A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Professional Sewing Studio  (Read 2021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

montyfull
« on: May 07, 2012 06:29:22 PM »

Hi Everyone!

So I have made the transition to 3/4 time professional seamstress (I teach at a local college the rest of the time), and thought I would show off my ABSOLUTELY TINY "studio".  In this studio, I make dresses, draperies, costumes, alterations...you name it...I've made it, and I make a living (more of a starving artist...) doing it. Its been a hard transition, with lots of learning experience.  I thought about cleaning my studio before showing it off...but seriously, this is what it looks like constantly... just keepin it real. :p

The studio is in our master bedroom. We have a relatively small house, but our master bedroom is very large. We've divided it in half, and the first portion is my sewing studio. We've divided the room by using the dresser as a divider. When people come over for a fitting, I have a folding screen and a full length mirror that I pull out to turn it into a fitting area. The serger comes and goes, but its mostly out all the time. Large garbage can to catch pattern and fabric scraps, thread and whatnot.  A shelf with all of my crap - thread, tools, chalk, scissors (many many pairs of scissors), sewing feet, and a patternmaking book if I need a reference for something complicated. I have little kits for various functions - fittings, patternmaking, hand sewing, etc. I also teach people out of this area, one on one sewing lessons.  I tape sketches and calendars up to the back of the dresser to keep me on track! Extra lighting, various rulers set on top of the AC unit. I thought I would hate having it blowing right on my face, but I don't know about you ... I sweat like CRAZY when I sew!  There's currently a massive order of roman blinds sitting in front of the ironing board.  I use a Babylock Grace, for anyone interested in what sewing machine I'm using. I find it has a nice, strong motor, good timing and tension - and it was a little more affordable/portable than other "professional" grade machines at just under $500. Nice buttonholes, too. That is a MAJOR plus.

The other side of my "studio".  Professional, gravity feed iron. Seriously, I recommend this to ANYONE who sews a lot! It was $100 and presses better than any iron I have ever used. I got that hanging rack from target for under $50. We have 4 foster cats, 2 of our own cats and a dog. This keeps the animals out of everyone's fabric. Smiley  Its usually bulging, like in the photo ... fills up fast when I'm working on cushions or chair covers. Its been a godsend.

And the newest addition - not finished. I am just so excited about it... its actually what got me to post this!  I have been cutting on the floor for SO LONG. My back has been giving out and ... I generally feel like I've done 8 hours of pilates when I'm done at the end of the day. So, yesterday we replaced our ikea futon in the computer room with a day bed that we found on amazon of all places. Still need a mattress. We also bought an 8foot x 4 foot plywood board from home depot, and two 1"x1" planks that we wood glued to both sides for support. Put some sticky felt on the bottom to protect the day bed and I now have a cutting table! Its a great height...comes up to my waist, and 4 feet deep so I have plenty of room to lay out fabric. Its also got 3 functional drawers on the bottom to hold excess fabric - which I have been just throwing on top of my hanging rack to this point. When I'm done with it, I just climb on top of the bed, lift it and let it slide behind the bed. We are going to paint it white and make it look a bit more like a head board. Its an elegant solution to a crappy problem, and I can't take any credit for it. All hubby.

Its certainly not the most spacious studio, but it really works. We've got a 3 bedroom house, and we still managed to keep our queen bed in the master, a full bed in the guest room, and this twin bed in the computer room. Computer room is also home to not one, but TWO full computer desks (we are geeks). There isn't a spare inch of space, but aside from my studio, it somehow doesn't feel cramped. HURRAY FOR TINY FURNITURE!! Cheesy  I am truly blessed, though. It has taken years to get to this point and I am happy to share it with everyone. Thanks for reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Everything in moderation...even moderation. ~

my wists: http://www.wists.com/montyfull
I'm open for personal swaps!!
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

'Best of 2014' Winner

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012 06:42:18 PM »

What a fantastic space, congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nofuelleft
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012 05:40:18 PM »

Wished i'd have that much space !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CookCleanCraft
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012 07:59:30 PM »

Love the cutting table! That is the one thing I'd really love, and after we move house, I really have to work out a way to have a proper cutting table. I use the dining room table a lot, but then I have to take care to clean up any sticky messes my two kids have left on the table! I love the way your table can hide away and you have a useful bed underneath.

Congrats on making your space work for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Filling my days with cooking, cleaning and crafting (especially sewing, crochet, cardboard and glue!). Blogging at Cook Clean Craft
sarah_charade
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012 11:44:37 AM »

Oh geez, I'm so jealous! I'm still cutting on the floor! I've been wishing for a cutting table for years, but no space in my house. As it is, I've completely taken over the dining room for the last year, and no one gets to eat on the table. Everyone eats on the couch in the winter, and on the back patio in the summer. XD

Where did you get the iron? Do you have to go to a special supplier for industrial equipment? I really, really want one! I'm getting sick and tired of the domestic iron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NikFrei
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013 01:08:46 AM »

Love it! One day i'll have my own sewing studio too Smiley

I know this thread is old, wondering if you still sew?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Hottest Hair Trends for Spring 2014
How to Make Your Own Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
Tips for Coloring Hair from Dark to Light
How to Create a Massive Kelly Osbourne Top Knot
How to Get An Updated Modern Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...