A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,604
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hunger Games Swap Round 2 SIGN UPS May 2nd - May 14th send outs June 11th  (Read 10325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012 10:50:21 AM »

I really loved the movie.  I thought the actors were great, I thought the storyline went well for fitting it in a movie time frame.  However, I hated the camera shots at the beginning.  All of the shakeyness was making me sick.  Lots of people were upset the director was changing for Catching Fire, but I was thinking 'good, maybe the camera will be still'. 
There was something I remember talking about that I didn't think would make sense without reading the book, but of course I don't remember it now, LOL.  I'll have to think on it.  Either way, I enjoyed the movie.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012 11:05:00 AM »

Maybe Seneca Crane and the berries?  I had to explain that part to my non-reader friend.

She also didn't get that Katniss was acting like she loved Peeta to protect him. That was completely lost on her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubylynns
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012 11:23:21 AM »

I loved the movie in the moment, I didn't even notice the shakey cam.  After I started thinking about it though I kinda don't like the movie at all.  They left so much out!  I had to explain some parts to friends that didn't read the book also.  I think they focused to much on the behind the scenes of the arena and not as much on Katniss's life.

Like jo_momma said we didn't see any of the struggle of their lives.  We didn't know why she was fighting so hard.  Also where was gale!?! He was hardly in the movie at all.  That really bothered me.  He's such an integral part of the book and I feel like they just left him out of the movie. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012 12:21:50 PM »

i didn't understand why crane was in the movie so much?

also, had I directed the movie (lol) i would have explained more of what you could not know from the books.  they did some of the behind the scenes stuff with the control room, but i'd rather know more about what haymitch was doing, and go back to their families at home watching (and thereby giving more details about their lives,etc).  the book was obviously from katniss pov, and we got to know what she was thinking all the time.  the movie was not, so they needed to explain more.

i thought that peeta and kayniss in the movie had very little chemistry.  watching them kiss felt awkward.  i never felt like he was in love with her.  i also don't think they established a relationship with katniss and rue enough to make sense to people who didn't read.

and i hated the part at the reaping when the crowd did the signal of respect to katniss.  in the book it was a very touching moment where one person did it, then another, until the whole crowd was giving a symbol that was a bit rebellious.  in the movie it was like somebody said "1, 2, 3 - do the sign!", like they did it all the time.  killed the moment for me.

i could go on forever.  i am glad they have a new director for the next one (heard the first director only read the first book!).  i thought "i am legend" (one of his) was brilliantly done.

and there is one thing that i did not like about the book.  brace yourselves.  i do not like prim.  her character had no diminsion.  everyone loved her and she had a goat and a cat and made cheese.  i guess the author thought that if she kept saying that everyone just loves prim, or couldn't help but love her, or if somebody was willing to die for her . . . that she wouldn't have to give her a personality to back that up?  every other character got humanizing qualities (example: peeta's father, a small character overall, pines for katniss' mother and vows to care for her and prim for katniss), but the character that basically causes the entire story gets very little substance.  i just wish i had a reason to like her more than somebody telling me i should?

somebody stop me!  ahhh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
lindseymetz87

Hello Mr. horsey how are you? ♥

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012 12:46:24 PM »

I thought the movie was absolutely fantastic. I think that is almost exactly like the book and a read them again a few times before them movies came out so i knew them in and out. I thought all of the charaters did and excllent job and the two stars were fabulous. I ended up seeing the movie several times lol. I think considering that the movie was two and a half hours long there was no way they could have added any more information and there were only a few things that you might not have picked up on if you hadnt read the books. The hole thing with seneca was to help show how evil president snow is and also to help explain some of the things that were going to happen in the next book. I think that they were trying to look ahead. But it was amazing and im buying it the day it comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012 01:10:31 PM »

and there is one thing that i did not like about the book.  brace yourselves.  i do not like prim.  her character had no diminsion.  everyone loved her and she had a goat and a cat and made cheese.  i guess the author thought that if she kept saying that everyone just loves prim, or couldn't help but love her, or if somebody was willing to die for her . . . that she wouldn't have to give her a personality to back that up?  every other character got humanizing qualities (example: peeta's father, a small character overall, pines for katniss' mother and vows to care for her and prim for katniss), but the character that basically causes the entire story gets very little substance.  i just wish i had a reason to like her more than somebody telling me i should?

