A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fishie earrings  (Read 2194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2012 04:24:47 AM »

I figured this fits better in this section than the jewelry section as it's not showcasing the jewelry, but it's showcasing my polyclay skills lol.

ok, so these are fishes in glass jars. the liquid is cheap silcone "personal" lubricant lol. I made the fish nearly a year ago, added the lube and they're not degraded in the lube which is good. I've only just got around to making them into earrings.

I get my bottles and findings on ebay. And I REALLY need to make more of these 'cos I've not done it in aaaages lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethCottrell
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012 04:38:40 AM »

OH MY DAYS!!!!!!!!!!! Iwant to make some of these they are so cute!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012 05:01:09 AM »

you will need some very thin, long tweezers, cocktail sticks or toothpicks, a good oven thermostat and a very steady hand! I went through about 4 bottles before I worked out that they needed to be baked at a lower temp and for a slightly shorter time to cure as they're so small and the glass amplifies the heat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
groperesponsibly
Mom to a beautiful, craft loving little girl!!

Dippin' my fingers into all things crafty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012 05:45:13 AM »

Too damn cute!!!  I've thought of doing something similar, but just never got around to doing it!  Since I'm busting out the clay, this will definitely have to be one of my projects that I FINALLY get around to doing!!!

I'm ever so slightly obsessed with sea life.  A lot.

Love them Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do: Polymer clay minatures, Polymer clay beads, Beadweaving, Jewelry, Stone cutting (Cabachons) and wirework.  I will be doing: Stone cutting (faceted), Pottery, Silver and Glass work.

Personal swaps welcome Smiley
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012 06:32:48 AM »

'because im going to make tiny fishy earrings' would certainly be one reason the checkout staff had never heard before from anyone purchasing a tube of lubricant Grin

great earrings Grin im impressed by how detailed they are
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012 09:18:29 AM »

. . . need a good oven thermostat ... I went through about 4 bottles before I worked out that they needed to be baked at a lower temp and for a slightly shorter time to cure as they're so small and the glass amplifies the heat.. . .
. . .the liquid is cheap silcone "personal" lubricant lol. I made the fish nearly a year ago, added the lube and they're not degraded in the lube which is good.

Very cute! Cool   Love small waterglobes, but those are reeaally tiny ones.

I definitely have a few questions:

BAKING
1. Were you curing all the clay inside at the same time, or was the fishie prebaked from last year?
2. Which brand/line of polymer clay were you using?
3. Which temp and how long a baking time did you find to be too much?

CLEAR FILLER
4. Would you mind telling us the brand of lubricant you used?  Even the silicone ones often have different ingredients in them and other diff's.
5. The silicone liquid looks fairly liquidy in the pics?  How liquidy is it, and have you tried putting microfine glitters or other things in it to see how fast they "fall" if turned upside down?  Does the temp of the air/bottle make a difference to the viscosity of the silicone?
6. How long have the clay items been in the lube so far? (can take up to 6 months to see some effects of various liquids on polymer clay if completely submerged)

BOTTLE STOPPERS
6. Are they silicone balls (and flexible)?...and/or did you make them yourself?
7. Did you glue them into the bottles, and if so with which glue?

Thanks!

. . . 'because im going to make tiny fishy earrings' would certainly be one reason the checkout staff had never heard before from anyone purchasing a tube of lubricant . . .

maxxev, another reason for purchasing lubricant (water-based this time) gave a lot of clayers back in the late 90's a load of fun at the checkout stand too.  The KY was being used for turning raw polymer clay on an electric lathe, which was being demonstrated at a nearby polymer clay conference.  The clayers waiting in lines with their lubes in hand had quite a fun time not mentioning the clay part as they "discussed" what they'd be doing, and watching reactions of the checkers and others in line... Grin).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012 09:24:09 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012 12:51:24 PM »

BAKING
1. Were you curing all the clay inside at the same time, or was the fishie prebaked from last year?
2. Which brand/line of polymer clay were you using?
3. Which temp and how long a baking time did you find to be too much?

CLEAR FILLER
4. Would you mind telling us the brand of lubricant you used?  Even the silicone ones often have different ingredients in them and other diff's.
5. The silicone liquid looks fairly liquidy in the pics?  How liquidy is it, and have you tried putting microfine glitters or other things in it to see how fast they "fall" if turned upside down?  Does the temp of the air/bottle make a difference to the viscosity of the silicone?
6. How long have the clay items been in the lube so far? (can take up to 6 months to see some effects of various liquids on polymer clay if completely submerged)

BOTTLE STOPPERS
6. Are they silicone balls (and flexible)?...and/or did you make them yourself?
7. Did you glue them into the bottles, and if so with which glue?

