A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plarn shoes  (Read 995 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

T85girl
« on: May 06, 2012 04:44:04 AM »

This is my first post so please be patient with me.

I have been working with plarn (plastic bags + yarn) for a few weeks now. I would crochet with it when I was a kid and could not afford regular yarn. I recently picked this back up because our town was having a "green festival" and I wanted to make something for it. I was not able to have anything ready for it because I had only learned of the festival a week before and had to work.

When I started making the plarn I got a huge amount of interest in it. People in my small town had never seen anything like it or even thought of it as a possibility. Over the last few weeks several of my friends have been gathering up there old plastic bags they had been storing up and giving them to me to see what I could make.

I would prefer it if we could all use the reusable totes but sometimes we forget or we get more groceries than we have bags or we just don't think about it. It really opens up your eyes to the amount of bags out there... How much trash and waste we have. This is my chance to share with you a creative alternative. I have done quite a bit of research on the Internet about plastic bags, how much energy is used to recycle them (if they are recycled at all) and how many end up in landfills.

This is a pair of shoes I have made from Kroger plastic bags and crochet.

http://imgur.com/a70T2

This is a pair of sandals and a matching bag from wal-mart plarn

http://imgur.com/XzaKC

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Newbie97
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012 12:57:42 PM »

niiiice. i did a school project the other day about upcycling, and i made a belt out of plastic bags and macrame. your plarn shoes look great! please post more stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
T85girl
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012 12:42:33 PM »

Thanks so much! I did post a wallet I made as well. I have made tons of stuff but not really anything better than those items. Did you post pics of yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chasing Brooklyn Book Trailer
Meet Author Mary T. Browne
Robin Kelley Talks About Thelonious Monk
Karyl McBride Talks About Will I Ever Be Good Enough
Tips from Lauren Luke: Eyeshadow Color
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...