A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vince's Red Tartan Studded Blazer  (Read 878 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2012 04:43:06 AM »

This jacket is by far the most complex thing I've attempted since dropping out of fashion school {halfway through learning all about jackets ironically} and it was a bit difficult but totally fun!

I rarely sew with commercial patterns these days, so when I had to figure out the instructions and stare at the diagrams I felt like I was reading double dutch! I don't understand how you guys do it! If I wore a hat it would be off to you. I'm used to making my own patterns, or following tutorials written by clever bloggers.

Despite my issues I did remember how these sorts of jackets went, revere collars and two-piece sleeves. Matching up the plaid was pretty fun, I did well in the major areas, the body of the jacket all matches up and alarmingly the collar matches the back perfectly {unintentional but yey!}.

I studded the shoulders and the pockets, making it a little bit punk. I used Burda 9671 for this jacket, and this was done up in the smallest size, size 3. I was sure it wouldn't fit the little Monster, since he is a tall skinny thing even though he's three in May {wait what?}. Surprisingly it fits pretty well, so hopefully it still fits him for winter! I really liked this pattern because it goes up to size 10. It was very time consuming, but now I've done it once I'm sure it won't be so difficult next time.

Also I started it when I was in my first trimester and just cutting fabric out was exhausting {woe is me}. Oh and I sewed one of the sleeves in backwards. I forgo that with two piece sleeves that there is a left and a right.

I lined it in teal lining, which is kind of fun! It's my favourite colour, teal/turquoise, and I love the unexpected pop when it's not being worn. Did I ever tell you my philosophy about lining? If you're a long time reader or real-life friend then yes, you probably already know but I'm going to say it again anyway. I love lining things with unexpected fabrics. You don't see the insides of pockets or waistbands so I love lining them in weird fabrics that totally don't go. I made a pair of punk jeans once and lined the pockets with kiddie car fabric. So fun. It's like a little secret in your clothes that no one else knows about.

The above photos I also made his purple shirt - resized down from a men's business shirt, and his pants - resized down from a pair of Tim's skate shorts that never were worn because he got too tubby {heh heh}. Bowling hat was $12 from a seller on eBay {it arrived squished which made me sad, but it was free shipping and it was for Vince so he would quit stealing mine}.

Oh there's no buttons because while I enjoy sewing buttons on with my machine now {seriously look it up and try it out on your machine. It's revolutionary! haha}, buttonholes are a totally different subject we won't speak of. Oh how I yearn the buttonhole machine at fashion school.

{More pics + details at my blog}
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012 05:27:47 AM »

Sooooo cool!!! Your little guy looks sharp in that jacket. I love it. This rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rossie
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012 05:42:32 AM »

LOVE.  Brilliant work.  Little man looks fabulous. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012 06:16:26 AM »

this is the most awesome jacket ever. I want a little boy to sew for now. so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pad Thai - Thai Foodcast:
Learn About Traditional Indian Food
Learn About Different Kinds of Raw Fish
How to Make Spider Rainbow Sushi
How to Make Big Eye Tuna Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...