A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I the only one that can't draw men?!?!  (Read 852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simplyshereena
♏The Confused One♏

What?

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2012 09:38:57 PM »

As I look through my artwork, I notice I can only draw women, animals, and some children. I want to have a wide variety in my artwork, and because I love drawing portraits, that leaves only women for me to draw because I cannot draw the opposite gender! When I do try to draw guys, it looks stupid and I give up.

Does anyone else have this issue? How can I get past it? Maybe you can't draw women, but you can draw men; if so, why is that?

Thanks for reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY WEBSITE
☯Loves ATCs!
PLEASE "LIKE" MY FACEBOOK PAGE!
☯Partaking Swaps:
●ONGOING ATC SWAP : JANUARY
UnRuli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012 11:08:53 AM »

The key to drawing anything and everything (especially people) is to draw what you see not what you think you see!  We always tend to draw what we THINK a human face looks like.  Instead concentrate on accurately drawing each portion....sometime s things won't look right to you in the beginning because your mind is overriding what you actually see and is trying to make it look "more human" but if you're drawing the shapes you see you'll find that in the end it is indeed correct.

Men's faces are more angular and if you're trying to draw with a bunch of curves you can wind up making them look lumpy draw in the straight lines making sure to measure the angles of those lines.

Personally, I think drawing women is a little boring.....they're all smooth.  Men, old people and overweight people are FAR more interesting to draw.....there's more character to the shapes to work with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012 09:08:50 PM »

I usually have problems drawing women, I can do it but usually it's only using someone as a model. Men are much easier, I suppose because I'm a guy I'm more familiar with my own shape and form than that of the opposite gender.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
GlindaBunny
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012 02:37:21 PM »

Maybe it's because men aren't as aesthetically pleasing Smiley Smiley Smiley  (just don't tell my husband that)

Joking aside, the males I draw tend to have softer features and sometimes look slightly feminine or boyish.  My style just isn't very... rugged.  I'm sure you'll get the pictures to look more like you want the more you practice.  Have you tried doing a lot of very quick (as in less than 60 seconds) sketches of various males?  That might help you get a feel for the different angles and placement of things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012 06:26:29 AM »

Also try doing some basic dimensional studies of specific body parts. Also consider doing some drawings using a single basic shape to describe the form you're working on (like building a person only using squares, triangles or circles). Generally just to get your hand and brain out of what it's used to 'trying' to draw, also consider doing some 60 second negative space studies of the human form.

It helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 18/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 19/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 11/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 1/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 17/28
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...