Thanks!

1. made, inserted and baked in the jar.
2. Fimo classic.
3. the temp I found to be too much was the one given on the pack instructions. I used 70 deg c for 11-13 mins for the red fish, the orange fish took 15 mins though.
4. Can't remember, and don't know where the bottle is but I do know it's no longer sold in the uk. pink bottle, available in poundland a year ago... sorry Sad I actually bought it for... other purposes but turns out I'm allergic to it so it's not pure silicone like Millennium ID lube or similar.
5. very liquid. not tried glitter, not even thought about it. temp seems to make no difference, nor does air make a difference and the clay has been submerged for a year (well, 11.5 months). I did have an idea (after being given some tips on here) of painting the inside of the bottle to a certain level with clear nail polish so it gives an effect of water without being wet, BUT realised I'd not be able to cure the clay in the bottle once this had been done and it's better to have malliable clay to work with in the bottle so that idea quickly went outa the window.
6. not a clue what they're made from, and they came with the glass bottles.
7. standard Bostik Superglue (cyanoacrylate I think).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012 02:14:17 AM by mrsflibble » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012 10:45:17 PM »

Cute! I could definitely see "crafting with lube" being a future Craftster challenge  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012 10:24:09 AM »

Thanks for the details!

Looks like I had two #6 questions though  Undecided, so I'd still like to know:

I made the fish nearly a year ago, added the lube and they're not degraded in the lube which is good. I've only just got around to making them into earrings.

(I had first assumed you'd made the fishie and baked it, then a year later added the lube and made them into earrings.  But rereading more carefully, not sure now of the order.  If the clay has been in the lube for a year, that's a really good sign--though guess you didn't use solid dark colors that the whitish coating would mostly show up on so maybe not a full test.)

I worked out that they needed to be baked at a lower temp and for a slightly shorter time to cure as they're so small and the glass amplifies the heat. . . . I used 70 deg c for 11-13 mins for the red fish, the orange fish took 15 mins though.

Also, re the temps (question #8):

I'm wondering if the heat was "too much" at first only because you baked tiny pieces too long. Just being in glass wouldn't amplify the heat or make the clay hotter for any reason I can think of, but since glass is a poor conductor it could take a tiny bit longer for the desired temp to reach the clay (...just asked the DH who's a physics person and he agrees).

Some other things can make the heat "hotter" though, or can make the polymer clay darken:

The first is since temp and time are interdependent for a thermosetting plastic like polymer clay, the thinner the clay (usually measured at the thickest part) the quicker it will cure/polymerize all the way to the center.  I think most polymer clayers bake their "miniatures" for only 5 min or so (at the regular temp** of 275F-135C).

Another thing is that most polymer clays (except Kato Polyclay) will darken too much when the temp goes over 275F-135C, though most polymer clays can stay at the proper temp for hours if properly regulated.  But, it's practically impossible to keep (all) the heat that actually comes in contact with the clay over the entire baking time, at a particular temp in a home oven (unless the clay is protected, and there are no hot spots in the oven, etc...the thermometer sitting right next to the clay can tell the temp reaching the thermometer, but not necessarily all parts of the clay). You didn't say anything about protecting your clay/bottle, but maybe you did?

Also, the type of material the clay is sitting on during curing can become hotter than the air around it--e.g., if the baking surface is a tile or other ceramic.  So then the bottom of the item will get hotter than it perhaps should, and especially for miniatures that can quickly become a problem.

** The newest formulations of some of the brands are nowadays suggesting 230 F (110 C) and baking for a longer time, but most clayers still use the old temps (275/130) after finding out they didn't need to use the lower ones (it's thought that the lower temp was also suggested because the manufacturers still think of their clays as "children's toys" so want to make them sound more child-safe which they think the lower temp would do).
(There's loads of info on baking polymer clay, protecting it, etc, here if you're interested too:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm )

P.S.  I've also been replying back and forth with a person making tiny bottles, some with clay, on the main Trinkets & Jewlery board (some also have fake water--she used glycerin in hers), so having a hard time remembering who said what!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=407850.msg4810547#msg4810547
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012 10:31:19 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012 02:45:07 PM »

lol, thanks!
to clarify, I made the fish AND put them in the lube 11 months ago, and they're not degraded in any way. no white deposits, nothing which is an awesome sign.

I made an octopus the same way and had it as a phone charm, but I didn't glue the lid properly and "lost" all of the lube... which probably contributed to why my old nokia got a little cellphone senile lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Face Paint Tools for a Galactic Alien
How to Face Paint a Galactic Alien
Margo Machida Profiles Asian American Activist Artists
Artist Wucius Wong Describes Chinese Calligraphy
Superhero Origins: Beast
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...