A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purses and Messengers based around t-shirts  (Read 1132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NightShiftOriginals

The harder you work, the luckier you get.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2012 03:28:29 AM »

I've recently been not bitten, but DEVOURED by the bag/purse-making bug, and our closets have been thoroughly raided as a result.  All of my bags are made using a very basic messenger bag pattern with different varying pocket placements.  Where the fabric isn't t-shirt, it's either quilting weight cotton fabric, upcycled old jeans, corduroys, or canvas.  I like to interface them with fusible fleece, I think it gives them a nice soft weight without being too plush, but still with some strength to them.  

I hope these inspire you to go breathe some life into your old shirts and dig out some of your old fabric stash.  They've been awesome for me to burn through old supplies that have otherwise been sitting around without any real purpose.

Feel free to ask about any particulars on these projects!  I've got a printable template for bags in this style over here in the discussions forum, if you want to plan your own.

I've had this Woot t-shirt for years and needed to turn it into something awesome! I just love how the print on this shirt framed up so perfectly for a bag, and I got to use up a bunch of my "mystical stars" type prints on the inside.

A messenger bag I made using two of my old Jinx! WoW shirts and lots of quilting fabrics. I did a splatter paint technique on the Horde symbol on the end, using a large Horde shaped sticker and then flicked red paint over the top of it.

A small messenger bag/purse I made for a friend using an old Dr. Pepper t-shirt! I loved combining a bunch of fun fabrics with some of her other favorite things, too!

I haven't worn this old Miss Monster shirt in a very long time, and wanted to try out heavyweight fusible interfacing, so I made a messenger bag with some of my surplus fabrics. This ended up not being nearly as tough as I wanted, but I did have the chance to do a zippered divider pocket, which was neat.

I saw this adorable children's dinosaur shirt at the thrift store and knew I had to make a bag out of it! It's absolutely covered in glitter and had such great dinosaurs on it. Also tried out a new shape for the bottom of my messenger bag flaps, I think I like it.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012 05:04:10 AM by NightShiftOriginals - Reason: Normalizing photo size » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012 07:48:13 AM »

Super. The dino bag came together very nicely, great contrast fabrics. The side pockets are great, too.
The first bag has the best print IN THE WORLD! Just so you know. You're awesome.

ETA: Too bad I already have way more bags than I should or I would take your advice and go use up all thsoe shirts in my "to be used for crafty purposes" pile.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012 07:49:04 AM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
NightShiftOriginals

The harder you work, the luckier you get.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012 06:09:47 PM »

Thank you!  But I have to ask...can you really ever have *too many* bags? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alexxxx
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012 10:58:40 AM »

Thank you!  But I have to ask...can you really ever have *too many* bags? Wink

You can NEVER have too many bags, especially if you can make them Grin

i have had the bag/pouch making bag for MANY years, i reckon its genetic, mum & grandma has same problem Grin

loving your bags especially the dinosaur one
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012 10:59:33 AM by alexxxx » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012 10:40:43 AM »

I love your Dragon bag.  Great way to use up t-shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a String Spiderweb
How to Make Customized Mouse Pads
How to Create Plaster Bones for Halloween
How to Make Fun Magnetic Keepsake Boards for Kids
Skeleton T-Shirt Costume
Latest Blog Articles
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...