A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dramatic drops  (Read 2989 times)
Tags for this thread: kiln_formed_glass , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrazyEyeGlass

Will work for peer approval

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012 02:27:51 PM »

@GlassKicker: no problem with sharing! (see below) *
@speedingpullet: definitely try again! But note that you need to have thick enough glass for a successful slump (see below) **

BTW, this is the lap grinder that I have: http://www.delphiglass.com/cold-working-tools/grinders-polishers/crystalmaster-pro-12-lap-grinder-kit

*Polishing on a lap grinder:
  • You might want to put a duct tape "handle" on the glass before you start grinding. Glass gets mighty slick when wet and you wouldn't want the grinder to fling your beautiful glass out of your hands! Oh, prepare to get wet, too.  Smiley
  • Start with the 120 grit for the coarsest grind, keeping in mind that this grit can take a lot of glass off. Hold the glass firmly against the disc moving back and forth across the surface of the disc. Just try to get a nice even surface in case the tile saw left bumps.
  • Move to the 400 grit, holding the glass firmly against the disc until an evenly distributed grind is achieved.
  • Move to the 600 grit. In my case the manufacturer specifies that no water should be used for this stage. Keep at it until there are no deep scratches and the surface is evenly ground.
  • Move to the Polypad + Cerium Oxide stage. Mix some cerium oxide up in a bottle with enough water to achieve a buttermilk-like consistency (thick, but pourable). Wet the polypad until soaking. Turn off the water. Pour some of the cerium oxide on the wet pad in a zig zag pattern. Turn the lap grinder on and start polishing. You may have to stay on this stage for a while to achieve a high polish, stopping occasionally to rewet the polypad if necessary.
  • If there are still visible scratches or grooves, move back to the 400 or 600 stage (depending on how deep the scratches are), and progress through the stages again.
  • Once you are finished with your polishing, you may have sharp edges. These can be "seamed off" with a wet belt sander or grinder.

You'll need to practice your cold working skills a lot to get good at this, but the results are worth it!

**Drop mold tips:
  • The pieces shown are made with three to four layers of 3mm glass, so that's a total of 9-12mm or up to 1/2".
  • Schedule for full fusing:
    300dph -> 1225 F hold 45 min
    600dph -> 1500 F hold 10 min
    full/afap -> 960 F hold 2 hours
    100dph -> 800 F no hold
    180dph -> 700 F off
  • Drop schedule for 7.25" bowl:
    250dph -> 1300 F hold up to 3 hours (visually confirm slump)
    full/afap -> 960 F hold 2 hours
    100dph -> 800 F no hold
    180dph -> 700 F off
  • Drop schedule for 10.75" bowl:
    200dph -> 1250 F hold up to 3 hours (visually confirm slump)
    full/afap -> 960 F hold 3 hours
    45dph -> 800 F no hold
    80dph -> 700 F no hold
    270dph -> 200 F off
  • Note that the color and opacity of your glass will affect how quickly and/or evenly your piece slumps. Black will absorb heat and slump dramatically faster than white will.

Hope this helps!
Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrazyEyeFusedGlass
Friend me on Facebook: Crazy Eye Glass
Follow me on Twitter: CrazyEyeGlass
GlassKicker
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012 06:08:26 PM »

CrazyEyeGlass - I appreciate your willingness to share your experience!  Thank you.  Jealous of that grinder model!  I have a little 8" Inland Swap Top hobby model.  It's not a true 8" though, because of the way the laps mount  - there is a shaft in the center, rather than the traditional magnetic disks you see on sturdier models.  I haven't ventured into the polish stages with it, but just might give it a try after seeing your results!  I'm hoping to upgrade to something similar to your modle after the Glass Expo in Vegas next April.

You stated that you are using three to four layers of 3mm glass - can I assume that your blanks are being dammed during the full fuse?  Also, your schedules are similar to mine, but a smidge different - are you using Bullseye 90, Spectrum 96, or?Huh

Thanks,

~ Tracy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrazyEyeGlass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012 06:29:39 PM »

@GlassKicker: I used fiber paper (the thick stuff, not thin fire) around the edge of the glass, with some dams. (At least I think I did, my memory is a little fuzzy since that was last February.) And I use Bullseye 90. I always anneal at 960 F, though Bullseye's schedules now show annealing at 900 F.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GlassKicker
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012 12:50:23 PM »

Thanks, CrazyEye!  Much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tropicbird
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013 06:34:12 PM »

Oh my goodness, Crazyeye! You've reached another high level of expertise and beautiful artwork! These are absolutely stunning. I never realized that glass could be so gorgeous. Seeing your pieces really tempts me to become an avid collector, but I'm afraid that in my hands "dramatic drops" goes with the undesirable verb of "smashing", not the complimentary adjective of "smashing" that describes your beautiful artistry.  Smiley Just love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013 08:57:40 AM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2012 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2012 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazyEyeGlass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013 01:51:13 PM »

OMG! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013 06:17:48 AM »

Thank YOU!  They are such gorgeous pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredients TEA, DEA, MEA
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredient DMDM Hydantoin
How to Curl Hair With a Can
Tips on Using a Hair Straightener Flat Iron
How to Blow Dry Hair and Add Volume
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...