A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
823 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand-Carved Stamp Swap--Round 4 (Signups 5/1 to 5/31; SEND OUT 6/30)  (Read 15074 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 29, 2012 08:23:02 AM »

We have a sender!
GALLERY

Hello all!  Who's up for the ripping excitement of another round of hand-carved rubber stamps?!  Doesn't matter if there are a few or many participants in this swap, it will be a heck of a lot of fun.  Come join!  Yay!

Rubber stamps can be made of carving rubber (can be purchased online or at a craft store like Michaels) or from erasers (youll need a new one of good quality).  Scroll down for some answers to frequently asked questions.

For this swap you will be making one stamp for each partner assigned to you (optional 2 to 10 partners
---See Frequently Asked Questions below for more info about partner assignment.).

Youll have 4 weeks for designing/carving, but of course you can send out as soon as youre ready.  It's a good idea to go about purchasing supplies as soon as you sign up, so you can make sure you've got everything you need.  Smiley

Swap name: Hand-carved Stamp Swap -- Round 4
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: WideEyedLife
Sign-up date range: May 1 to May 31
Date to send item by: Saturday, June 30

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): No, but I'll need a co-org if we go over 25.
Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO
Additional Age requirement? No

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES
- Is at least 18 years old: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 16 years old: YES
- If within the US, understands that Delivery Confirmation number is required for this swap: YES
- If outside the US, understands that a mailing receipt copy is required for this swap: YES

Send questionnaire in to WideEyedLife  IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.  Also, remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find other rules about participating in a swap.

1. Please PM the organizer when you send or receive a package.  (It's also good to notify the person you received from or are sending to.)
2.  Label the message as Stamp Swap--Sent or Stamp Swap--Received.

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
*Name of swap: Handmade Rubber Stamp Round 4
*Craftster username
*Email address
*Your real name
*Mailing address, formatted as it must written for a package to correctly reach your home, including the country.
*Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
*Confirm that are at least 16 years old or, if not, that you have moderator approval(YES/NO)
*Do you have a camera or scanner so that you can post pictures of the stamps your receive?
*Is delivery confirmation (or its equivalent) required for this swap?
*Do you consider yourself a beginner, intermediate or advanced stamp carver?  (See Frequently Asked Questions below)
*What is the max number of partners you want to have for this swap? (2-10)?
*What is the ideal number of partners you want to have for this swap? (2-10)?
*Are you a gouger or a X-acto knife carver?
*Do you use erasers or carving material?:
*Is there any design that you would absolutely not want to receive?  (eg.  nudity, Japanese, zombies, swearing, religious...)
*What kind of designs would you like to receive? (tattoo flash, floral, victorian era stuff, games, abstract, animals...)
*What kind of designs would you like to make?
*What kind of crafts do you use your stamps for?
*Do you have a pinterest?  (Any special pinterest "boards" your partners could reference for this swap?)
*Do you have any allergies?
*Are there any allergens in your home (pets, smoking?)
*Anything else your partners need to know about you?

PREVIOUS HAND-CARVED STAMP SWAP GALLERIES
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3

POSTING PIX OF STAMPS RECEIVED
It is OH so important to post pictures of the amazing stamps you receive!  This is the best way in the world to let it be known how special it is that you've received a wonderful treasure of someone else's creativity!    Cheesy
Please post pictures/scans of your received stamps in the gallery (or make arrangements with your partner to do so).

ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

How do I know what "level" I am?
Heres a rough guideline:
  • Beginner: Youve never done this before and consider yourself, umm, in more of an experimental stage.  Perhaps you dont own any tools, erasers, or carving medium.
  • Intermediate: Youve done this before, but are hoping to improve your technique.
  • Advanced: You are mostly satisfied with your technique.

What size stamps am I making?
Just be smart.  Larger than 3x3 inches probably wouldn't be typical---though is totally acceptable---, but smaller than 1x1 would probably be too small,---of course it may be that quality makes up for size, so the rule isn't for sure.  If you have any concerns about the size of what you're making, PM your receiving partner, or post your question in this thread.  Be sure and check out the links to previous swaps to get an idea what others have done.

How are partners assigned for this swap?
  • Participants will be organized into swapping groups according to their questionnaire answers.
  • Groups will have 3 to 6 participants each.
  • Individual participants might be part of multiple groups.
1)A person will be assigned no more partners than the max partners they stated they would accept in the questionnaire.
2)A person will be assigned partners as close as possible to the ideal number they stated in their questionnaire.

