A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help planning a sampler :).  (Read 517 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« on: April 24, 2012 09:19:21 AM »

I would love to do an old fashioned cross stitch sampler for my little daughter. I'd like to include some images and that 30 days has sept or however it goes rhyme as well as the alphabet, days of the week, months of the year, seasons, continents, oceans, colours, and if there's room a list of different trees or cloud formations or something of that nature (nature related, ha ha).

I'm more than willing to purchase patterns and frankenstitch it all as I like it or to alter a pattern that has some elements that I'm after or to pay to have it designed or to swap for a design but I have always been a sort of random stitcher and don't even know where to begin looking. Does anybody have any resources or know of a person or a place that does custom designs like that?

Thanks so much for any info you've got to pass along, I'm really looking forward to making this for her as a keep sake she can have and pass along to her own babies. It's very exciting to plan!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012 07:18:29 AM »

You could try Etsy for a custom pattern or check out the shared pattern thread (maybe the first page) and see if there are letters and borders you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012 10:55:30 PM »

Sometimes you can get ideas by randomly searching around the internet.  Check out that huge pattern thread!  There are some really wonderful links to things including antique type patterns there.

Also, if you get a chance, pop by a used book store and check out their craft section.  I've found a TON of inspiring and interesting cross stitch books/fliers in those for only a dollar or two.  Or even a Goodwill type thrift store.  Sometimes there are excellent finds there.

If you find them in a local book store, check out some of the stitching magazines.   Stone Creek Cross stitch (or something like that) tends to have lots of antique-ie looking sampler ideas, but the others have some cool sampler stuff from time to time too.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012 06:13:45 AM »

Thanks girls, I will take a look at that (enormous!) thread when I get back from my trip.
I won't be using Etsy though, I finally just had enough of the nonsense reports of their underhanded backstabbery and tomfoolery and deleted my account there. That's got to be one of the least ethical websites out there, I can't believe the level of WTFery. Simply astonishing. http://www.regretsy.com/2012/04/21/the-etsy-featured-reseller-ecologica-malibu/

Thanks for the magazine recommendations, I think I've got my work cut out for me finding all the elements I want for this project. Should be fun though, the last huge single item I took on was a giant tshirt quilt and it was so satisfying to finally finish it. I tend towards impatience so any craft that makes me sit and focus completely is a good thing for me.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Interview with Comic Book Artist Mike Allred
Interview With Veteran Comic Book Artist Herb Trimpe
Interview With Comic Book Illustrator Dale Eagelsham
How to Draw Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean
How to Draw the Joker from Batman
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...