A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Olde Curiosity Shoppe Altered Cubby (with Tutorial) PICTURE HEAVY  (Read 1687 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_art , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2012 10:39:34 AM »

I'm a huge fan of Graphic45 papers, so when Alpha Stamps asked if I would do a tutorial for their blog using the "Olde Curiosity Shoppe" line, I was more than happy to comply. I had this rather shoddy little house with cubbies that I found at the thrift store for 79 cents (bargain!). What a perfect base for a curiosity shop!

Here's how I did it:

Find a good object to alter. Often, your local thrift store will be a great source. For this project, I used an 8" by 8" pad of Graphic 45 "Olde Curiosity Shoppe" paper, plus a few of their bigger sheets. Also, lots of fun little toys and trinkets, many purchased from Alpha Stamps.

Paint the entire item black, and choose several coordinating papers for the background of each box. Cut to size, and ink around the edges.

Glue each background into place.

Using Tim Holtz paper tape, cover the edges of each partition. Trim the tape at each intersection, and fold the edges down to wrap the edges of the walls.

Choose a different paper for the floors of each box, and cut to fit. Ink around the edges, and glue into place.

Alpha Stamps papers are filled with great images. Cut design elements from the papers and begin to arrange them in the boxes. When you are sure you know where you want each element to go, attach them to the back with foam tape to add dimension. I used some of the G45 stamps designed to go with these papers for extra elements. In this photo, the crow in the center and the Olde Curiosity Shoppe sign were stamped onto heavy cardstock and cut out for use. 

If youre going to add feet, paint them in colors to match your project. The feet used here are wooden candle cups. I striped them, and then painted the lip turquoise with black polka dots for a little whimsy. Attach to the bottom woth E6000 glue.

Now its time to start playing around with things you might want to include in each box: old wooden spools, doll arms, game pieces, etc. Keep working with your elements! If youre like me, youre going to want to move things around quite a bit before youre happy with placement. Some things may not make the cut, no matter how much you love them. Add some Dresden trim and some metal embellishments. Cover the back, sides and roof with papers. Ink the edges before adhering.

Begin gluing down your 3D elements using E6000 glue. Cut out several butterflies. Fold each one in half, put a thin line of glue along the body of the butterfly, and adhere randomly, making sure the wings stay folded for a 3D effect.

And you're done!

Here's a closeup of the cubbies:

I filled each box with things I already had. Chances are youve got a good stash like this in your craft room. This is a great way to use all the little fun trinkets you have collected. Well, some of them anyway. In my craft room, there are lots more where those came from.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012 11:02:00 AM »

Thank you for the in progress shots. Love seeing how the altered art steps go. Great with all the varied elements. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012 11:04:13 AM »

I saw this house in the Alpha Stamps email I got today, and I thought to myself "That's exactly the kind of cool thing rackycoo makes.". I'm so surprised to see it here--you really did make it!! I love all the little details, it's wonderful, as is everything you make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012 11:12:22 AM »

Thanks! And special thanks to HSG, who was kind enough to send me the severed doll arm in the lower right corner. You know you're a Craftster when things like that arriving in the mail just make your day. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012 12:13:42 PM »

Indeed--receiving an arm in the mail has new meaning to a Craftster... Cheesy

I love the detailed work you put into this!  Each cubby is unique and special yet the whole thing goes together nicely thanks to the lovely papers you used!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

DawnsTrees
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012 01:04:11 PM »

Thank you for sharing your steps! I love the additional details that you do and that you show your cubbies in different arrangements before your final decisions, it definitely helps me get ideas on how to improve my projects!

Love your work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012 06:44:36 PM »

This is so spectacular, racky! The details are really fun to admire! I want to live in one of those cubbies. Probably the one with the dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Richelle88
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012 04:23:01 AM »

I like this Smiley
I have an old little house like this lying around somewhere, maybe I could do something with it..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My english isn't always correct, so excuse me :p
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How to Tie the Perfect Holiday Bow with Tanya Memme
Making DVD Christmas Ornaments with Tanya Memme
Upcycled CD Disco Ball & Jewelry - Do It, Gurl
How to Beautifully Wrap a Bottle of Wine
How to Create a Fall Wreath in Under 30 Minutes
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...