A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crimping  (Read 837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jewel Crafts by Jenn
« on: April 24, 2012 09:35:10 PM »

I started beading last year and when I was introduced to it, I was shown the wonderful world of using crimp beads at the ends to finish up an item.  The more I look back on them, They look like they could be done better, but I'm not sure how.  Here is what I want to know:

How do you finish an item?  Do you use crimp beads?  Do you have any suggestions??

I have tried (several times) to use stretchy elastic to make bracelets and such, but I can't seem to get them to work out well.  I need help! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012 12:13:18 AM »

I find that crimp beads cut into the stretchy elastic and breaks them.  I would rather just tie/knot them and weave the ends in.  I use the crimps instead for pieces using flexible wire like tigertail, or fishing line.  It really depends on what the piece is, because there are so many ways to finish the ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Jewel Crafts by Jenn
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012 08:36:55 AM »

I guess that I wrote that a little confusing. Smiley  I'm not using crimp beads on the elastic, but tried tying knots and they always come undone.

As for the crimp beads, I use them on the flexible wire that I use and I want to make the ends look a little cleaner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012 05:01:28 PM »

Can you post a pic?  What I usually do is turn the wire back on itself so there is a loop end, versus a sharp or fraying wire end.  If it is a thicker gauge wire, you can get a cup burr (I think that is the name) that can be used to round off the ends of wire too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Callatya
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012 10:52:52 AM »

Flexible wire like Tigertail?

There are a few options that are worth considering.

The easiest is getting something called a crimp cover. It is basically a larger hollow crimp that fits over the functional squished crimp to make the whole thing look like a round bead. They are a bit more specialty than crimps so you might need to look in a jewellery-specific shop.

Another option is to use crimping pliers. These are single-purpose pliers that flatten and then fold the crimp bead, making it look rounder. There are some people who find this works, others say it weakens the crimp too much. It likely depends on the quality of the crimp and pliers.

There are also many types of crimps, as well as different lengths and diameters. Getting one that is only just large enough helps avoid the giant flat crimp look Wink

I usually disguise the crimps by making sure they are not the last thing I thread on. Most times people thread their necklace and then a crimp, loop the wire through the finding, back through the crimp, and then squish and cut. That can look really messy. What I find is better is to use one or more crimps and thread beads in between them, like so:

OOOO-O-O&

Does that make sense? So you thread bead > crimp > bead > crimp > bead > clasp > turn around and thread back > crimp > cut wire one or two beads down from the last crimp.

The problem with this method is that you are usually working with small-hole beads that are strung tightly together, so it doesn't always work, but it is a nice easy finish that doesn't require any different supplies or tools Smiley It is also handy if your piece is particularly heavy or if you don't trust your crimps to hold Smiley

Hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jewel Crafts by Jenn
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012 09:31:48 PM »

That actually helps a lot!  I am having my crafting buddy over this weekend and I think I am going to try that. Thanks! Smiley    (I think a lot of my problem is trying to get it tight enough that once I crimp it, the beads are tight up against it.)  I am definitely going to try this though!: )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

celtica
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013 01:18:55 AM »

I don't usually use crimp beads because I find they spoil the look of the piece. This of course could be user error, and I'm not using them correctly Tongue but I find they don't look as 'polished', and there are usually other, prettier, ways of fulfilling the function of a crimp bead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Easy Mac and Cheese
How to Cook Pork Chops With Roasted Apples and Onions
How to Cook Chicken with Broccoli Rice Bowl
Five New Orleans Classic Dishes
How to Cook Steak and Cheese Sandwiches
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...