What about extras?
In this swap more than others I've seen, people may tend to send extra stamps.  *THIS IS NOT REQUIRED NOR SHOULD IT BE EXPECTED.*  Sometimes people send along a "goof-up" stamp, or stamps they made just because they were having too much fun to stop.  Or even some small extra supplies or doo-dads.  For this specific swap, extras are okay.  But neither need anyone feel at all guilty that they only send the swap requirements.

It's a good idea to communicate with your partner about extras.  And please remember that if you choose to send extras without communicating with your partners, they have no obligation to send you any extras themselves.  Smiley

How do I know if the stamp I made is good enough?
 Kiss  This is a swap for crafters of all levels.  But if youre concerned about your stamp, a good rule of thumb is that if you like it enough to wish you could keep it yourself, than youve hit the spot.   Make something that you like; no doubt your partners will, too!  No one is expecting perfection. Smiley

How do I ship the stamps?
DO NOT SHIP THESE IN A STANDARD ENVELOPE.  Let's please try to avoid the crying and the weeping and the sad sad sounds of people who send stamps in standard envelopes only to realize too late that when they are run through the postal machines they get caught and have their guts ripped out.  Mangling and crushing and breakage of beautiful little rubber stampies!   Cry

These stamps will be too thick to just send in standard envelopes.  They will need to be packaged in bubble wrap envelopes, or other sturdy ways, and be handled as packages and not as letters.  DELIVERY CONFIRMATION REQUIRED, or MAILING RECEIPTS for international senders.   Wink

Do you know any tutorials?

Any more tutorials?
  • Google search "Stamp carving tutorials" for a bunch of tutes and images.
  • This craftster board has fun samples of tutorial-less sample stamps as well.

What kind of carving rubber can I use?
This is personal preference.   Smiley
I wouldn't go so far as to warn anyone off of buying any one material.  There are just too many variables than to be all-or-nothing with carving materials.  The Speedball Master-Cut is crumbly and delicate, but it is great for fine details with light pressure and if you're mounting your stamp and careful with it, no problems.  When I first started, everyone told me to get the pink stuff (Speedy Carve) or the orange, grade A PZ Kut because they were the best - and I hated both of them!  Plus, stampeaz hasn't come out with a batch of PZ Kut for over a year.  Each material is different and better suited for different levels of details as well the preference of the carver.  I'd suggest taking everyone's opinion into account and trying out a few small pieces so you have a foundation idea of what you like to carve for what.  Then you know if you prefer solid or gummy, crumbly or rubbery, thick or thin, etc.  This swap might be a great chance to swap out a few pieces of different materials you have with your partners so you can try them without a huge investment.

If I use erasers, what kind of erasers should I use?
This is also personal preference.  Go for a mini shopping spree and pick up several types to try!  Many people recommend vinyl erasers, (not pink rubber ones), as they have less tendency to crumble.  You might try WalMart, or a dollar store, or any office supply store.

What tools do I use to carve?
Anything that will dig in with a clean cut.  Some suggestions:
  • Speedy brand carving tools.
  • Sharp sewing needles work great for fine detail-work.
  • X-acto blade knives.

Do I have to mount the stamps?
No.

How do I get the image on the carving material?
Some ideas:
  • Draw on it directly.
  • Draw it in pencil on something else and transfer it through rubbing.
  • Laser printer method:
Print out an image with a laser printer (found out the hard way that mine isnt!!) cut out image.. put face down on your rubber and lightly dab the back with a cotton ball dipped in nail polish remover (with acetone) ... then lift paper.... image will be on your carving medium!! great for letters as you then carve our whats on your stamp and then it stamps the right way!! great for a doofus like me!! Smiley

Remember, when carving text or lettering, to carve it backwards so it stamps forwards!  lol

Grin Grin Grin  LETS GET CARVING!  Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012 09:15:44 PM by WideEyedLife » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012 08:24:24 AM »

PARTICIPANTS

List of participants:
1. WideEyedLife
2. hgddm
3. IdlersDesign
4. jtlhmmwabodf
5. mycutezombies
6. angelxwing
7. jexxican
8. Vecrutzi
9. Artmomto5
10. Bobomom
11. RougeRaven
12. PlumCrafty
13. sheeshakaye
14. kmichele_craftyfae
15. indigo_roses
16. elyxandra  **welcome, first time swapper!**
17. Witchhippie
18. chibilightangel
19. Wulf
20. astrangeone

