A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TARDIS Ornament - Dr. Who fans, check this out!  (Read 3385 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , ornament , tardis , dr_who  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Carrie526
« on: December 15, 2011 11:09:53 PM »

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/394418_1683516103738_1712672836_819203_2143135015_n.jpg

So I decided what my husband needed this year was a TARDIS Christmas Tree ornament...but sadly, such a thing is a rare commodity, especially in the US.  So...I put my crafting hat and came up with this.  I didn't take pictures as I went along, so I hope my description is thorough.  

Materials needed
dark blue felt
gray felt
White felt
glitter paint (non-settling for texture)
Black thread
jewels or embellishments
bead for top
Silver embroidery floss for hanging loop
square piece of balsa wood 3x3
black paint
glue gun
rectangular rhinestones

heat up the glue gun.

Step one: Measurements
cut four 6in by 3.5 in panels of dark blue felt
Cut two 3.5 x 3.5 squares of dark blue felt which then will be cut on the diagonal to make four triangles with a 3.5in base.
Cut 24  1” x ¾ “ rectangles of gray felt ( or 32, see note)
Cut four 3 x .5 in rectangles of white felt (note: if using machine embroidery for words, embroider first,then cut to fit space)
Several strips of felt 1/8 in wide

Meanwhile:  take your balsa wood and paint one side of it black or dark blue.  I suppose you could cover it with felt if you didn't have paint handy.

Ok, back to the felt.  Take two of your panel pieces and sew them together.  I did this on a machine using a 3/8 seam.  One of the tricks on this I used to give the outside more detail was to use outside seams.  Sew all four panels together...you should have a rectangular tube-looking thing.  Set that aside.

Grab those four triangles of dark blue. Sew them together to make a four sided pyramid shape.  The 3.5 inch side of each triangle should be the base of the “pyramid”.

Now the tricky part.  Keeping those “outside seams” sew the pyramid to the tube.  You should have something that looks a little like a pagoda (think oriental building.)trim up your seams (still outside) to take away this look.  ok.  Now you have a little blue outhouse.  Cute, right?  Set that aside for a moment.  

Time for embroidery.  

Ok, so the Tardis has a white strip at the top which says “Police Box” with “public call” in the middle between those words.  I am not so great with hand embroidery, so I used the Monogramming function on my machine to make my sign.  But, however you choose, get those words on the white strip of felt that measures 1/2” x 3in.  

Time to Glue!

When that is done, glue that strip to the front of you box (which ever side you choose).  Get it snug under the roof/panel seam.  Take the 1/8 strips of gray felt and on the front panel, glue three vertical strips, on flush to each side seam and on right down the middle.  Now glue a horizontal strip at the top under the police box sign and at the bottom edge.

Hurry! Go check if your balsa wood is dry and if it is, flip it and paint the other side!

Take the gray rectangles that measure 1in by ¾ in and glue them equally to the front panel.  **Note:  The TARDIS actually has 8 bevels on each side, not six, but sadly, I couldn't double check this when making mine.  So, if you want to do the correct number of eight, simple arrange the rectangles closer together, and if necessary, trim down the height of each on so that they fit, leaving space between each other**.  Now, on the top two bevels, glue four little white “panes”.  Note the pattern on my finished product.

Ok, repeat the gluing process on the other four sides.  I simply put a white strip on the other sides and chose not to embroider each one.  Also, since the middle strip of gray is where the door is, my other three sides were not given that.  I also chose not to put the “windows” on the other three sides

Now back to the front.  

In each corner just inside the gray strips, glue a rectangular shaped rhinestone
Take some glitter glue and make the rest of the panes of your windows, as well as outlining the bevels.  About half way down, on the right side, between the middle strip of gray and one of the bevels, make a small line of glitter glue with a dot beneath. This is the handle and the lock. Allow the glitter glue to set so as not to smear in the next step.

Take a length of the silver embroidery thread.  Thread it through a needle.  Double it up and make a good knot.  Bring the need through the top point of the TARDIS and string your beads that will be your light at the top.  A bead with a small opening needs to be at the top.  Knot the thread close to the top bead, and again farther up to make your hanging loop.  

Grab that balsa wood now.  It should be dry.  

Carefully glue your tardis to the wood and voila!  A TARDIS Ornament!  Thanks for reading!

**Note: I chose not to stuff mine because I didn't want it to look buldgy.  However, this may be a good idea to give the sides a little more stability.**  

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012 02:11:33 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011 04:16:34 AM »

Aww, that's really cute and thank you for the detailed tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Imabiter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011 01:12:50 PM »

That's is very awesome! So much detail. I love it. I posted one last night that I made, but it has no where near the intricacy of yours. Looks professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carrie526
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011 02:12:39 PM »

Thanks!  I had a ton of fun with this.  I saw the one from the pepper can - very ingenious! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWolf
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012 11:20:20 AM »

Just what every tree needs!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OvenOfHappiness
Oven Of Happiness

Fresh baked love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012 11:27:08 PM »

Ahh!  Definitely need to make one (or five) of these this holiday season!  Allons-y!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Difference Between BBQ And Grilling
How to Make Southern Pulled-Pork Sandwiches
Man U: How To Grill
How to Make Sloppy Joes
Firehouse Chef Shares His Chili Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...