A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,948
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made my own chocolate. How sweet is that?  (Read 741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

p.kok
« on: April 23, 2012 08:40:12 AM »

For the last month our so a new range of ecological products has been extremely popular in my country. Before them, most of us didn't even know than you can actually buy cacao butter. The minute I saw it, I decided I want to try and make my own chocolate:) I love dark chocolate, the darker the better. So I searched the internet for recipes and found out that big companies make chocolate directly from the cacao beans  by roasting them and then making something called chocolate liquor, and then there is a series of other complicated procedures. Which, obviously, I couldn't do.
But a lot of people make chocolate at home using quite simple ingredients: cacao butter, coconut butter, high quality cacao powder, corn syrup/liquid glucose and sugar. So I did that myself! I didn't really measure anything, I just melted the same amounts of the butters, added quite a lot of cacao and some liquid glucose(so the sugars don't crystallize) and some agave syrup (for sweetnes), mixed untill combined, poured in silicone moulds and put in the freezer. After 20 or so minutes, I got chocolate!

(sorry for the crappy mobile phone picture, I'm so excited about this, i couldn't find my camera:))

It's not really like the chocolate you buy, but I like it a lot. The taste is quite similar, with a touch of coconut, but the structure isn't as smooth. I especially love the way it melts in your mouth, which is quite different from the way ordinary chocolate melts and much more pleasant. The best part is that I can control how sweet it is and add different flavouring and experiment. Unfortunately, it's quite an expensive experiment, but hey, Lindt is pretty expensive too:)

Does anyone else have any experiences with making chocolate at home? I would love to learn some tips and tricks:).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012 08:44:29 AM »

Whoa! Way to go p.kok!

I've never made my own chocolate but I would definitely do so if I had the time and supplies. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012 09:38:20 AM »

Chocolate with a touch of coconut sounds divine!  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF NEWS: Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
British Man Spends $150,000 to Keep Up With Kim Kardashian
5 Makeup Tips to Look Younger
Is Makeup Making You Look Older?
Binky London at Clothes Show Live
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...