A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sakura Dress  (Read 1591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JWN
« on: May 05, 2012 08:45:13 PM »

Needlework is kind of a weird place to put this, but since I didn't make the dress, I felt weird putting it with clothing. There is some embroidery in the flowers, though, so I hope it won't seem completely out of place! (I just realized I can't post pictures yet, so there are just the links below.)

So, I've had this dress since high school, and I noticed a few months ago there was a hole near the hem. Instead of throwing it away, I decided to add some appliques to it. I don't know how they'll hold up to being washed, but it was a cheap and easy project, so I figure it's worth the risk. This is my first post on Craftster, so I hope the pictures turn out ok... these were the least blurry!

This is the before picture, showing the hole in the skirt of the dress. Notice that I'm laughing at my own low-tech equipment.

These are the flowers I cut out to make the appliques. I searched the web for a cherry blossom graphic with a simple silhouette, printed the images, cut them out, and then taped them onto cardstock. Then I cut the shapes out of the cardstock and used those as patterns to trace on felt. I used 6-strand embroidery thread to make a circle of French knots, then brought the thread up through the center and separated them into two 3-strand sections and worked outward from the center point to the knots. Then I tied the two 3-strand sections together on the wrong side to bind them off.

After finishing all the flowers, I put the dress on a dressform and pinned them in place. Before I put the flowers on, I stitched a small patch of felt behind the hole to sort of "sandwich" that area between two layers of felt. It's a stretchy jersey knit, so I actually had to sew the flowers into place while the dress was still on the dressform to avoid wrinkling or stretching the fabric. I know that my stitches are horribly inconsistent in length, but I decided to force myself to overlook it in the name of getting the project DONE. Being too much of a perfectionist leads to half-finished projects eventually getting chucked into the trash because I'm too burned out to finish them!

And lastly, here's a picture of me wearing the completed dress. I'm just happy I finally finished something!

Thanks for looking! There are so many great projects on here, I've had a hard time working up the courage to post something! I hope it does the site justice Smiley

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012 08:56:04 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to show photos for new member. Welcome to Craftster! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sandal43
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012 04:54:16 PM »

Lovely dress!  I love your appliqus Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - C, O, E
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - I, L, J, R, F, T
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - P, B, K
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - N, H, M, U, A, D, G, Q
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - Practice Sentences
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Quick Summer Dress
Marvelous Matryoshkas
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...