A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Yo-Yos  (Read 6066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daina

There should be a twelve step program for crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008 09:26:43 PM »

OOOOHHH Your colors would make a lovely blanket!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008 08:07:02 AM »

I really like that blanket! I'd forgotten that you can attach these so that they look almost square.

I did go back to the store to get some more of the yo-yo tools.  My daughter is making some extra-large ones, but she doesn't seem to be nearly as addicted to it as I was right away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008 08:13:54 AM »

I've never seen them sewn together in squares like that.  That looks great - and sturdier than the other way. 

One tip if you're doing a lot of these.  I used one of these: http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/t_circle-cutter.aspx and it was a HUGE timesaver.  I could stack and cut multiples - and they came out more "circular" than the ones I cut by hand.  That was 4 years ago, I bet there are other options out there now.  I also used an automatic needle threader/cutter another great time (and frustration) saver - especially since I used a thicker quilting thread.

There are a few quilts made out of these over on the quilting board.  Very cute. 

(and mine - cuz who doesn't want to brag when they actually finish smething this big!)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=191012.msg2007405#msg2007405
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
ThirdMargaret

I'm not happy, I'm cheerful. There's a difference.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008 08:17:40 AM »

Thank you, Susie!!!  I saw that yo-yo tool and thought "how lame, why would you need a tool for that!" but after you talked it through I can see that I DO need one.  I keep a bag of scrap circles, needle and thread in a bag in my car for those waiting time when I didn't bring along another project or book!!  Am I lame?  Probably! Cheesy
But you are not and those are beautiful!  I can't wait to see what you make with them!  I love the idea of a shower curtain...  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008 08:26:49 AM »

KarenLouiseM-  Your quilt is fantastic!  Reproduction fabrics are perfect for a yo-yo quilt. 

Third Margaret- I am the same way about tools, I don't like extra things clogging up my limited space.  This is one of the reasons I've never taken up papercrafting.. too many expensive tools! 

You could probably make a tool of your own using sturdy chipboard and notching out where the stitching holes should go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kleinsch
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008 04:40:02 PM »

Oh, well, I see this is an older post, but there must be a yo yo vibe going on, because I got a yo yo maker in August and was thoroughly addicted for a while. I intend to make a pillow covered with yo yos (front only).

My handy yo yo tip is to use charm pack squares for your yo yos.  They are the perfect size for slipping into the tool, and the fabrics are all color coordinated so you don't have to agonize over selecting fabric (which I do!).  I'm currently in love with the April Cornell "Portugal" charm pack--lovely rosy colors and florals. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
IamSusie
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008 06:13:18 AM »

kleinsch -  You are right that there is a yo-yo vibe going on lately.  This tool won a big award recently at the big Craft Hobby Association trade show and that seems to have raised the profile of the humble, traditional yo-yo.

Charm packs!  What a great idea! I think I have some of those in my stash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

normansan
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008 08:37:25 PM »

Wow, that's a lot of yoyos. Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ziggee
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013 02:03:38 PM »

Here is a picture of the blanket that inspired me to want to make my own.

http://users.egate.net/~eko/Craftster/CIMG0170.JPG

sorry about the focus this was taken with my old camera and it did not like to take close ups.

Was this made with square yo yo's or round yo yos smushed into squares??
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013 02:05:11 PM by kittykill - Reason: Imaged quoted » THIS ROCKS   Logged
treee
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013 12:07:16 AM »

I'm with you. I love the "Clover Yo-Yo Maker" tool. I use the "button & carpet" thread also. I seen a picture of a yo-yo quilt someone made on one of the message boards that I go to. and fell in love. bought me a yo-yo tool and started making them. since then I've made a king size quilt for my bed plus I've made 8 yo-yo throws with backs on them. I buy fat quarters when I see them on sale. I have the heart tool. never used it yet. can you tell me if its easy to use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Importance of a Sprit Leveled Tripod
How to Harmonize colors in an Image
Understand the Difference Between Formal and Informal Symmetry
How to Photograph landscapes with a Telephoto Lens
How to Take a Trees Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...