A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jedi Robe=Finished!  (Read 728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: May 07, 2012 07:32:48 AM »

The on-going saga of my Jedi costume has another item complete=the Jedi robe! I finally finished it up last night. This is actually going to be a part of the Jedi costume I made and submitted last year for the costume contest.

I don't have any finished pictures of it yet and I need to head out the door to work, so here's a picture of it when it was about 3/4 of the way complete.

It's made of 100% linen from Joann Fabric, and the color is called "potting soil." I tried buying the remaining yards that I needed online but the fabric store's website kept saying there was an unknown error. The Va Beach store didn't get any more in since I bought all of what they had, so I had to go to the Chesapeake store to get the rest. That was a bit of a bummer too. If I had been able to buy it online, I would have saved a few more bucks over what the in-store sale price was.

Anyway, I bought a total of 7.8333 yards of this stuff ($95.07...YIKES!) and I don't even know how much I used for the robe as I have a lot left over. But the plus side is this: I have enough left over of this stuff to remake the tabbards and sash of the costume. Since I'm going for the best costume I can make, this is a good time to take another crack at it.

The only thing I wish I had done differently was the hem on the sleeves. For the very bottom hem and the hem around the hood, I used an X style of stitch, instead of a straight stitch, in matching brown thread. I thought having those XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX's all the way around the hems might add a little detail to the robe that only I would notice. If I had been thinking, I would have done those same X's around the bottom of the sleeves as well.

I actually made my sleeves an inch or so longer than the pattern, and I made the hood larger as well.

One of the Jedi robe "trademarks" is that the hood has to be large enough to "pool" on both sides of the head on the shoulders. Sons of the Suns had a nice image there to help show how large the hood should be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
christysaysrawr
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012 12:13:11 AM »

That looks pretty awesome!
I wish my construction skills were better- I suffered adding a hem to a shirt I made my boyfriend yesterday- it was a Storm Trooper shirt- or I'd have a go at this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing: How to Re-Gather
Glass Blowing: How Color Is Applied
Pottery: How to Make a Planter Pot
Pottery: How to Make a Large Pot
Pottery: How to Make a Double-Walled Vessel
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...