A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aiden and Anise Knockoff Gauze Receiving Blankets TUTORIAL  (Read 2742 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2012 04:13:54 PM »

I have been eyeballing the Aiden and Anise *muslin* receiving blankets that you can purchase at Target for a while now: ever since I found out I was pregnant.  BUT it's $45 for 4!  I just could not see spending that much for receiving blankets: especially on a fourth baby where we pretty much have everything we need already.  So, I researched and looked hard at the actual product while still in it's packaging anytime I was at Target...one thing I noticed: they aren't made out of muslin. At least not what I consider muslin to be.  They're made out of gauze.  There is a big difference between gauze and muslin.  Muslin is cheap, rough texture (I think so), and has no stretch.  Gauze is airy, breezy, stretchy, and soft.  Perfect for summer babies: especially breast fed ones!  (It gets quite hot under those heavy blankets while nursing a baby!)  Here is what I came up with:

Our local Joanns carries white gauze only...I was hoping for a bit more to choose from so I checked out online and found more at fabric.com  They in fact have many color options and some print options as well.  The pricing is way better than Joanns at $3.98 yd!  Joanns runs about $8 yd. Yeah.  I wanted 4 blankets at least so I purchased some white, purple and pink gauze.  Here's a simple tute for those of us who don't have a serger.

Cut the yardage down to your preferred size.  I like about 40"x50"...or even bigger can't hurt! 

Don't bother pressing the fabric, just fold over (once) as you go and zigzag stitch over the edge of the fabric.  Use a zigzag stitch to catch and keep the fabric from fraying AND because it's a stretchy fabric.  A straight stitch will simply bunch the fabric.  When you reach a corner, simply fold it upwards and zigzag to the edge.  Do this all the way around the blanket with a coordinating thread and then you're done. 

If you want to add a little decoration, cut a shape such as a heart out of knit fabric (stretchy fabric onto stretchy fabric).  Zigzag stitch around the edge to attach the shape you choose. 

WE are loving our gauze receiving blankets!  Our little one is 12 days old and we have used these blankets daily since she got home. 

and just because everyone likes to see a cute baby, here she is Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tuba_nae
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012 06:19:49 PM »

Gorgeous girlie!! And look at that hair! Congratulations on the new baby!

....And thanks for the tute. =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carlygilbren
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012 08:59:56 PM »

Awww! Congrats on such a beautiful baby girl!!

Great blankets as well  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012 04:31:04 AM »

Such a sweet looking baby. Smiley

And thanks for the tutorial on those blankets. What a smart idea.

Oh and thanks for pointing out that fabric.com carries gauze as I've been looking for some this summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acorn86
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012 04:43:11 PM »

I love these. They look wonderful and comfortable for you and baby. I wish I had had some of these when my son was little. Late spring and summer babies get so hot under regular blankets. Sad Nice idea and beautiful baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012 07:17:38 PM »

wonderful idea!! I have literally 10 friends who are pregnant, I believe I have a new project to do! lol Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Craft Flying Bird
How to Make Your Own Valentine Cards
How to use etching powder on glass items
The Benefits of Knitting
How to Do Block Printing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...