A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stockinette on circular  (Read 831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2004 10:27:20 AM »

When I knit with circular needles before, the stockinette stitch was on the inside of the tube and the purl bumbs were on the outside fo the tube. Is this the way that it is supposed to be or did I do something wrong? I want to get this right before I begin the marsupial tote from SNB.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bibe
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004 11:26:39 AM »

Your tube would be inside out in this case. Depending on what your would be making, it could make a difference with shapping and other stitches.

Ii would seem that you have been purling if the purl bumps are on the outside. If you want your stockinette to be the outside of the tube, knit every row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004 12:57:00 PM »

Yippee!! I just answered my own question (okay, while I was talking with my sister). Bibe, the way you worded it was the key . . . I actually had the thread coming off the right hand needle instead of the left. Oh well, luckily the purse I made didn't need anything specific with the tube thingy.

Thanks,
Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brae_Day
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004 12:21:06 PM »

Okay, that's where I get stuck.  Once I have joined my round on the Marsupial Tote, I START with the yarn on my left needle, but after one stitch it somehow ends up on the right!  I just can't figure out how.  I've been struggling with this thing forever, but I don't want to just give it up, 'cause it's too cool for that.  Smiley  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004 04:30:39 PM »

I forgot I started this topic  Grin! Brae_Day, you will always have the yarn on your right hand needle after you make the initial joining of the round (not sure why, but there you have it) kind of like it is on the right when you knit on straight needles. I guess that is why they tell you to place a marker when you knit in the round. The marsupial tote is the best . . . quick to knit and super easy once you get the right twist.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brae_Day
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004 10:00:59 PM »

UUUGHHH Maybe I'm doing things wrong from the very beginning.  Okay, so I have my 44 garter stitches on and ready to go.  Do I pick up all of my stitches with my LEFT hand needle?  'Cause that's what I've been doing... when people say "join the round" I don't exactly know what that means which leads me to believe I'm doing it wrong.  What's to join?   Smiley  Thanks for your help, I was a little afraid nobody would respond 'cause this thread is kinda old and short, hehheee...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meexie
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004 12:59:25 AM »

when people say "join the round" I don't exactly know what that means which leads me to believe I'm doing it wrong.  What's to join?   Smiley 

Take a look at these tutorials:
http://www.littleturtleknits.com/circknitting.htm
http://knitting.about.com/library/blroundhowto.htm

Sometimes pictures help more than words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004 01:07:13 AM »

Awesome, that was perfect.  I'm a pretty visual person, so sometimes learning out of books is difficult for me. 

As much as I LOVE the Stitch 'N Bitch book, I wish there were more inbetween steps shown on some stuff than there is.  But hey, luck for me I have Crafster!!  Hopefully my nest post reguarding this freakin' think will be under FINISHED projects.   Smiley

Thanks again for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinytallgirl
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005 09:11:13 PM »

when people say "join the round" I don't exactly know what that means which leads me to believe I'm doing it wrong.  What's to join?   Smiley 

Take a look at these tutorials:
http://www.littleturtleknits.com/circknitting.htm
http://knitting.about.com/library/blroundhowto.htm

Sometimes pictures help more than words!

Thank you for posting http://www.littleturtleknits.com/circknitting.htm   I didn't realize that on circulars...you could knit all the way around withought alternating between k1 row p1 row.

THank you thank you thank you!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Body Lotions and Creams
The Monday Makeover: Plum Eye Tutorial
On the Street with Sara Schaefer: Trendspotting Spring 2014
Switch Up Your Summer to Fall Beauty Routine
Citrus, Turkey, Other Foods to Winter-Proof Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...