LOL.  I'm also not a Prim fan. :X
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moriwen
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012 04:05:11 PM »

Alright... I'm putting myself out there and bracing for impact.

I did not read the books until after the movie.

As a diehard Book-before-Flick girl, I was mildly ashamed at myself but I've been so busy lately to catch up with all my series. And after another story was utterly ruined for me in the last book (four books in mind you, of amazing before a poo storm), I was TERRIFIED to read HG until after I saw it. It was as if I treated the movie as the trailer to the books.

And I need to say, I enjoyed the movie.

I caught on to a lot of the character development and arcs while watching that I was happy were in the books, but I've been told I overanalyze things a lot so I wasn't too surprised. I'm with you on disliking Prim, but I hate the obligatory 'Love me because everyone adores me, just cause' characters. And I found in both print and celluloid Katniss to be incredibly touching and endearing of a character.

My only critique is at the end, and I will try and make it as spoiler-free as possible.

With a certain final 'obstacle', critter based as it was; I was sad they didn't get into the real horror of it. The knowledge of whose eyes peered out from said twisted visage. The cruelty of it... the horror of it. I can some up my pain in two words, words that still send a shiver up my spine.

Rue's Eyes.

Anybody else with me on that? It seemed more painful in the book, but when the first one popped up I totally squeaked...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Superhero Swap -Feedback time. ^.^

I do personal swaps!

Unseelie Sidhe with a penchant for rainbows and sparkles.

I <3<3 The Doctor
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012 06:22:56 PM »

I also missed that Katniss didn't call out Peeta's name with the rule change.  And grr for no Peeta leg. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jo_mama
call me jo.

no stone throwing regardless of housing situation

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012 06:40:03 PM »

I thought the mutt eyes were a bizarre piece in the book and didn't miss it.  After all, they would have had to spend more time developing those tributes and making their eyes fiercely recognizable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my pins pinterest.com/josasser
and my websites josasser.com and splendidhandmade.co m
KodaNRoxyDogs
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012 10:15:35 PM »

My only critique is at the end, and I will try and make it as spoiler-free as possible.

With a certain final 'obstacle', critter based as it was; I was sad they didn't get into the real horror of it. The knowledge of whose eyes peered out from said twisted visage. The cruelty of it... the horror of it. I can some up my pain in two words, words that still send a shiver up my spine.

Rue's Eyes.

Anybody else with me on that? It seemed more painful in the book, but when the first one popped up I totally squeaked...

I have to agree with you on this. In the book it was horrifying, terrible, spine chilling for me. In the movie it was like.. Hey we are at our time limit, lets speed this up! I wish they would have spent another minute or two to try to recreate that feeling.

Overall I loved the movie, but I have to say there were a few things I would have changed if I could have. (Could have used more Gale, and more drunk Haymitch for starters!) But, considering I saw it twice in the theater I guess I cant complain too much!

I want to join this swap so bad, and Im trying to figure out how I could make it work with my work schedule for the next 15 days, and then being out of the country at the start of June from June 8-16th..but if I cant get it figured out by May 14th, Ill be stalking the gallery to see/pin(hehe) all the lovely fabulous amazing goodies you talented group of people come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Ancho-Jalapeno Chile Sauce with Chicken Thighs
‘Taste of Home’ Magazine’s Barbecued Burgers Recipe
Cristina Ferrare’s Peach Tea-Brined Chicken with Bourbon-Peach BBQ Sauce
How to Make Cajun Shrimp Scampi
Nacho Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...