A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An homage to Freddie's glam poncho wings....(a bit pic hefty!)  (Read 1072 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« on: December 22, 2011 06:08:34 AM »

I was approached by my boss's sister to make her a top in the style of Zhandra Rhodes' poncho thing she made for Freddie Mercury back in the day. But not quite - she wanted her own spin on it. The big winged sleeves were a MUST. She sings in a covers band - they do all sorts of glam rock tracks - so she wanted something a bit flamboyant, but comfortable to wear on stage. Here was my reference pic - pretty neat, right?!

So we met up a few times over the course of the month for brainstorming, fittings, and more brainstorming. Smiley I have never in my life dealt with so many meters of white satin....ever!! It was insane and a bit annoying to keep it still on the machine....the damn stuff kept slipping around!! ARGH!

After many long days and nights (and yet another fitting of the finished product!!), my boss's sister went away a happy bunny. Cheesy But managed to stick around for some action shots of her in it. Wink I think the bit of the top I was super proud of were the pleated sleeves. Cheesy (and add some elastic wrist bands to keep the sleeves from slipping down whilst she pranced around on stage)

Although I did tell her she would have to take the top to a dry cleaner to get the pleats properly pressed all along the sleeves, as I just had a meager iron that just about did the job!!

The bodicey bit of the top is all fully lined with white polycotton, so it'll be comfy to wear without having a vest top underneath. Smiley *Don't mind all the crap in the background - I didn't have time to sort out my work area! Tongue Tongue

Aww, starting to get all 'empty nest' syndrome that that the top has gone! Tongue But that should do me for the rest of the year. Going to kick it with some coffee and sleep until Xmas.

-x-
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011 06:09:25 AM by TeenageRebelOfTheWeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org. uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
Michelyne

Careful, that's a load-bearing thread!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011 08:07:46 AM »

As a HUGE Freddie fan, and that being my FAVORITE outfit he ever wore, I applaud your effort with a solid THIS ROCKS!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roxyqueen
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012 09:22:45 AM »

Nice job! Makes me a bit misty-eyed to see people bringing back the Glam.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: When a Movie Fails
Sherry Lansing: Pioneer Studio Executive & Philanthropist
Sherry Lansing: True Love at 47
Sherry Lansing: The Choice to Work and Be Single
Sherry Lansing: Worthy of More
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...