A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,085
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Want to learn embroidery, but where to start?  (Read 766 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Split Needles
« on: May 06, 2012 04:00:13 PM »

I've just recently decided I want to learn embroidery. But I'm not sure where to start. I don't know anything expect that I need some thread, fabric, hoop and needle. Other than that, I'm completely in the dark. I've perused a few websites and books, but they don't explain how to get started. It's mostly tutorials on different stitches and/or then they jump right into patterns. It's like trying to read a book in a foreign language when you only know a few words.  Undecided I'm looking for something that explains everything. If anyone is familiar with the Stitch 'n Bitch books for knitting, something like that for embroidery would be really helpful. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012 09:04:45 AM »

Sublime Stitching has great tutorials. I really think the best way to start is just jump in. I would suggest a cotton fabric or muslin to start with (like a tea towel or quilting fabric), a medium sized hoop, embroidery needles and DMC floss. I wouldn't start stitching on a stretchy fabric (like a knit)-it may be a bit frustrating. I would also start with a simple iron on pattern, again, check out Sublime Stitching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XenLoLo
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012 01:10:15 PM »

I just completed my first embroidery ever. I already had floss because I usually cross stitch on aida fabric. I did find that Sublime Stitching had fantastic tutorials on a few basic stitches, especially the french knot (which I always found super intimidating!). What I needed to realize was that embroidery needed a tight weave fabric that didn't stretch (unless you have stitch stabilizer) and that you use more than one strand of floss. The only hoop I have is 6", and I think that's good. I free handed my first embroidery without a pattern which was interesting haha. Just go for it. I learned a lot by trying it.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Under $30: Our Beauty Editors Share Their Fall Favorites
How to Maintain Tan, Glowing Skin After Summer
Best False Lashes For Different Eye Shapes
Terrence J Gives VIBE Vixen Editor A Makeover
The Best Beauty Boosts For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...