A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 308,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halter Dress for those of us well endowed.  (Read 1227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missingastitch
« on: May 05, 2012 05:32:22 PM »

I had just lost a ton of weight, so decided to buy myself a dress.  Now, I hate shopping and really don't know what type of clothing can be worn w/ and w/o a bra.  Well I've come to learn that halter dresses are meant to be worn without a bra....yeah cute, but I don't have a B cup.  More like D or DD, (brought any new bras yet) and halter dresses/tops aren't very friendly to those of us that have larger cup sizes.

Now I got the dress at walmart, so I can easily take it back, but I like it so much, as does my hubby.  And I am not the type to wear dresses or get prettied up.  Is there anything I can do with it?  I have a strapless bra, but that doesn't seem to work, it hold the girls, but then the strap shows in the back, I was thinking of layering it, but then that kinda defeats the purpose...

I'd figure if I could sew some sort of underwire it might work.  But I am not very good at sewing and have no clue where to get 'under wire', lol, i'd probably take a metal clothes hanger and bend it to shape.

Anyone have any suggestions, or can direct me to sites that either sell halter tops with more support?  I mean I am not saying I am plus size, I am far from there, @ 125lbs and counting....

Huh

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Layna
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012 06:18:26 PM »

I had just this discussion with a co-worker the other day and she suggested a sports bra.  I had never thought of that, and if it showed, would look more appropriate and pretty than a regular bra would.

Good luck with your mission  Wink and with your weight loss!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missingastitch
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012 01:43:19 AM »

Thanks, I'll try that, but the back of the dress is open...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Layna
kellianneeee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012 07:35:53 AM »

I know Victoria's Secret sells a bra that has straps that twist around the stomach for dresses with a low back. Otherwise you could maybe sew a band on the back part in a coordinating color so that it would cover a bra strap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjbf^_^
tigergirl
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012 10:27:52 PM »

I know Victoria's Secret sells a bra that has straps that twist around the stomach for dresses with a low back. Otherwise you could maybe sew a band on the back part in a coordinating color so that it would cover a bra strap.

Yep - a convertible bra is what you're after. One that can be change to be a halter neck and as the above poster said, has an extra strap that pulls the back down. In all honesty, I just avoid dresses like this as I find halter necks make my neck ache (I'm also a DD).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012 09:21:39 AM »

Here's a link to the convertible bra for DD's:

http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265813922713&c=Page&cid=1334717239054&pagename=vsdWrapper

The last picture shows how it works for a halter dress.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012 09:22:36 AM by mandodeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: For the Birds
February 22, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ballet Flats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...