyone knows how I should start going about this I would love the advice. I'm looking to fix up the frame as it it rusted and squeaky at the joints, getting new wheels, re painting the buggy part black and white, and refinishing the interior and fabric hood. I'm so excited to begin this project, just needing a little help with the start.

Thanks, AMYoung
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Eliminate the impossible, Watson, and whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
PerfectlyBohemian
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012 08:13:51 AM »

What a great find! It really looks beautiful as is. How badly is it damaged? I used to use naval jelly for rust on my 70's steel-frame bicycle. You can get it at Lowe's and similar stores. If the rust has gotten far through the metal though, I am not sure where to start. Try a bike store for the wheels perhaps? But be careful about the sizes since the axles don't line up.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012 10:12:29 AM »

Sorry, I have no advise, I just wanted to say: It is so beautiful - such a classic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012 04:10:10 PM »

Lovely, but take in to consideration some forms of restoration lower the value of an antique or vintage item. If the hood is in good shape with minimal or no tears i would just gently clean it. The wheels are original so i would just polish them up and replace the rubber parts. If the chrome parts are pitted i would yake it to a professional about replating them. I they are not pitted some elbo grease and a good metal specific polish will make them like new. The interior doesnt look to diificult to reproduce and pretty simple and cheap to  redo, even a professional upholsterer would not charge that much. As for the body of it i would gently clean and polish it but i wouldnt repaint, original paint is always better. Im curious what did you pay for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
AMYoung3
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012 09:44:26 PM »

thanks everyone. To PerfectlyBohemian, it isn't that damage just a little rusted on the frame, i'll try that jelly stuff and see if it works. To Diesels_Mom I bought it for $99 which was a steal, i looked online and they ranged from $300 to $1000+. The hood and the exterior of the carriage are in great shape but I was hoping to change it to black and white instead of olive green, the interior is a bit ripped up and made of some plastic-like material. Everything is original on it, but I'm not too worried about the antique value of it because I'm not planning to give it up Smiley it is definitely the best impulse buy ever. the biggest part I am worried about is the paint, because I don't want to ruin it but I would love to change it's color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Eliminate the impossible, Watson, and whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
How to Use Quilting Cotton in Sewing Projects
How to Use Jersey in Sewing Projects
How to Sew an Elastic Waistband
How to Sew an Overlock Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...