A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Candyland Barware set (pic heavy)  (Read 4065 times)
Tags for this thread: board_game , bar , coaster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lunamadre
« on: May 08, 2012 06:39:35 PM »

Just wanted to share this here with everyone...some friends of mine planned a local swap upcycling board games. I found a vintage Candyland game at a thrift shop and decided to make a little bartending gift for my partner.

The storage box is made from the interior of the box, the part that had the rules printed on it and compartments for the game pieces.

I found some cool peachy polka dot scrap paper to modge podge on the inside and hot glued some ribbon and buttons on the outside.

I cut the game board into 4 coasters, and used clear contact paper and colored duct tape on both sides, so it's waterproofed....I highly recommend a sharp mat knife, cutting mat and a large metal Tsquare for cutting game boards!

back of coasters, with game cards:

The gingerbread men are wine glass charms... of course when my 4 year old son saw me drill holes in their hands, he howled and cried. Luckily there were 3 other mismatched pieces from another Candyland game inside, which I gave to him intact and un-drilled.
I printed out some candy themed drinks and glued them onto the back of the game cards. Then I hole punched and threaded them onto an earwire loop with some buttons.  

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012 06:45:30 PM by lunamadre - Reason: whoops...hit post instead of preview. :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gumption

"Sing an outlaw love song." -Social Distortion

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012 06:50:32 PM »

That is so cool! I love upcycling, and this is more fun than playing with a toddler! (I love my kiddos, but really, after 10 games in a row, it gets a little slow!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012 06:51:28 PM »

THis is so clever! I love it!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
geekgirl1000100
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012 04:15:45 AM »

Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012 06:37:05 AM »

I love your creative use of all the board game elements. I just featured this project on Craftster's Facebook page. Thanks for sharing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012 06:41:53 AM »

This is so clever and fun!  I've collected some game boards and may now know what to do with at least one of them!  Of course, I'll have to find some pieces to go with, because I love to thoroughly explore a theme; just like you did here!  And to your son: Remember, it's all fun and games until someone gets their hand drilled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Subee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012 07:06:38 AM »

What a great idea! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love nonsense - it wakes up the brain cells!

Prewitt Woods
https://www.facebook.com/PrewittWoods
lunamadre
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012 07:07:27 AM »

Thanks for featuring me on facebook! It literally popped up on my news feed as I was sitting there, I was so surprised! And to see all the likes and shares, thanks everyone. Smiley

This is so clever and fun!  I've collected some game boards and may now know what to do with at least one of them!  Of course, I'll have to find some pieces to go with, because I love to thoroughly explore a theme; just like you did here!  And to your son: Remember, it's all fun and games until someone gets their hand drilled.
Ok that literally cracked me up, LOL!

I do have to give a shout out to a very well written tutorial that helped me create the box....
http://leslierich.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/2008/10/17/the-box-that-couldnt-be-easier/

The only thing I did differently was the lid. Maybe because I used thicker chipboard or maybe I measured slightly off, the measurements are very accurate!...either way I had to eliminate the tabs on the inside of the lid. I ended up using a hot glue gun and wrapped a thick ribbon along the outside and gave the corners some ease so it would fit. The lid actually fits very snug. I hid the seam in the ribbon with the buttons.
I also got the idea for the coasters from a google image search somewhere....someon e did the contact paper with duct tape using a monopoly board. So thanks to whoever that was too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012 11:24:47 AM »

Although I hate to see Candyland cut up, this is still awesome!  I love the drink recipe idea, really clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NavyBlue4Eight

If it wasn't for this anchor...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012 07:34:29 PM »

So much fun - and so retro!  I would never have thought to include the drink recipes too.
Thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Buys Under $15
Best Cream Blushes For Different Skin Tones
Foods to Avoid For Better Skin
New Tool To Apply Perfect Eye Makeup
Packing 101: Everything You Need for a Summer Wedding
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...