A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Great Pink Whale  (Read 4606 times)
Tags for this thread: stuffed_animal , whale  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2012 03:57:40 PM »

A couple weeks ago I met up with a couple friends for coffee, & one of them brought her little five month old girl. The little girl was wearing a whale onesie & we were discussing how much her mom liked whales, the image that kept popping into my head was of me as a baby next to my bear that was bigger than me. I decided that I was going to make her a whale that is bigger than she is! Cheesy

I took this opportunity to make my own pattern, which is something I've done for clothes, but never for plushes. I'm really pleased with how it all went, so I kind of wanted to share.

Sketch, with my size notations. I measured her after she was finished & she is pretty true to size from the sketch, 30" long but a little rounder. Oh well, I think she turned out perfect. Smiley

1/4"=1" scale paper miniature pattern, all taped together.

All the pieces, I forgot to get a good scale picture, so this will have to do to compare to the sewing machine & tissue box on the table. I used a pink fleece for the top (since I was told that is the wee girl's favorite color, lol) & a rainbow tie-dye for the belly because Mom likes rainbows. Also, big green eyes from layers of fleece. All of the seams are double stitched, once at the seam & another line of stitching about a 1/4" into the seam allowance for strength.

Finished product! For her eyes, it was my first attempt ever doing applique. Definitely some changes to make for next time, like the white dots to their specific layer instead of all the way through to the base, & I need more practice following the edges, but not terrible for my first time.

Side view!

Artsy pic!

And finally, the whale with the bear who inspired her creation! Yes, I still have my bear form when I was a baby. Cheesy

The little girl really liked it, she reached out to grab it when she saw it & Mom tells me that when the whale was next to her during her floor time, she wouldn't stop smiling & kicking! Cheesy It makes me very happy & hopefully it is a toy that will last her a long, long time!

Enjoy! C&C always welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teller of Stories, Creator of Worlds, One of the Imagining Ones.
MRDes on FB
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012 04:08:27 PM »

What a great baby toy -- perfect for hugging or tugging or banging around (sorry, but I can just see that tail being grabbed while the body becomes a bonker)!  It looks both cuddly and sturdy, and I bet it'll be around and loved for a long time to come.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012 08:24:52 PM by waterbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bunnie Boo
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012 04:10:16 PM »

Awwww how adorable! I used to have a giant teddy too, he rocked! The wee girl is very lucky  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I am willing to do personal swaps~

~I love MoNsTeRs!!!~
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012 04:23:41 PM »

What a great baby toy -- perfect for hugging or tugging or banging around (sorry, but I can just see that tail being grabbed while the body becomes a bonker)!  It looks both cuddly and sturdy, and I bet it'll being around and loved for a long time to come.

Most definitely! I made sure the fins & tail are attached extra well for that exact reason. lol I made sure to turn it at the front end in a less-tuggable area & probably hand-stitched it across at least a half dozen times, probably a couple more. She is as sturdy as I know how to make things, & yes, very cuddly! Cheesy

Thank you to you both for the kind words! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MRDes on FB
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012 04:55:57 PM »

How adorable!  Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
lonewolf
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012 05:12:57 PM »

that whale turned out so cute! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillrbassett
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012 06:37:42 PM »

Wow!! That's just amazing! What a lucky little girl!

I've never made a pattern myself for anything because I'm not good at scaling things (I never understood how that works). Anyway, I was wondering is there a reason that you made the middle top part of the whale (piece between the eyes that runs to the tail) into two separate pieces sewn together instead of one fat piece? sorry if that question doesn't really make sense. I'm still pretty new to sewing. Thanks!

Also, is she stuffed with just the regular bags of stuffing you buy at joanns? Are there any beaded sections (like beany babies?) I remember being little and loving that parts of animals like the foot or just the appendages were full of little beads. But that could be a problem if the house pet gets ahold of it haha. Just wondering.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012 06:40:40 PM by jillrbassett » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
Painted Sparrow

The Beautiful Ugly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012 07:09:54 PM »

Wow!! That's just amazing! What a lucky little girl!

I've never made a pattern myself for anything because I'm not good at scaling things (I never understood how that works). Anyway, I was wondering is there a reason that you made the middle top part of the whale (piece between the eyes that runs to the tail) into two separate pieces sewn together instead of one fat piece? sorry if that question doesn't really make sense. I'm still pretty new to sewing. Thanks!
Your question makes perfect sense! Originally, I was going to add a blowhole down the top center seam, sort of like a belly button shape, & needed to have a seam there to create that. I was going to sew a snap inside of the blowhole that I could attach fabric or ribbon "water sprays" to it, but I scrapped that because I was concerned about the safety of having a snap on the whale, even if it were buried in a blowhole & no attached pieces while in her possession. Once I scrapped that idea, it was really just a personal choice to keep it in two pieces, I think seams can add character. Smiley To be honest, I don't think having it one way or the other would have any effect on the integrity of the shape & pattern, but I'm not sure. Regarding the scaling, I could post a mini-tute in here if you like for scaling. Just let me know. Smiley

Also, is she stuffed with just the regular bags of stuffing you buy at joanns? Are there any beaded sections (like beany babies?) I remember being little and loving that parts of animals like the foot or just the appendages were full of little beads. But that could be a problem if the house pet gets ahold of it haha. Just wondering.
Just stuffing, I didn't want to worry about poly pellets escaping, especially because she shares a home with a couple of cats & a puppy. Also, I wanted her extra squishy & cuddly with no hard spots. Smiley

Thank you all! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012 07:11:43 PM by Painted Sparrow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MRDes on FB
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012 10:06:27 PM »

So cute! What a great idea and finished product! I, myself, had a stuffed kangaroo bigger than me and her joey which was smaller than me. I still have both of them too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillrbassett
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012 02:46:51 PM »

Ohhh my god! I would LOVE a scaling tut! I know beggars can't be choosers but i would love a scaling tut for bodices or something (I tend to make a lot more clothes than animals) But any sort of scaling tut you'd like to make i'd love to see!!  I've actually been thinking of taking a few sewing classes at a community college just to learn how to draft patterns and a scaling tutorial would be so incredibly helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Message me if you're interested in buying custom costumes.

Sometimes I blog here: http://jillrbassett.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pull Gogi
At Home our Korean Chef Dinah Surh
How to Make a Korean Cucumber Salad
Traditional Korean Feast
Introduction to Life in India
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...