A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any experience dyeing celluose fibers with Kool-aid?  (Read 823 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2012 02:17:19 PM »

I'm wondering how well a 100% cotton shirt will take kool-aid as a dye. How colorfast? I'd love to hear from anyone that's tried it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012 12:56:22 PM »

I haven't done it myself, but it doesn't work too well from what I've seen and read. It fades to a gentle pastel on cotton. Kool-Aid is, however, excellent on both nylon and wool. I microwave-dyed some wool roving with cherry (BLAM, bright red!), and many years ago tie-dyed a nylon slip using the stove-top method. Sadly, the wrinkles from the tie-dye job remained pretty pronounced, so I only wore it a few times before declaring it a fail. I imagine hand-painting a slip with hot Kool-Aid would be the better method. Here's a page all about dying with Kool-Aid and other food colouring.

I have used Tintex to excellent effect on cotton jersey using various shibori tie-dye techniques. Unfortunately, it's powdered, so you have to stir VERY thoroughly before adding your fabric, and the dye doesn't exhaust like higher quality dyes will. Exhausting the dye means that the water will actually go clear when all the dye is sucked up by the fabric, but Tintex won't do that no matter how much vinegar I add. The plus side is the price! In multiple towns in Ontario, the most expensive I've seen it at is just over 2 dollars. I've seen it most commonly at drug stores, and certain dollar stores keep it in stock near the laundry stuff because Tintex also has a fabric-brightener (basically Oxy-Clean).

So, yeah, main recommendation is to check drug stores and dollar stores for cheapo powdered dyes that say they can be used for cotton Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMantra
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012 08:42:43 AM »

I have used kool-aid and it works okay. The fade does go to a light pastel. However, I have found that heating it helps to retain the color and multiple applications will deepen the hue. The link the previous poster listed is a good one and should help you with your project.

Good luck with your project!
Martiel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martiel B.

Sewmantra
REUSE | RENEW | REINVENT
http://www.zibbet.com/sewmantra | http://sewmantra.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play The Adams Family Song on Violin
How to Play Somewhere Over the Rainbow on Violin
How to Play Happy Birthday on Violin
How to Play Ode to Joy in Violin
How to Play Old McDonald Had a Farm in Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...