A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: May the Fourth be with you, this Fibre Friday!  (Read 1281 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2012 01:05:42 PM »

Cheesy
 (in all honesty, I've never seen starwars.  Refuse to watch it, in fear of disappointment)

Anyway, this is about Yarn, not Starwars!

640 yards of BFL fingering ish weight

BFL 2 ply by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

I was left with nearly 1/2 a bobbin ful of single though...

One bobbin half full, the other empty. WTHeck? by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

Anyway, now that my jumbo whorl is on the wheel, I'm going to make something funky to share next week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012 01:47:08 PM »

I love you. I hate Star Wars, but I love the reference. I'm surprised I haven't made that joke yet to my husband (who loves SW) but I did stop making the Monthly Calenders after December so...

That yarn is awesome. It looks so shiny! I want to stroke it not for it's softness but for it's texture. Very nice. Nice yardage, too. I never have enough to make anything that but that could totally make like 3 socks! Are you planning to dye it?

Also, I think we have the same couch, but mine is brown pleather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Naantje
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012 02:09:33 PM »

I totally get you. I was really disappointed after watching (most of) the first Star Wars movie made. I must admit that I fell asleep half an hour before the end. It wasn't bad per se, but it definitely wasn't the amazing thing everybody had been getting my hopes up for...

I think spinning is amazing BTW, never done it, but I would love to have an old-fashioned spinning wheel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012 02:15:50 PM »

Thank you!  This'll be for both my final project and the Belinda Shawl i've been working on.  It will *hopefully* get a nature dye this weekend....

Okay, so you know how I said I'd share another that I was going to do for fun next week?  Well, the fibre didn't go as far as I thought it would, and it took me maybe an hour.  of course the twist isn't set, but really, I don't think this one will "bloom"

Super chunky just for fun yarn by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

And for size refrence (on my puny hand)

Details of the super chunky by SpinHeartSpin, on Flickr

My wheel hated it.  Seriously, to get the last probably 20 yards of single onto the bobbin, I had to hand feed it.  Then when I andean plyed it, i pretty much had to feed the whole thing onto the bobbin by hand.  I need another wheel....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shannin
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012 04:39:33 PM »

Some seriously fine and some seriously chunky yarns! Tongue

Here's what I've been up to...

nymph by shannin banana, on Flickr

ocean horizon by shannin banana, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog | Etsy | Pintrest | Wishlist
PM me for personal swaps. Smiley
WMA
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012 05:14:16 PM »

I haven't posted to a Fiber Friday in quite some time! Happy Star Wars Day to you all! I think if you didn't see the movies 'way back when' then they aren't all that impressive. Any older movie that used to be "amazing!" due to it's special effects and being a little different is pretty lame now if you don't have any nostalgic attachment to it. I find it similar to the old Footloose vs. new Footloose debate that went on a while back...most of those who thought the remake a horrific act of sacrilege (guilty) were those who had a nostalgic attachment to the original and most who loved the new one were those who didn't see Footloose back in the day. It's all about nostalgia!
Ok, enough yammering on about movies! Here's some fiber!  The pics crap as I used my cellphone and dusk is nearly upon us.
Bottom up:
The pink is rambouillet dyed with leftover red hair dye and spun in the coil boil style from Lexi's new book. I love the look of the coil boil! By the time I got to the navajo ply step I was hand feeding all of it onto the bobbin! It's tons of work for what ended up being about 10 yds, maybe less.
The next is a mix of fibers, some romney, merino, mohair, tencel, commercial yarn scraps...among others.
The next 2 brownish ones are coopsworth in 'sport coat' colorway which is brown, dark green and a bit of purple. One is 2 ply of the coopsworth and the other is a coopsworth single plied with some sort of purple shiny metallic stuff (I can barely call it thread as it seems more like plastic or something)

In this one we have 2 skeins of an unknown breed...really long locks (8-10in) with brown/dark brown tips. I bought a huge box of fiber from someone online and this fleece was in it. It is slightly felted but is working up into a great, chunky yarn that will one day become a rug of some sort, I think.
The bobbins have a lot of different fiber. The white has rambouillet, mill ends from SSS, merino, mohair, bamboo, silk, angora and some others I'm not sure of, lol! The colors splashed throughout it are mainly blues, greens and a little purple. The other bobbin is mainly purple romney and gray SSS unknown but I sandwiched a bunch of colored fibers in between when I was carding the batts. So it's a riot of color Smiley

Bella, that BFL is to die for...love that sheen! Also love your big chunky yarn! I'm a sucker for chunky, textured yarns.
Shannin, that first one is so lovely and such calming colors! I adore the colors in your Ocean Horizon roving...one of my fave combos!

Keep it coming ya'll! All this fiber is getting me hyped up for MDSW tomorrow...can't wait!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012 06:13:23 PM »

Shannin, both those colors ways are gorgeous, and the yarn looks so perfect.
WMA, I've wanted to try the coil boil technique, but knowong what I know about my wheel I think I'd have to hand feed the whole thing too... One day I will own an Aura.  One day....  The white on the bobbin is gorgeous! I love the pops of color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012 08:15:22 PM »

Thanks, Bella! What kind of wheel do you have? I have a Lendrum DT. I got the Complete because it seemed like the most bang for my buck. You could probably minimize the coil boil a bit by starting really small...like corespin on sewing thread or something, lol. My corespun started probably around worsted weight or maybe a little smaller. So it ended up pretty big, about the diameter of a dime. It fit through the orifices on my wheel with the jumbo flyer on though, just had to hand feed due to the plies being so bumpy and getting stuck on the wire guides. I love my Lendrum but I too will one day own an Aura!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012 09:17:02 PM »

I have an Ashford Traveler.  She's great.  I love her.  She's amazing at heavier yarns (standard bulky) and really fine yarns.  But if start to get crazy, oh boy.  She just wont take it! My super bulky yarn kept getting caught on the hooks, and stuck in the oriface, so I had to feed it by hand too.  Don't you wish the Aura was just a little bit more reasonable in price? (and by reasonable, I mean less expensive,  more affordable for more people.   For all the thought and technology, and new tension system etc. that went into it, the price is "reasonable")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Mad Scientist Costume For Halloween
How to Make a Highway Costume For Halloween
How to Make an Owl Costume For Halloween
How to Make a Baby Shower Hanging Flower Decoration
How to Make a Baby Shower Bottle Themed Place Card
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...