Grin Grin Grin  PARTNERS!  Grin Grin Grin

Sent
Received
PicturesPostedByRec eiver
Sending late with communication
Please contact organizer
Flaked (Please don't make me use this color!   Undecided)
Feedback given

1. WideEyedLife ---------> Vecrutzi, Plumcrafty, kmichele_craftyfae, hgddm, Artmomto5, Bobomom, astrangeone, jexxican, Witchhippie
2. *hgddm ---------------> WideEyedLife, angelxwing, Vecrutzi
3. IdlersDesign ----------> Wulf, mycutezombies, Vecrutzi, kmichele_craftyfae, Witchhippie, Plumcrafty
4. *jtlhmmwabodf ---------> indigo_roses, Vecrutzi
5. mycutezombies -------> jexxican, IdlersDesign
6. angelxwing -----------> indigo_roses, Artmomto5, hgddm, RougeRaven, Bobomom
7. jexxican --------------> mycutezombies, RougeRaven, Vecrutzi, Witchhippie, WideEyedLife

8. *Vecrutzi --------------> WideEyedLife, jtlhmmwabodf, IdlersDesign, Witchhippie, jexxican, hgddm, kmichele_craftyfae
9. Artmomto5 -----------> WideEyedLife, indigo_roses, angelxwing, RougeRaven, Bobomom
10. Bobomom -----------> WideEyedLife, angelxwing, Artmomto5
11. RougeRaven ---------> angelxwing, jexxican, Artmomto5
12. PlumCrafty ----------> WideEyedLife, IdlersDesign, Witchhippie
13. *sheeshakaye --------> elyxandra, Wulf, chibilightangel
14. kmichele_craftyfae --> WideEyedLife, IdlersDesign, Witchhippie, Vecrutzi

15. indigo_roses ---------> Artmomto5, angelxwing, jtlhmmwabodf
16. elyxandra -----------> sheeshakaye, Wulf, chibilightangel
17. Witchhippie ----------> Vecrutzi, jexxican, IdlersDesign, Plumcrafty, kmichele_craftyfae, WideEyedLife
18. chibilightangel -------> sheeshakaye, elyxandra, Wulf, astrangeone
19. Wulf -----------------> sheeshakaye, elyxandra, chibilightangel, IdlersDesign
20. astrangeone ---------> chibilightangel, WideEyedLife
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012 09:38:21 PM by WideEyedLife » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012 09:15:36 AM »

I am trying and trying to send my questionnaire, but Safari won't let me! Auggh! Totally in though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012 09:20:10 AM »

I am trying and trying to send my questionnaire, but Safari won't let me! Auggh! Totally in though Smiley

So excited to have you join!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mycutezombies
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012 09:59:56 AM »

Ooh. I've always wanted to try carving stamps. This might be the perfect swap for me if there will be other beginners and I won't have to feel like I might let my partners down. Sending my questionnaire today!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mountains and Clouds
Tutorial Contributor

don't worry, be happy. for realz.

Mo' bettah you live Hawai`i

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012 11:08:54 AM »

Oh my goodness!  I WANT TO DO THIS!  However, I am all full of swaps at the moment, and will try and send out early on one to clear a space in time! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY ADDRESS HAS CHANGED AS OF APRIL 2014.  PLEASE PM ME FOR AN UPDATE IF YOU NEED IT! : )
IdlersDesign

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012 12:20:34 PM »

You made my day; I've been dreaming of doing this swap again! Last round was so much fun!
So, I'll be signing up later tonight.  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
angelxwing
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012 03:34:58 PM »

just signed up :DDD

have not worked with the people that signed up so far ! SUPER EXCITEDDDDDDD.

hi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012 03:38:51 PM »

Welcome swappers!  I'm so excited!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo_roses
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012 04:51:06 PM »

Definitely thinking about doing this! I haven't carved any stamps in a while, I should go practice!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Confetti
How to Make a 3-D Paper Snowflake
How to Win a Staring Contest
How to Win a Pie Eating Contest
How to Choose the Right Vase for Your Flower Arrangement
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...