A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Q about Ongoing swaps  (Read 2808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OrangeKnickers
« on: May 07, 2012 02:44:24 AM »

I don't think I understand ongoing swaps.  Can someone point me to an info page about them, or explain how they work?  I checked the FAQ, but didn't see anything.  I don't understand how to participate in one... the "ongoing" part is what's throwing me.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist list

Will do private swaps for keys, cogs, and steampunk goodness.
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012 09:00:23 AM »

If they're ongoing is just means they start up again every month. All the rest of the information you'd need for them should be within the sign up threads themselves. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowari
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012 11:09:00 AM »

You aren't alone, OrangeKnickers. I have so much trouble understanding written instructions, it has always been really difficult for me to "get" ongoing swaps. I thought maybe if I just jumped in, it would help, so I found one that I think I got the gist of and I sent the organiser a PM last week explaining myself, but they haven't written back and signups end very soon, so now I feel even dumber and more confused... I think that was the beginning and end of me trying an ongoing swap  Cry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012 11:39:33 AM »

Well... For something like the ongoing wish swap where the claims for a chain it goes like this:

Person A posts a list of wishes, Person B claims something from A and posts their own list, Person A very sneakily claims person B and posts their list again, Person C claims person A and posts their list... And so on.

In this case you can only claim from the last person posted, and there's usually a claim limit depending on if you're new to swaps or perhaps a friend of craftster.

The problem with this swap is that someone needs to start (and they don't claim anyone) and the last one posting for that month will not be claimed. Ideally you'd like the chain to go on forever, but a swap can't be unlimited like that. So the OWS solves this problem by making a new round of the swap every month and posting the last list of september as the first list for october.

Another way to solve it is to make sure the first person posting is also the last person posting for that month.

Other swaps like the ongoing pinterest swap is not like a chain, (you can chose from any list) and it's only called ongoing because it keeps coming back month after month Smiley It might be less confusing to start with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012 12:33:51 PM »

Thank you, Annchen, for trying to explain, but I am one of those people who can read it (or any other type of instruction) a million times and still be just as confused as the first time. This is why I never go by patterns when I'm crocheting or knitting. I wish it was as easy as someone showing me how, like with knitting, because then I could pick it up right away...
I do think I'm finally starting to kind of get it (after years of reading and rereading the swap instructions and acting them out as scenes in my head), but it's still horribly confusing whenever I look at an ongoing swap for the first time. That's why I was so stoked to try this one out! I thought that I understood it! Embarrassed
Maybe after a day of moping I'll go check out the ongoing Pintrest swap to see if I can figure it out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012 12:36:04 PM »

Ohmygosh! The organiser just PM'd me and I'm in! My first ongoing swap! I'm so scared, yet excited! I hope I don't mess up...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012 03:18:32 PM »

You'll do fine! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012 03:24:34 AM »

Thank you for asking - I have wondered bout them also and would have liked to have joined some too.

Am I right in presuming tht someone can't claim and post a list unless they are approved members of the swap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012 11:56:53 AM »

Yeah, that's right. You need approval before posting and claiming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012 08:58:47 AM »

I am still frightened of the other Ongoing swaps, but since I organize the Pinterest swap, I'd say that one is a good one to start with. The OPS is basically just post a little about yourself and your Pinterest link and then go look at everyone else's links and see what you want to make for who. It's pretty low stress because you can claim as many times as you want (with only 2 or 3 not rec'd by your claim-ees at a time) and you get to choose what you want to make. No chains, nothing scary at all really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Corrine Jackson on the Inspiration Behind "If I Lie"
Darrell Bock on His Latest Book "Who Is Jesus?"
Behind-the-Scenes of the Lone Wolf Audio Book Recording
UnWholly Book Trailer
Douglas Brunt on His Novel "Ghosts of Manhattan"
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...