A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,779
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Round 35 Beltane Bonanza Gallery  (Read 9960 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012 09:38:47 PM »

Hey Betsy! Sweet of you to check in, and I hope you'll come and play with us soon.

Coral necklaces are traditional Ukrainian folk ornament? Geographically speaking, that makes no sense at all, so it must be the result of some ancient trade route to the Mediterranean or something. Interesting.

Maman, what's a mei tai? I know of the Hawaiian cocktail, but that can't be it.

Wulf

I have heard coral was used by Swedes in US colonial days as a necklace for girls as a source of good luck. (Thanks American Girl books!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012 03:21:30 PM »

Coral has been a protective (anti-Evil Eye) charm for babies and children all over the world. That's probably what the Swedish-American charm is for, too. American Girl probably just didn't want to have to explain the Evil Eye! Cheesy

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012 04:40:21 PM »

LOL! You are priceless Wulf!

I received, will have to take nice pics and post! Thank you Rosie1981! It was a great little surprise....I already have a favorite item in the package!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Melissaurus
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012 04:56:40 PM »

Coral has been a protective (anti-Evil Eye) charm for babies and children all over the world. That's probably what the Swedish-American charm is for, too. American Girl probably just didn't want to have to explain the Evil Eye! Cheesy

Wulf

I agree! I know especially with the Bukovynian costumes in my dance group, we're supposed to wear coral, pearl and coin necklaces to ward off the evil eye.

We also have a fantastically effective hand-move that drives away evil spirits. In case any of yous want to try it - you do a VERY fast football-esque shuffle on the spot, and with your arms out in front of you, shake your hands like you're turning doorknobs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quasior
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012 03:08:08 AM »

I wonder if that's why they have 'coins' everywhere in bellydancing and gypsy costumes.  I always assumed they were there for yummy dancing and sound.  I have noticed there are lots of echoes of similar beliefs in different cultures, and that kinda rings true a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quasior
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012 03:17:36 AM »

OMG OMG OMG amazing stuff in the gallery so far!!! loving those fairy houses I'd use them in my fairy garden - in about 6 months - and that Shadow Box - I see the Sabbats represented in one of those!!!  So many things to be inspired by Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012 08:57:03 AM »

http://demilunes.co/?p=1810 it's a Baby Carrier. I think it comes from Tailand but I'm not sure. It's definitely asian
the pic is cool I made a baby carrier like that for my sister 6 years ago she loved it. I think they used it till the baby was 3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whileitsraining
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2012 11:22:04 AM »

Ok here is the first part of my awesome parcel from Sugarsandwich Thank You so much!!!!

A set of headdresses for me and the hubby and a beautiful wire Beltane sign (sorry for the crappy pic )

AMAZING sock god and goddess (check out that embroidery! )

And a ton of goodies for my girls, each girl got a bucket of hair goodies (which we can never have enough of) candies and a bath fizzie and the new baby (who arrives at the end of June) got a tin with a sock and washcloth bouquet and some small bath essentials.  There are also 3 pinwheel wands and a craft for the girls (such an awesome idea BTW) for making coffee filter tie dyed flowers!!!

There is more and I will upload those later, but the new photo editing program I used is annoying and hubby needs some help fixing a door

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clear a space to make a mess!
http://www.wists.com/whileitsraining
sugarsandwitch
I am not bad... I prefer Mischievously Creative.

here I are!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2012 11:41:56 AM »

I am so glad you liked everything! I had a blast.Smiley I hope you and the girls have fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are no longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing! ~Monty Python
Radmom
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2012 12:14:41 PM »

I figure WitchHippie is busy, so I will post the pictures I took. I did also knit a square panel pentacle large enough for an altar table or eventual pillow.

But here is the rest I remembered to take.

shawl  

steampunk Victorian necklace

Large pentacle earrings

Witches necklace broom,moon,and pentacle

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Bacon Perfectly
How to Fry Bacon
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
How the New Orleans Dosant Was Created
Tart and Tangy Tuna Salad Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...