A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So my daughter approaches me and asks..  (Read 1474 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katmiller79
Peanut Butter Queen

*Mommy is the Peanut Butter Queen*

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2005 03:34:06 PM »

"Mommy i would like you to sew Hippo some clothes"

First off my daughters 7, this is her "security blanket" item a $2 stuffed dollar general bargain hippo.
she asks me this while making dinner.. Im a little busy so I absentmindly reply " okay honey Ill see what I can do "
So .. therefore mommy is in a bind..  yah..  Roll Eyes  Undecided Undecided ummm I need help LOL I havent really sewed Doll clothes or anything like that.This would be my first "doll" type project . So ..
i have this book my mom gave me like , a few years ago called Two hour doll clothes by Anita Louise Crane
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0806938897/qid=1119738764/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-1857103-2825769?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

you can see details here..

I guess what Im asking is .. Can I make these for this Hippo of hers ?? will they work ?? I guess just make the bodices wider ??
Id appreciate any help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to 4 Kidlets !
Schmoo
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005 03:45:56 PM »

Well, I'd..um..have to see the hippo.

You might want to find out exactly WHAT clothes Hippo needs before going too much into it. It just might be that Hippo would be perfectly happy with an elastic waist skirt, which could be made pretty quickly and easily. Hippo could also start with that skirt, and, with the addition of a couple of strips of fabric and squares of fabric, have a jumper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Princess Sara
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005 03:52:39 PM »

This is why I'm not having kids!  lol...

I agree, figure out what hippo needs and you could always tell her that hippos swim so they need room to move thus no pants.  A tank top would also be easy.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schmoo
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005 03:59:40 PM »

This is why I only have one and I've already taught him how to use the sewing machine! If his toys need clothes he knows exactly how to make 'em!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katmiller79
Peanut Butter Queen

*Mommy is the Peanut Butter Queen*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005 04:23:43 PM »

I love the elastic waist skirt thing Smiley i m like why didnt I think of that ! duh! lol so thats a def . Thanks for the suggestions. they are simple and quick Smiley

Hopefully hippo will have all she needs. Kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to 4 Kidlets !
purple_hippo
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005 05:56:26 PM »

please post photos of Hippo in clothes! s/he sounds cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
Shmooey
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005 02:55:43 PM »

Absolutley you can make your hippo clothes! Post some pictures of the infamous creature and ill try and draw up a diagram
THIS ROCKS   Logged
philodendron5
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005 03:02:36 PM »

It's my firm belief that every hippo needs a tutu!  Grin And perhaps Miss/Mr/Mrs. Hippo could use some bows!

I remember when I was about 8 I decided that I wanted to sew my dolls clothing and I asked my mom for material.Except I pronounced it "MATTER-ALL". (honestly, look at the word.... it should be said that way.) It took my mom a long time to figure out what I meant. But once she did she supplied me with needle thread and lots of material. I handsewed a ton of dresses for my dolls.... and a crafty child was born!  Perhaps you and your daughter could collobrate?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
Delziela
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005 03:11:22 PM »

Hmmm, have you ever watched "Raising Helen"? Theres a girl in it who's security blanket type thing was a hippo named hippo. I just watched it yesterday.

Anyway, an elastic skirt would be just about a easy as it gets. maybe hippo would like a matching headband with it. If your handy with sleeves (which I am not) A little jacket would not be difficult. If your into details, the skirt could have little ruffles going down it without much extra work.  If its shaped more like a human than a hippo (You know, human doll type shaped body w/ hippo head) you could make a halter top by cutting a piece of fabric that covers it's front, and adding ties that tie around her back, and more that tie around her neck. (i'm assuming its a she since you mentioned that a skirt was a good idea)
however, if hippo is shaped more like a hippo, then your options are much more limited. But trust me on the headband... it completes the outfit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.
-Joseph Chilton Pearce
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005 03:17:44 PM »

hippo probably wants a superhero cape. and maybe a scarf with a snap that attaches around his or her hippo neck.

do hippos like tube tops?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rice Cracker Crusted Tuna Appetizer Recipe
How to Make Miso Soup
How to Make a Diet Oriental Salad Dressing
How to Make Chicken Curry
Choi Sum Sweet Corn Soup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...